Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs Red Sox, 6/18/19, 7:10 PM

• Please log in to reply
1074 replies to this topic

#1 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

Official Bat Boy

• 2,970 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

The Twins have lost back-to-back games!! Oh my gosh, the world must be coming to an end. On a less extreme note, the Twins are still in first place by more than 10 games, and that is with the Indians playing well. They have only picked up half a game since the start of June. Tonight, the Twins have to win to have a shot at winning the series against the Red Sox with Michael Pineda on the mound.

giphy.gif

The Pitchers:

David Price (4-2, 3.52 ERA, 71 K's) vs Michael Pineda (4-3, 5.04 ERA, 57 K's)

David Price is having the best year he has since he was named to the All-Star team in 2015. The lefty has a 3.52 ERA, with a FIP of 3.18. He is striking out over a batter an inning, and is keeping the ball in the ballpark for the most part. He also doesn't give free passes, so the Twins offense is going to have to step up after not scoring a run last night. Pineda has pitched better as of late, but is still a back of the rotation starter for a reason. The big righty has struggled to put hitters away, with a K/9 of just under 7.5. He is also being bitten by the home run ball, giving up nearly two every nine innings. I suspect Pineda only has a handful of starts left before he is either cut, traded, or moved to the bullpen.

The Lineups:

The Twins

SS J. Polanco S
C Mitch Garver R
DH Nelson Cruz R
LF E. Rosario L
1B C.J. Cron R
RF M. Gonzalez S
3B Miguel Sano R
CF Jake Cave L
2B J. Schoop R

The Red Sox

RF Mookie Betts R
LF A. Benintendi L
DH J. Martinez R
3B R. Devers L
SS X. Bogaerts R
2B Brock Holt L
1B M. Chavis R
CF J. Bradley Jr. L
C C. Vazquez R

C.J Cron has had decent success off of David Price, going .333 in 24 at bats, and has taken him yard once. Max Kepler, who is not in tonights lineup, has gone out of the park against Price, as has Jonathan Schoop. Jake Cave is getting a start in center field, which is interesting as he did not grade out great in the outfield last year. If I was making the lineup card, Marwin would be in left, Eddie in center, and Cave in right. Mitch Garver is hitting 2nd, with Polanco leading off which is a flip flop of the two against lefties so far this year. Mookie Betts has had fantastic success off of Pineda, with two homers and a batting average of .304. Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley Jr. are also both hitting near .300 off of the Twins right hander. It will be very interesting to see how this game turns out. 

Mill's Moments:

1. Byron Buxton Always has Me Scared

Byron Buxton is a fantastic baseball player, especially this year. There are only a few players in the entire game that I would choose to watch ahead of Byron Buxton, however, he is only effective when he is healthy, and he always seems to be unhealthy.I understand that Buxton is not able to prevent his latest injury, but every single game I have a fear that Buxton is just one play away from being out for an extended period of time. Let's hope Buxton is able to be activated in a week, when he is eligible to return.

2. Luis Arraez Promoted

Ehire Adrianza was placed on the 10-day DL along with Byron Buxton. Ehire was absolutely crushing the ball by his standards, which is too bad for both the Twins, and for Ehire. Jake Cave was recalled for Buxton, while Arraez was recalled for Ehire. Last time was saw Arraez up here he played really well, so it is good to see him get another run with the MLB club. However, I am very surprised that Willians was not the player recalled for Ehire, especially with Marwin already serving in his utility role. The turtle is posting an OPS of over 1.000 at Rochester, and is catching every other day. However, I am not disappointed in this decision at all, just surprised. 

This Day in History: 2017 - On Father's Day, Nolan Arenado becomes the fifth major leaguer to hit a walk-off homer to complete a cycle when he blasts a three-run homer off Mark Melancon to beat the Giants at Coors Field, 7-5. The game-ending round tripper caps the team's first four-game sweep of San Francisco in the 25-year history the franchise.

Pick to Click: Jorge Polanco is hitting a triple tonight

Go Twins!!!

• ashbury, Blake, pbrezeasap and 6 others like this

Career Game Thread Record: 18-6

Safe to say I am the key to the Twins' success 

#2 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,123 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:59 PM

Okay, Twins, get 'er done!

• snotboogie and operation mindcrime like this

#3 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,234 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

I see that we signed Ian Krol! Now we have KRULL & CROM!!!!!! :) \m/
  • Blake, nicksaviking, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#4 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,282 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

Willians hitting is certainly great, and fun to follow, but I'd be much more interested in if his approach is different.Is he doing a better job at laying off pitches outside the zone?His ability to make contact is not in question, but his ability to refrain from making contact against slop is.

• Oldgoat_MN, Danchat, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#5 scottz

scottz

• 689 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

I hope our baseball team wins tonight.

• Blake, DocBauer, PDX Twin and 1 other like this

#6 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

Free La Tortuga or this slide will continue!

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

#7 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,123 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:03 PM

Willians hitting is certainly great, and fun to follow, but I'd be much more interested in if his approach is different.Is he doing a better job at laying off pitches outside the zone?His ability to make contact is not in question, but his ability to refrain from making contact against slop is.

Which is better? Someone who puts the ball in play or someone who strikes out? 

#8 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:13 PM

I feel a sweep coming on. We can’t seem to put it together lately (pitching and hitting simultaneously).

#9 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

Without context, that question can’t be answered.

Why are strikeouts so bad? Defenders are better and more athletic now than ever. We’re seeing teams setting scoring records while setting strikeout records.

I don’t get the obsession with preventing strikeouts for sake of squibbing the call in the infield. All of the recent advanced stats trends tells us that’s the opposite of what you want to do.
  • Cap'n Piranha and MVP Nick Punto like this

#10 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,150 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

I didn't catch the Adrianza DL move... so Arraez is back as well. Let's hope the cavalry from AAA is ready to help this lineup out and things going again.

• Oldgoat_MN, operation mindcrime and wabene like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#11 blindeke

blindeke

• 510 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:32 PM

Throwing Cave right into the deep end of the pool, I see.

• operation mindcrime likes this

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,538 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:39 PM

A combination of elite contact skills, but not good control of the strike zone. He’s a keeper though. He’s got baseball sense and it looks like he can catch well enough to make a decent MLB career of it.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#13 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,351 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:04 PM

This has been bugging me all season, but I finally figured out of whom Pineda reminds me. It's not flattering: Sydney Ponson. Big, formerly a star, picked up cheaply. By that standard, Pineda is having a great season!

Edited by PDX Twin, 18 June 2019 - 06:04 PM.

• David HK and Nine of twelve like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#14 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,282 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

Someone who puts the ball in play to the shortstop with a runner on first and only one out is in all likelihood twice as bad as someone who strikes out in the same situation.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#15 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,619 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

Schoop is just such an asset on defense. Goes to his right on that grounder by Devers, and makes it look easy.

/ edit - Can't say the same for Cave on that fly ball by Holt. He got the job done, but looked so uncertain. Can't wait for Buxton to be back.

• wabene likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#16 70charger

70charger

• 4,399 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, but doesn't Kepler grade out as a better CF than Cave? When Buxton is out, Kepler seems like he should be the guy.

• ashbury, nicksaviking and wabene like this

#17 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,436 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

Pinche Price.

What's he doing out there, wearing Murray Oliver's old number 10?

That's not a pitcher's number.  

I hope we eat him alive like a meatball sandwich today.

murray oliver

• 70charger likes this

#18 70charger

70charger

• 4,399 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:37 PM

Also - and I'm just putting this out here - I am in better shape than Michael Pineda. Which means that I have a better body than a professional athlete. Which means I'm basically Fabio.

• ashbury, birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#19 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,024 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

Twins went from the Bomba Boys to Nubbers R' Us in a few short games here.

#20 drock2190

drock2190

• 1,406 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

Went to my first game in 3 years last night. Really got to see this offense in its final form.

• David HK and MVP Nick Punto like this