Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: BOS 2, MIN 0: Offense Squanders Berrios’ Gem

jose berrios jorge polanco nelson cruz eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 755 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:37 AM

I kind of wish we could turn back the clock and have Polanco hit away and ground into a double play just to see how many on here would moan that the Twins didn't advance the runners when only down one run late.I'm not saying bunting was the right play but we have seen Cruz hit sacrifice flies in that situation as well as 2 run base hits in that situation.Its almost like every day is different and sometimes guys come through and sometimes they don't.

Amen, brother. Amen. Polanco was bunting for a hit. Rocco did not call for the sacrifice, Polanco made his own decision. 1-0 pitcher's duel against a good team and that entire side of the infield open makes it a defensible decision to bunt. To say that play lost the game is a head scratcher. That person must have assumed that Polanco would have had a base hit instead of moving up the runners. Then, conveniently point to Cruz hitting a nubber as evidence hunting is bad.
  • Dantes929, Sssuperdave, SwainZag and 3 others like this

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,487 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:54 AM

I'm guessing Polanco was ordered to do that... Personally, all I was thinking about in that situation was avoiding the double play. The sac bunt did that and put two runners in scoring position, and with Cruze and Rosario coming up, that was a reasonable bet to see one or both of them come home. 

You're in a situation where you need that run, so I get it. I do agree that it would have been nice if he was bunting for a base hit... perhaps he was (I didn't see it since I was watching on gameday) and just didn't execute well enough... that is a problem with bunts. 

• Dantes929 and PDX Twin like this

#23 bunt_vs_the_shift

bunt_vs_the_shift

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 56 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:02 AM

Good game, tough loss, some good talkers. 

First, the bunt. Like several others have stated, I don't love the bunt when our best hitter is up with 2 on in a clutch spot. That said, Polanco put it in play, made a close play of it and was about the first guy in 2 games to advance the runners with a productive out. He gave Cruz a chance to tie the game with another productive out. These last 2 games I've been screaming at my TV to advance the runners with guys in scoring position and he did. I would rather have had him swing away, but Polanco was not the reason we lost.

The other thing I'd like to comment on is Parker in the 9th... I don't need to see him anymore in that spot, hope Rocco doesn't either. You can't throw Rogers every night so I'd like to see Harper get more of those looks if Rogers can't go. Other than that, maybe May, but I'm not completely sold on him either. Not many options to throw out there in high leverage spots that are currently on the team. 

• PDX Twin likes this

#24 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,617 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:05 AM

I'm guessing Polanco was ordered to do that...

Rocco discussed that, at about the 1:55 mark in the post-game video in the article. He said Polanco has the latitude to make those decisions. It wasn't called from the bench.

I'll read between the lines and guess that Rocco didn't like the choice very much at all. But he's smart enough not to micro-manage his best players, either.

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, Jerr and 5 others like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:30 AM

Polanco made the decision to bunt. Rocco did not make the decision but he supported the decision.

The decision was completely justifiable in that situation.

Polanco is our best hitter but are we going to lose our minds because he gets on base 4 times out of 10 AB's compared to the other guy who gets on base 3 times out of 10. 

We were down a run in the 8th. The bunt moves two runners into scoring position with Nelson Cruz at the plate. 

Schoop was out at home on a contact play. He stopped because he was going to be out and a rundown allowed others to advance. 

Kepler did not advance... therefore Cruz did not advance. Kepler made the tough to explain mistake but this can be good because the Manager gets to talk with Kepler about it and hopefully Kepler gets better as a result. 

In the end, Kepler's mistake didn't matter because Rosario is awfully cold right now.  

Tomorrow is another day!!! 

• Blake, Jerr, twinsnorth49 and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#26 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:34 AM

Win some, lose some. Go get 'em today. 

Never like bunting with the Twins best hitter, even if the situation may have called for it.

Thought Parker looked better than he had recently. Still not all that good, but better. That said, kinda want to start seeing Harper and Parker switch roles. 

Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:36 AM

Dear Rocco,

I'm lodging my first official complaint of 2019.

You are overusing Blake Parker at the moment. I'm not saying that he should be cut, I'm not saying that you can never use him again but, you've got to back off on his usage at the moment. 

Sincerely,

Riverbrian

• bunt_vs_the_shift likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#28 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 959 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

I was at the game and time after time, Twins' hitters did not produce.

It's great when a deep team are all hitting, but when they aren't, you need a player to step forward, and that has not happened recently.

As for Parker, just watching him from 3rd base side, he has to heave the ball toward the plate like he's throwing a shot put. No fluidity there, no rubber band effect.

With all his might, here comes the ball, like a sailor throwing something overboard.

• ashbury likes this

#29 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,122 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:48 AM

Dear Rocco,

You are overusing Blake Parker at the moment. I'm not saying that he should be cut, I'm not saying that you can never use him again but, you've got to back off on his usage at the moment. 

Sincerely,

Riverbrian

Give Parker the low leverage situation and see if he can turn it into a high-leverage situation? 

• ashbury, Steve Lein, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

#30 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,122 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

No matter your take, this is the kind of pitching performance needed, should the Twins make the playoffs.

Yeah, I know the Twins are 10 games up, but, I'm not counting my playoffs until the first game starts.

• Jerr and Dantes929 like this

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:54 AM

Amen, brother. Amen. Polanco was bunting for a hit. Rocco did not call for the sacrifice, Polanco made his own decision. 1-0 pitcher's duel against a good team and that entire side of the infield open makes it a defensible decision to bunt. To say that play lost the game is a head scratcher. That person must have assumed that Polanco would have had a base hit instead of moving up the runners. Then, conveniently point to Cruz hitting a nubber as evidence hunting is bad.

He may have made the decision to bunt on his own, but it wasn't a bunt for a hit. He squared away earlier in the AB, any element of surprise was gone, and he squared away so early there wasn't any question his first objective was to sacrifice.

The "entire side of the infield" wasn't open. Boston wasn't in a shift.

I don't think anyone has said that one play lost the game. IMO it certainly contributed, however. 

As for the DP, Polanco has grounded into 3 DPs this year, in 274 ABs...a little over 1 percent chance. He's hitting in the .330's, so he had roughly 30 times more chance of a hit than grounding into a DP. If you just take ABs with runners on 1st, 1st and 2nd, or bases loaded, he has 67 ABs, so about a 4 percent chance of grounding into a DP. And that, of course, ignores the possibility of a walk. He might also have advanced both runners, or one runner, while making an out. And, of course, he might have roped a double into the corner, setting up a big inning and putting the game away.

The entire subject of DPs, for that matter, is too insignificant to worry about. The Twins have grounded into 41 DPs this year, in over 2700 PAs. Too rare to give up one out intentionally on the chance of not giving up two.

BTW, it's not "convenient" to point out the strategy failed. Simply moving a runner from second to third is no guarantee the run will score. 

• Brock Beauchamp, Steve Lein, denarded and 4 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#32 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:00 AM

Dear Rocco,

Sincerely,

Riverbrian

Parker has appeared 7 times in June, for a total of 5 IP. Four times since June 7th. 

He's not being overused, he's simply not very good. It's 2019, every reliever will be used, used fairly frequently, and often pitch in situations where runs are extremely likely to impact the game. 

Who should be pitching those innings, if not Parker?

• SpicyGarvSauce likes this

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

Makes me sick to see guys here piling on Polanco. Dude actually did his job - something most Twins hitters didn't do!

A normal grounder to the right side by Cruz, a sac fly by Cruz - pretty much anything aside from a nubber to the mound and we're tied.

Criticizing Polanco is like criticizing Berrios for giving up that 1 run. There are lots of hitters to blame for last night's loss, none of them are named Polanco.

There are lots of games left, I know losing 2 in a row makes everyone grumpy but these things happen. The Twins coaches will have to start coaching and getting guys to make adjustments pretty soon but this team should be fine.

The infield was in.

#34 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,635 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

This is my kind of game. I don't like football scores. It was a tight end with great pitching and I like the bunt. Just one of the other commenters stated polanco did his job. What was needed was for the runners and the subsequent batteries to do theirs.
  • PDX Twin likes this

#35 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 868 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

Any of the relief pitchers they traded for, oh wait!

• USAFChief, Blake, Highabove and 1 other like this

#36 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,010 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

I didn't like the Polanco bunt, mostly because I though Brewer was the pitcher to attack and he doesn't have the best control.However, given the game situation, it's still a justifiable play.It was well executed.

Rosario got himself out against Brewer.I would almost bet that the mound visit involved something along the lines of "Don't give this guy anything to hit" .... I can't blame Eddie for trying to get the big hit because that's what he does and he has, but patience in that PA could have loaded the bases for Cron against a bad control pitcher with a lot of pressure on him.

The Parker results were as expected. That 0-2 pitch to Boegarts was just dumb.

Berrios is a rock.He has got to be a contract priority soon.Don't let him get away like Johan.

I just don't understand the Cruz bashing.He's been a godsend to this lineup.It's a round ball and a round bat ... You will get the bad spin.I'd take Cruz in that PA 10 of the next 10 times.

• USAFChief, 70charger and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

#37 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

I will put myself in the precarious position of Blake Parker defender. It's not a glamorous job, but somebody's gotta do it! :)

Before I start, I just want to say that in no way am I trying to advocate for him to continue pitching in high-leverage situations. But, I am going to back down from an earlier take I had saying that he needs a 10-day stay on the IL. Why?

I'm encouraged that we're seeing the splitter more. His usage of that pitch has gone up from 20.3% and 20.7% in April and May to 33.6% in June. If he's going to be productive, he needs that pitch. I was also happy to see his four seamer averaged 92.6 mph last night, nearly a full mph above where it's been sitting on the season.

He should slide down in the pecking order, and each outing should continue to be monitored very closely, but I actually think last night was a good step forward. The Bogaerts RBI double came on a pitch that was a few inches off the plate, exactly where Castro wanted it. I think that was more a good piece of hitting than a bad pitch.

We've seen Parker pitch much worse and not give up any runs. Hmm ... somehow I feel like that may not make people feel any better, ha!

• Blake and Riverbrian like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#38 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,653 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:51 AM

a couple points about the bunt:

If it had been more a try for a bunt hit, I wouldn't mind as much.

IMO, intentional outs do more to relieve pressure off the pitcher than anything else. In this case, I felt that's exactly what it accomplished. I was watching Boston's broadcast, they were both surprised to see Polanco square off there.

A sacrifice reduces the chance of multiple runs. With the Twins bullpen, I'm not so sure playing for a tie there is good strategy.

And finally, I can only speak for myself...but I will never second guess a decision not to sac bunt. There might be times late in games where I don't hate them, but I will never question not using them. You only get 3 outs per inning. Giving away one of them intentionally just doesn't appeal to me.

I'm way more concerned about the bullpen than last night's offense anyway.

To be honest, I didn't see the play and assumed hit was at least a little in Polanco's mind. I think major leaguers are surprisingly so-so defending bunts and they really don't like them. I would have liked to see the game at least tied there and if we had scored both the runs and won 2-1 I am not sure we have this discussion. I do believe you when you say you would not have criticized if he hit into a double play and there are those who would have been advocating sacrifice, and that there is a third group that would wait to see the results before taking a position. I am in the 4th group. Late in the ball game, down one. Good hitter up but good RBI guy behind him and home field. I am ok either way, but I think I have a little more faith in the bullpen than you do.Bummer the results didn't go our way.

• USAFChief and Blake like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#39 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

Polanco, Odorizzi, Berrios are the only Twins who deserve to be elected to the all star game.

I would add Berrios, Kepler and Garver.

• Don Walcott likes this

#40 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,200 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:05 AM

Parker has appeared 7 times in June, for a total of 5 IP. Four times since June 7th. 

He's not being overused, he's simply not very good. It's 2019, every reliever will be used, used fairly frequently, and often pitch in situations where runs are extremely likely to impact the game. 

Well... We have 8 relievers in the bullpen and the starting pitching still carrying the bulk of the water so nobody is being overused in that sense.

But... you are right... He is simply not very good (as of lately). 

Parker has made 7 appearances in June.

8 appearances since spitting up a couple of runs against the Brewers (which was the beginning of his slide downward) on May 28th. He hasn't had a clean inning in any of those appearances with his ERA rising from 1.04 to 4.44 in a very short span of time. Those appearances have been high leverage primarily especially with Rogers down for a significant portion of the time. 

Prior to this downward slide... Parker had made 19 appearances... Not Allowing a run in 17 of those 19 appearances. 

These things happen from time to time and I'm not saying that we should just toss him aside for good but at the moment he is struggling so lessen his work load at least in terms of leverage (at least temporarily) and give those innings to someone else. 

Yeah... I know the big question... Just who is Baldelli supposed to turn to?

I don't care... Anybody else not named Magill because Magill is in the same boat as Parker at the moment. 

It is not my job to staff the roster. It is the job of the front office to provide the manager with options who can (at the very least) perform better than a guy who has a 1.83 WHIP in high leverage and can't seem to find the zero to hang. . 

It's the Logan Morrison from last year argument all over again. 

Riverbrian: Quit Playing Logan Morrison everyday

Others: Who else is Molitor going to play... We don't have anybody else to play. 

Riverbrian: I don't care... We are allowed a roster of 25 players just like everybody else. If we can't find a player to out perform Logan Morrison we have failed as an organization and we won't ever find a player who can out perform Logan Morrison if you don't play that player.  

I'm allowing the front office to choose who they roster without complaint... I am going to stay consistent with what I said I was going to do. That is watch deployment of that roster. 

It's June and I have for the first time reached the point of taking issue.  

• Blake likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, jorge polanco, nelson cruz, eddie rosario