Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Target: Luis Castillo

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Cornholio

Cornholio

Elizabethton Twins

• 31 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

With the Reds in a seemingly perpetual rebuild, what would a package for Castillo look like? They also have some other arms that may be of interest, such as Iglesias, Lorenzen, Gray, or Roark. Personally I would love to get Castillo, but I’m sure the cost would hurt a bunch.
  • glunn likes this

#2 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 937 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

With the Reds in a seemingly perpetual rebuild, what would a package for Castillo look like? They also have some other arms that may be of interest, such as Iglesias, Lorenzen, Gray, or Roark. Personally I would love to get Castillo, but I’m sure the cost would hurt a bunch.

I would give them either Royce Lewis or Alex Kirilloff along with Fernando Romero, Alcala, luke Raley and Nick Gordon

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

As much as I'd like Castillo, he hasn't even reached arbitration yet, and I believe the Reds have three years of control after this year.I don't think he'd be available at all.It would be similar (though not a perfect comparison) to us trading Berrios last year.

That said, it'd take a king's ransom.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 16 June 2019 - 07:23 PM.

• nicksaviking, Danchat and Respy like this

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,132 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:30 PM

For one moment I was back at 2006 :)

• ashbury, Puckett34, nicksaviking and 11 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,685 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:04 AM

For one moment I was back at 2006 :)

I've been pretty happy with the output at 2b. Not sure we'd want a slap hitting leadoff guy. Guess some are high on him though...
  • ashbury, USAFChief, Jerr and 3 others like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#6 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,061 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:26 AM

Scott Tyler and Travis Bowyer

• ashbury, USAFChief, howeda7 and 3 others like this

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,487 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:39 AM

As much as I'd like Castillo, he hasn't even reached arbitration yet, and I believe the Reds have three years of control after this year.I don't think he'd be available at all.It would be similar (though not a perfect comparison) to us trading Berrios last year.

That said, it'd take a king's ransom.

I guess it depends on when the Reds think their next window will be and whether Castillo fits into it. I'd have no problems giving the kings ransom for him. He's a starter for the next 3 years, so that helps us with some of the 2020 rotation issues that have been discussed here. It probably moves Perez to the pen... and I think he'd be pretty good there personally. 

#8 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 989 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

No way in hell would the reds trade Castillo, he will be a fixture of their rotation. Maybe 3 years from now?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#9 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

I say we wait a couple years, and get him for Drew Butera and Dustin Martin instead.

Edit fun fact: Dustin Martin never made it to MLB, but is still active in pro ball as recently as this past winter in Mexico:

https://www.baseball...id=martin002dus

Edited by spycake, 17 June 2019 - 08:26 AM.

• ashbury, GCTF, notoriousgod71 and 1 other like this

#10 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

I wouldn't say the Reds are in a perpetual rebuild. They were a perennial contended who started their rebuild midway through 2015, as they were about to lose some pending FA, and they expected they were ready to take a step forward this year. Seems like a reasonable timeline.

In addition to Castillo under long-term control, they've extended Suarez and Gray, and they just promoted top prospect Senzel this year. They still have Iglesias for a few years more in the pen if they want, plus emerging relievers like Garrett, Stephenson, etc. They've got a few other recent top 100 prospects like Winker and Mahle contributing. They're far from perfect but they're not about to tear the club down.

They absolutely should be sellers this year, but I'd expect that to mean expiring contracts (Roark, Puig), and maybe relievers. To pry Castillo could take multiple elite prospects, and frankly I'm not even sure the Twins could pay that price right now even if we wanted to, with Lewis scuffling, Kirilloff sidelined with more wrist problems, and Graterol shut down with shoulder concerns.

(Edit: not to say those guys aren't still top prospects, but they're not exactly at peak value at the moment either.)

Edited by spycake, 17 June 2019 - 08:29 AM.

• PseudoSABR, dgwills and jkcarew like this

#11 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

I remember the wailing and knashing of teeth on BYTO over trading those valuable prospects. (OK, I don't, but you know it happened.)

Edited by howeda7, 17 June 2019 - 10:52 AM.

#12 Respy

Respy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts
  • LocationNorth 'Burbs

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

I think he would cost an arm and a leg, and probably another arm and another leg.

#13 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:24 AM

I remember the wailing and knashing of teeth on BYTO over trading those valuable prospects. (OK, I don't, but you know it happened.)

I don't know about Twins forum archives from back then, but Gleeman fully endorsed the Castillo acquisition:

https://aarongleeman...2005/12/page/4/

Keep in mind, the Twins already had a pretty good bullpen at the time, and filled a pretty big hole on a hopeful contending team (Punto was our primary 2B in 2005, and posted a 68 OPS+).

Edit: this Twins email list endorsed it too:

https://apple.ease.l...&O=&D=&TOC=&S=b

Edited by spycake, 17 June 2019 - 11:35 AM.

#14 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

I think he would cost an arm and a leg, and probably another arm and another leg.

So... Brian Duensing?

• dgwills likes this

#15 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

MhpVB.gif

Not that serious.

• tvagle likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,617 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:57 AM

Not that serious.

Maybe they'll let us put it on the cuff.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#17 Twins33

Twins33

• 506 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 01:22 PM

With the amount of control left, wouldn't surprise me if it cost Lewis AND Kirilloff.

Otherwise, one of Lewis/Kirilloff, Graterol and Larnach? Maybe someone else too.

#18 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,061 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

Oh, I remember it. Along with the meltdown over trading Kielty "Who is better than Stewart is NOW" for Shannon Stewart, although that was the ESPN days.

• USAFChief likes this

#19 a-wan

a-wan

• 199 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:51 PM

Once Bowyer gets command of that sinker, watch out.
  • USAFChief, GCTF and spycake like this

#20 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,356 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

That would be more than just a flesh wound.