Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: KC 8, MIN 6: Struggles With Men on Base, Errors Prove Costly

martin perez max kepler nelson cruz mike morin mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:51 AM

A team always needs to play well if they want to win a game, much less sweep a series.

Twins did not do that, not with the bat, not with the glove, not with the baseball on the mound.

So, they're human, and in my estimation, certainly not a juggernaut.

But, they are fun to watch and it's been a great season to this point.

#22 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

every time I see an umpire start making a dramatic pause before calling a strike or an out, I think to myself "there's a guy who isn't confident in what he's calling and trying to cover it". Not usually a good sign.

But the Twins really have no one to blame but themselves for letting this one slip away. Loads of opportunities with the bases full and they didn't hammer it through. I'm also getting a bit more nervous about the D. Rosario is getting sloppier out there, Sano has piled up quite a few errors in a hurry and it seems to be hitting a lot of guys all at once. I thinkthey'll be fine, but they need to tighten it up a little.

Another terrific game from Kepler who is quietly having an all-star season, easily his best yet. The extension the Twins signed with him is looking almost as smart as Polanco's. He's finally taken that offensive leap forward and the defense plays every night whether it's in RF or CF. Hopefully he doesn't do a late season swoon this year; that's really about the only potential knock left.

• 70charger likes this

#23 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

So far the Twins look like a great regular season team, which is awesome. However, they have had too many defensive letdowns and shaky bullpen outings for me to consider them actual WS contenders, personally. Not to mention you never know what you are going to get from Gibson/Perez/Pineda on a nightly (or even inning-to-inning) basis. 

• bighat likes this

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#24 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,127 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

I fear the league has figured out Perez's new bag of tricks. He's rapidly transformed back into the normal ineffective Martin Perez that Texas chose to let walk last year.

I think we should all be happy he had that early season success, but right now he's back to being the 5th-ranked starter on this team. He's also performed poorly out of the bullpen, and nobody will want him in a trade, all of which leaves this team in a tough spot.. At this rate I can't see the Twins picking up his option at the end of the year.

#25 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

what is the issue with Martin Perez?? the early season success has quickly evaporated away.I don't get to view the Twins games here in NE Florida, so I'm only able to see what the local Minn fans are sawing about Perez and his inability to stay away from one or two ugly innings.Plus, the errors, and walks by our pitchers, along with wild pitches?we saw a clean performance by the Twins for months, now it's showing a leak in the damn, and the middle relief is bad, not OK, really bad. Morin, again today inning and a third, 3 runs, and I believe all 3 were unearned dueTwins errors, 

I'm definitely not a pitching coach, but to me it seems like his control is either on or off. When he was in the bullpen in April it was off and there weren't results. If he's throwing 60-70% strikes he gets results.

Though that's probably the case for any pitcher, to a point.

#26 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

Just win the upcoming Boston series and keep the mo going. Some losses are actually good in the long season and this was one of them. It was one of the 60 guaranteed to happen and the Twins do not want to get too far ahead of themselves.

#27 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 17 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

The best part about abad game, is I can turn it off and walk away.Reading about it doesn't make it better, but I do it anyway.:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: martin perez, max kepler, nelson cruz, mike morin, mitch garver