Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 2, KC 0: Gibson Shines on Night Honoring Mauer, Prince

kyle gibson mitch garver joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

One for the suggestion box: I like how you have pared down the top twenty list to only those who played. Now that you have a little extra space how about having a season stat line to go with their days performance for overall perspective (for the lazy man)?

#22 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,935 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:12 AM

I find it interesting that Gibson was pulled even though he was never really in trouble last night.

Great way to go, though. 8 innings by Gibson then Rodgers to finish the game.

Maybe this game is the "El Gasolina" moment for this team, where the bullpen was frayed then Berenguer came in for a spot start and threw 8 innings?

I refuse to listen to anyone who would complain about Gibby not getting a complete game.YES he had only 88 pitches thrown and two hits allowed with just three outs to go.It would have been great to see a complete game, but then I have a hard time questioning it.We won.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

Unfortunately only one Rogers in the bullpen. I really don't think Rogers needed for this game.

It was a close game and Rogers hadn't pitched in eight (!) days.

It was a smart move to bring in Taylor. He needed game action to stay fresh and the game was close enough that bringing in your best reliever for the ninth made sense.

The Twins are playing the Royals, not the Yankees. Odorizzi starts today. There's a good chance Rogers isn't even needed for the rest of the series and I'd much rather see Rogers pitch a meaningful ninth last night than to pitch the eighth in an 8-3 game tomorrow just because his arm needs to throw an inning.

• Jerr, DocBauer, JLease and 3 others like this

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,423 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

Unfortunately only one Rogers in the bullpen. I really don't think Rogers needed for this game.

Gibson pitched great, Rogers is back. The Twins win. 

"Unfortunately" is the first word you type.:)

• Blake, DocBauer, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#25 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 477 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

I liked KCs pitcher keller. Nice aggressive approach.

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,447 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

Gibson pitched great, Rogers is back. The Twins win.

"Unfortunately" is the first word you type. :)

well it IS unfortunate.

Complete game wins are worth more in the standings than regular wins.
  • Blake, Riverbrian and Don Walcott like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#27 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 659 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:41 AM

Gibson's stuff has been looking good all year, it's felt like just a matter of time before he put it all together again. (LENIII was on this track re: Gibson yesterday on KFAN) KC's a good team to get well against right now, but I feel pretty good about Gibson regardless. I totally agree with the decision to pull him for the 9th and send in Rogers. It's the right play based on the game situation, our bullpen situation, and our team.

The rest of June is interesting from a schedule perspective: KC, Bos, KC, TB, CHW. Quite a few wins to found there, and an opportunity to push the White Sox into seller territory.

#28 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,242 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 15 June 2019 - 11:23 AM

I would have like to see the CG, especially as everything was lining up perfectly for it. But it was also good to see Rogers back.

That's "Rogers" who is our best reliever and potential All-Star, not "Rodgers." Seriously, can we all just get the spelling of this guy's name right from now on?

• h2oface likes this

#29 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,693 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

First of all, to all the Nibwits, I swear I heard Gibson all the way out here in LA, yell "BITE ME!" during his after game shower. Never fear, the nibwits will still be holding on to the past and will be biting at the bit to bring out their favorite, tired, lame greatest hit at the first sign of a bit of a control struggle in a future game. They just can't help themselves, like a skipping vinyl record.

What a great game...... to win. It would have been a tragically sad one to lose. But good teams win the close ones. I have no problem, as it turned out, to have Rogers, on his first appearance back from the minor back problem that made him sit and rest, close out the game. 

But.....count me as one that still wants to see the rare complete game shutout. This was not a game that was pushing a pitcher that had already reached 120 pitches after the 8th. He was averaging 11 pitches per inning, and at 88, throwing a 2 hitter, was still dominating. And he now had a 2 run lead. You could send him out and see if he goes 1-2-3. If he gets a runner on, Rogers is still ready, and he can just ignore that runner, and pretend he started the inning with a one run lead, and the bases empty.

Mind games aside, there was no downside whatsoever to let Gibson start the 9th and give him a shot at the shutout. Silly vanity stats, you say? Not near as silly as equating 12 pitches under 100 in a game, ONE GAME, a shutout game that is so rare these days.......one game in June.... to be so important for saving him in October. And complete game shutouts still mean a lot to a starter. That alone, and the added confidence it can give him, is worth giving him the 9th.

• Don Walcott likes this

#30 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,693 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:57 PM

That's "Rogers" who is our best reliever and potential All-Star, not "Rodgers." Seriously, can we all just get the spelling of this guy's name right from now on?

Good luck with that. I still see Gaterol (he wants his r back) all the time, at least 5 to 6 different versions of Kirilloff, and Pressly is still getting abused and he isn't even on the team any more. Plus waiting in the wings...... Balazovic and Rortvedt, among others. Rogers seems like a relatively easy one to conquer, though (I hope I don't falter, myself). Hell, I still see an occasional Maurer! (Hey, there is where Graterol's r went)

• Don Walcott likes this

#31 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,397 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:08 PM

Good luck with that. I still see Gaterol (he wants his r back) all the time, at least 5 to 6 different versions of Kirilloff, and Pressly is still getting abused and he isn't even on the team any more. Plus waiting in the wings...... Balazovic and Rortvedt, among others. Rogers seems like a relatively easy one to conquer, though (I hope I don't falter, myself). Hell, I still see an occasional Maurer!

Thank goodness they traded Doug Mintkiewiczx and A.J. Pierzinski. I never could get those right. 

• Don Walcott likes this

#32 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:52 PM

The Twins have 94 games left. If they play no better than .500 ball the rest of the way that would be 47more wins, which would give us a 93 win season. Prior to the season I would have been very happy if they finished with 93 wins, however 100 wins seems more and more plausible every day.

• 70charger likes this

#33 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:15 PM

It was a close game and Rogers hadn't pitched in eight (!) days.

It was a smart move to bring in Taylor. He needed game action to stay fresh and the game was close enough that bringing in your best reliever for the ninth made sense.

The Twins are playing the Royals, not the Yankees. Odorizzi starts today. There's a good chance Rogers isn't even needed for the rest of the series and I'd much rather see Rogers pitch a meaningful ninth last night than to pitch the eighth in an 8-3 game tomorrow just because his arm needs to throw an inning.

Well game is close today, Rogers is really needed.

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:17 PM

Well game is close today, Rogers is really needed.

AFAIK, there's no reason he shouldn't be available today. He didn't pitch for eight days, after all.

#35 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

Let's see if Rogers is effective working two days in a row.

Edited by jz7233, 15 June 2019 - 08:32 PM.

#36 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

Let's see if Rogers is effective playing two days in a row.

Four of Rogers's 7 earned runs this season have come with 0 days rest, in just 5 2/3 innings. So it seems like there is some validity to your concern, allowing for SSS of course.

https://www.baseball...1&t=p&year=2019

• jz7233 likes this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, mitch garver, joe mauer