Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 2, KC 0: Gibson Shines on Night Honoring Mauer, Prince

kyle gibson mitch garver joe mauer
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Thieres Rabelo

Thieres Rabelo

Elizabethton Twins

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

It was a special night for Joe Mauer and for the memory of Prince, as both Minnesota legends were honored before a sellout crowd at Target Field. But it sure was also a very special night for Kyle Gibson, as he was dealing, and hopefully regained some momentum in the season.Box Score
Gibson: 8.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 62.5% strikes (55 of 88 pitches)
Bullpen: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Home Runs: Garver (11)
Multi-Hit Games: Adrianza (2-for-3)

WPA of +0.1: Gibson .566, Garver .276
WPA of -0.1: Polanco -.133, Rosario -.133, Schoop -.279
Download attachment: Win614.png
(chart via FanGraphs)

What we witnessed tonight wasn't even new. Gibson has been one of the most solid and trustworthy starters for the Twins in roughly the past two years. However, he was coming off a very rough start in which he gave up five earned runs over five innings against the Tigers last Saturday. That was the fourth time this season he gave up at least four earned runs.

Still, he's got plenty of credit. Entering the game, Gibby already led the Twins starters this year in swinging strike rate, at 13.9%, a career high for him. That ranks 14th among all pitchers in baseball. And this was the version of Kyle that led the Twins in this game, as he got 11 swinging strikes. During the sixth inning, Gibby also became the 11th pitcher in history to toss 1,000 innings in a Twins uniform. A nice addition to go with the night of memories and milestones,

The offense had a rare bad game, as the Twins' lineup struggled against Royals' starter Brad Keller. He gave up only three hits. The Twins went 0-for-5 with men in scoring position and grounded into two double plays. But this is the 2019 Twins offense we're talking about.

They managed to win this game with one swing of the bat late, as Mitch Garver hit a clutch home run in the bottom of the eighth against reliever Jake Diekman.

SETH EDIT/UPDATE: I recorded the interview with Mitch Garver following the game. Check it out here:

Taylor Rogers, the sole superstar in the recently unstable Twins bullpen, earned his seventh save of the season with only ten pitches. He came in to the game in the ninth inning even though Gibson had only 88 pitches at that point. It was Roger’s first outing in over a week and he showed he’s still sharp.

Minnesota improves to 46-22, which is a season-best 24 games over .500. The Twins also maintained a comfortable lead in the AL Central, now sitting at 11 games ahead of Cleveland, and still have the best record in baseball. You couldn’t ask for a better Mauer/Prince celebration.
Postgame With Baldelli

Bullpen Usage
Here’s a quick look at the number of pitches thrown by the bullpen over the past five days:
Download attachment: Pen614.png

Click here to view the article
  • USAFChief, glunn, Jerr and 1 other like this

#2 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

Today is Friday, June 14 and it was the 68th game of the year.The Twins are now 42%of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 29th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 317 home runs this season.

• USAFChief, glunn, Jerr and 4 others like this

#3 Cglidds

Cglidds

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:51 PM

Gibby gets it done! No nibbling tonight! Well done!
  • glunn, Dman, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

#4 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

The high-scoring games are a lot of fun, but I love the low scoring W's.
  • Danchat, Huffmental, hybridbear and 2 others like this

#5 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

Great pitchers' duel tonight. I enjoyed it very much.Gibby was awesome all night. Do any of you think he should have gone out to pitch the ninth inning? I would have liked that...but Rocco wants to win ball games. I guess that is the purpose of the game. And win they did.

• glunn, Huffmental, hybridbear and 1 other like this

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,422 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:19 PM

Some great stuff after the game:

Asked when he knew he had all four pitches tonight, Gibson said "It definitely wasn't in the bullpen. That was about as erratic as I've been in awhile. Just didn't feel good. I don't know what was going on. I feel like I slept on my right arm last night."

Gibson said that he didn't know if he would or wouldn't pitch until after the Garver home run. "It wasn't a discussion until Garv hit the homer, then they got Rog hot."

Asked if he cared about whether or not he got the 9th, Gibson said, "I always care. Rocco and Wes and everybody that's been around me knows that I never want to come out of the game. I asked if I could go until I got a runner on, and he quickly said No, they were bringing Rog in."

To reach 1000 innings with the Twins: "It's pretty cool. It really caught me off guard." He continued, "For it to happen and catch me off guard is really cool. I have a lot to be thankful for. It's been a really fun organization to be a part ot."

• Carole Keller, glunn, Blake and 11 others like this

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,422 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

I added Garver's post-game interview to the article... He's got good stuff on Gibson's performance but also on the huge home run... Love that he went up there thinking homer... then had to step out and re-set himself... Didn't know it was out... He also basically admitted that he peaked at the launch angle and exit velocity as he rounded the bases and said that it's pretty much exactly what you want. First curtain call. The emotion of the moment. The fan reaction... pretty special.

• Carole Keller, glunn, Blake and 9 others like this

#8 Monticore

Monticore

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:32 PM

Gibson was terrific but I'm glad he brought in Rogers.
  • glunn, tarheeltwinsfan, Aerodeliria and 1 other like this

#9 Thieres Rabelo

Thieres Rabelo

Elizabethton Twins

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:37 PM

Some great stuff after the game:

Asked when he knew he had all four pitches tonight, Gibson said "It definitely wasn't in the bullpen. That was about as erratic as I've been in awhile. Just didn't feel good. I don't know what was going on. I feel like I slept on my right arm last night."

Gibson said that he didn't know if he would or wouldn't pitch until after the Garver home run. "It wasn't a discussion until Garv hit the homer, then they got Rog hot."

Asked if he cared about whether or not he got the 9th, Gibson said, "I always care. Rocco and Wes and everybody that's been around me knows that I never want to come out of the game. I asked if I could go until I got a runner on, and he quickly said No, they were bringing Rog in."

To reach 1000 innings with the Twins: "It's pretty cool. It really caught me off guard." He continued, "For it to happen and catch me off guard is really cool. I have a lot to be thankful for. It's been a really fun organization to be a part ot."

I'd love to see Gibby getting that 9th, but after reading that interview, I kind of feel happy to see how assertive this coaching staff actually is. Excellent insight, Seth! Thank you!

• glunn, birdwatcher, Blake and 6 others like this

#10 jz7233

jz7233

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:46 PM

Gibson was terrific but I'm glad he brought in Rogers.

Unfortunately only one Rogers in the bullpen. I really don't think Rogers needed for this game.

#11 wallyrichards

wallyrichards

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:46 PM

Great job by Gibby, Garver and Rodgers tonight. I didn't realize Glen Perkins was Amish lol JK. Happy to see Gibson go 8 innings so we didn't have to use anyone other than Rodgers. Best guy out of thebull pen. Not sure how Hildenberger is doing down on the farm but they may want to look at bringing him backup because we have some real issues. One other thing do we need a hole weekend to honor Joe? I mean the guy made a dump truck full of money what else are they going to give him? 

#12 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:51 PM

Adrianza is almost hitting .290. Crazy.

• PseudoSABR, DocBauer, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 3 others like this

#13 wallyrichards

wallyrichards

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

Adrianza is almost hitting .290. Crazy.

He's underrated, doesn't complain and I'm glad we got him.  

• Seth Stohs, LA VIkes Fan, DocBauer and 5 others like this

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,127 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

One other thing do we need a hole weekend to honor Joe? I mean the guy made a dump truck full of money what else are they going to give him? 

So because an athlete made a lot of money, the Twins shouldn't spend a "hole weekend" honoring him? He's the first catcher to win 3 batting titles. Oh yeah, he's also got an MVP Award and is chasing the Hall of Fame. Arguably a top 5 athlete in the state's history. The Twins would be crazy not to honor Mauer in this fashion. Sure, while many of us have moved on, there are tons of Twins fans who will never have enough Joe M. from Cretin-Derham Hall. This season is brimming with feel-good stories, why not keep the good times rolling?

Gibby was great tonight. Let's get 'em tomorrow.

• Blake, Jerr, Puckett34 and 14 others like this

#15 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the recap.Any chance we can bring back the section that has the times, dates and possile matchups for the next three games.  I know. I'm lazy.  Nice win tonight. I personally think the distress over the pen is over the top especially with Rogers back.  You want to see a bad bullpen go look at the 1987 Twins stats. Best ERA on that bullpen was 3.94. By far the best. We have 5 guys with at least 15 appearances that beat that and most by a big margin. Of course it would be nice to add a dependable arm or two but we had some solid bullpens last decade and they all went through worse stretches than this. All relievers and all bullpens give up runs and give up leads. Seriously. Go look it up.

• MN_ExPat likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,422 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

One other thing do we need a hole weekend to honor Joe? I mean the guy made a dump truck full of money what else are they going to give him? 

1.) Yes, but

2.) Last night, they only really honored Mauer (and his wife Maddie) for their work in the community. 

• Blake, Mr. Brooks, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

#17 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

Great job by Gibby, Garver and Rodgers tonight. I didn't realize Glen Perkins was Amish lol JK. Happy to see Gibson go 8 innings so we didn't have to use anyone other than Rodgers. Best guy out of thebull pen. Not sure how Hildenberger is doing down on the farm but they may want to look at bringing him backup because we have some real issues. One other thing do we need a hole weekend to honor Joe? I mean the guy made a dump truck full of money what else are they going to give him? 

Respect.

• Blake, PDX Twin and MN_ExPat like this

#18 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 6,097 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:14 AM

I find it interesting that Gibson was pulled even though he was never really in trouble last night.

Great way to go, though. 8 innings by Gibson then Rodgers to finish the game.

Maybe this game is the "El Gasolina" moment for this team, where the bullpen was frayed then Berenguer came in for a spot start and threw 8 innings?

#19 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

Early in the season Gibson struggled some, understandably as he was re-gainng strength and getting his arm in full shape, and only lasting 4-5 IP. But in those starts, you could STILL see the Gibson we expected. I don't have numbers in front of me, but the last month or so he has looked and performed as expected. (Yes, a clunker or 2, but everyone has those including Berrios). This is the 2nd or 3rd time we've seen Gibby just be dominant for a game.

Even when he was "struggling" I mentioned on more than one occasion he would be fine and he and Berrios were still our top two rotation arms. (Which is also why I've argued repeatedly for an extension as well). Now, I never suspected Odorizzi would morph/develop in to an ACE. And make no mistake, at this moment in time, Odorizzi IS an ACE even if he isn't a consistent 7IP starter.

I have understood calls to acquire another SP "better than" Berrios or Gibson. To be fair, it's not as if there is a market place somewhere stocked with such an item. Those two guys are pretty darn good! And with Odorizzi throwing the way he is, I'd say our front 3 stack up with just about anyone in baseball.
  • JLease, terrydactyls1947 and MN_ExPat like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,773 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

Despite general board consternation over Gibson, probably because of his E.coli induced rough start, Kyle has quietly put up a better 2019 than 2018.

His K% is up 3.1%.

His BB% is down a whopping 4.1%.

His FIP is down 0.28.

• Carole Keller, Jerr, DocBauer and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, mitch garver, joe mauer