Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 10, SEA 5: Another Double-Digit Scoring Effort, Another Bullpen Scare

michael pineda nelson cruz ehire adrianza max kepler fernando romero
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,150 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:25 PM

How did Romero's numbers as a reliever in AAA look?

Knowing none of the inner player-development calculations in the decision, and only looking at how his year has gone, is it possible that moving Romero to the bullpen didn't really...work? That he pitches better when he prepares as a starter?

Not good, but do remember that AAA is undergoing an unprecedented surge of offense. Here's his basic line:

5.47 ERA in 24.2 IP, 1.257 WHIP, 8.4 H/9, 2.2 HR/9, 2.9 BB/9, 9.5 K/9

The home runs were getting him in AAA, and he threw surprisingly few walks. It seems command wasn't as big of a problem for him down there than I thought it was.

I'm not sure if putting him back in the rotation fixes him... it's hard to say. He wasn't getting strikeouts in the major or minor rotation last year.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#22 Dman

Dman

• 1,671 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:21 PM

It was refreshing to see another teams bulllpen implode.Seattle used three guys in the 6th and none of them were very successful.Their relievers really had trouble finding the strike zone.  

We still have our own issues though.We don't really seem to have a shut down reliever at all.Maybe Rogers but he struggles at times as well.At any rate it was nice to see us put a bunch of runs on the board.

#23 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

That is a zen koan.

Thanks, I could feel myself approaching enlightenment, but then Rocco sent Magill back out for the 9th inning and I lost it.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher and blindeke like this

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,635 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:38 PM

I have been frustrated with Romero in the pen since the beginning.It still feels like Sano in RF.When someone is doing well in one situation, why change?As the summer progresses can we continue with a pen like this?

• DocBauer, Vanimal46 and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

#25 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:40 PM

Hahahahaha. I’d love to see this. How many HR in a row would be hit I think they’d break the MLB record

This scenario could never happen, the health insurance cost for the pitchers would be too astronomical. 

#26 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 393 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

I think there is going to be a sellers market for relievers....We would be best served to strike early if possible because we will likely only have to over pay even more as there are fewer left.....and make no mistake about it, we will have to "overpay".... but now is the time!

• Kelly Vance, DocBauer and BattleYourTailOff like this

#27 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 642 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:53 PM

Yesterday was Thursday, June 13 and it was the 67th game of the year.The Twins are now 41%of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 29th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 319 home runs this season. 

• USAFChief, glunn and birdwatcher like this

#28 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:56 PM

It was refreshing to see another teams bulllpen implode.Seattle used three guys in the 6th and none of them were very successful.Their relievers really had trouble finding the strike zone.  

We still have our own issues though.We don't really seem to have a shut down reliever at all.Maybe Rogers but he struggles at times as well.At any rate it was nice to see us put a bunch of runs on the board.

Seattle is on a pace to destroy the Twins 30-some pitchers of a few years ago. Last I heard they'd already used something like 22 different arms. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#29 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:59 PM

The only other optionable relievers were Harper (not happening) and Duffey (has earned a chance to stay). Eades probably wasn't available today so they sent him down, and they can get him back within 10 days or stash Parker or someone else on the IL and get him back. With the shape the pen is in, Eades will be back for better or for worse.

I get it but...he couldn't even get an out in a blowout. They'd have been better off just keeping Eades on the roster and waiting it out (in retrospect). 

• Nine of twelve and jz7233 like this

#30 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,668 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:04 PM

Romero looked like he forgot how to pitch, and was trying to fake it. Somebody buy this kid a change-up!

A change of any sort would be amazing!

But I'm not sure if that is the problem. At least, not the problem of they truly feel his future is indeed in the pen. Don't get me wrong it would only make him that much more devastating, potentially.

Right now, he just looks lost to me. I got to watch hi, today during lunch break, and frankly, it made me bewildered and sad. His pure stuff is so damn good but he looked unsure and scared and was definitely pressing.

From a distance, not knowing much of anything, it feels like he doesn't trust himself, or his stuff. It feels like he really wants to do well, but is afraid to just let it fly and let his natural power and movement play. I wonder if he is trying too hard to be too fine and dominating. I wonder if he is overthrowing.

I'm really wondering if he shouldn't go right back to Rochester, have a big heart to heart with anyone and everyone, and just continue to learn his role as a reliever and just stay at Rochester for most or all the season until his mechanics and mental aptitude just settle in.
  • Dman, MN_ExPat and Aerodeliria like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#31 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,668 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:37 PM

Stay Hot, Ehire Adrianza Remember when Adrianza was hitting below the Mendoza line and all of Twins territory couldn’t wait for him to be shown the door? Well, since May 13 he’s hitting .439/.510/.634. I really like this and feel everyone glossed over it. On a 25 man roster not everyone is created the same. If they were, we'd be arguing why Adrianza isn't starting daily over Polanco. Even on the best and deepest of teams, there are role players. In his role, Adrianza was pretty good the last two years. I still remember the surprise most of us had that we got a steal. He had a nice ST this year, then got off to a slow start, and a lot of people wanted to just dump him for whoever on the roster. And while regression s certain, this is a really nice ballplayer to have on your roster. Just wanted a little shout out to him.
  • pbrezeasap, Riverbrian, DiscGolfer and 8 others like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#32 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:39 PM

I am happy to eat a crow burger on Adrianza. He's been proving me wrong consistently.

Nevertheless, speaking of regression, let's see if he can keep his BA over .270 for the rest of the season. If that happens, then I will be truly impressed.

#33 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:48 PM

He pitched today.

Tom had a nice write-up on Reed. Let's bring him up here.

#34 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• 1,182 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:00 AM

Pineda pitched a good game today, nice to see him continuing to improve as the season progresses.

• birdwatcher and Nine of twelve like this

#35 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,514 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:30 AM

Stay Hot, Ehire Adrianza Remember when Adrianza was hitting below the Mendoza line and all of Twins territory couldn’t wait for him to be shown the door? Well, since May 13 he’s hitting .439/.510/.634. I really like this and feel everyone glossed over it. On a 25 man roster not everyone is created the same. If they were, we'd be arguing why Adrianza isn't starting daily over Polanco. Even on the best and deepest of teams, there are role players. In his role, Adrianza was pretty good the last two years. I still remember the surprise most of us had that we got a steal. He had a nice ST this year, then got off to a slow start, and a lot of people wanted to just dump him for whoever on the roster. And while regression s certain, this is a really nice ballplayer to have on your roster. Just wanted a little shout out to him.

When Adrianza beat Houston and Verlander with a home run I thought it was just a blind squirrel occurrence. Now between him and Marwin we can give any non-catcher a day off and not lose a thing offensively.

• Riverbrian, DocBauer, DannySD and 1 other like this

#36 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 372 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

With a 45-22 record and a double digit game lead in the Central, the Twins have the luxury of being able to play just over .500 ball for the entire remaining 95 games and still finish with a 93-69 record. I would like to think that the plan is to wait for key trading deadlines before making any moves and still being able to have starters pitch 5 or 6 innings max. Only injuries and /or a total offensive collapse can keep the Twins from winning the Central and they can play with house money until the right moves are available. The bull pen actually has been a key factor in multiple wins this year and giving up a few runs with a 10-1 lead is no big deal.

• denarded and MMMordabito like this

#37 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:58 AM

I think there is going to be a sellers market for relievers....We would be best served to strike early if possible because we will likely only have to over pay even more as there are fewer left.....and make no mistake about it, we will have to "overpay".... but now is the time!

I would disagree with this assessment. Currently, all but 10 teams are within 5 games of the second wild card spot. Most of those teams still think they are contending. So right now most teams are going to take a wait and see approach to trading to see what happens the next month and as the market developes more players will become available.

Because of the huge separation at the top this year most fringe teams will find themselves either chasing a long shot bid at the second wild card or selling and the smart teams will become sellers. I could even see a scenario in the AL this year where all 5 playoff spots are pretty much decided by trade deadline. That would leave 2/3 of the American league as sellers. 

Patience will pay off in the end. The Twins have an excellent farm system and the prospects to make deals happen. Falvey and Levine have shown themselves to be aggressive traders at the deadline in the past and I believe this year will be no different. They can make a good deal without emptying the farm system. I don't want them to overpay and there are certain prospects they should hang on to especially elite pitchers. Looking at this organization now, this year shouldn't be a one year run at a world series, this year should be the first year of a multi-year run at several world series titles. Let's do this!

• birdwatcher, MN_ExPat, Jacks02 and 1 other like this

#38 pbrezeasap

pbrezeasap

• 111 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

I remember during Adrianza's slow start he was looking completely lost at the plate and then he struck out against Chris Davis in a blowout win versus the Orioles. At that point I thought he was toast and would be DFA'd as soon as another bullpen arm was needed, and I would have been fine with it. Glad that didn't happen and hope he keeps this success up for the whole season and beyond.

#39 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,351 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

I'm really wondering if he shouldn't go right back to Rochester, have a big heart to heart with anyone and everyone, and just continue to learn his role as a reliever and just stay at Rochester for most or all the season until his mechanics and mental aptitude just settle in.

But Rochester wasn't working for him either. If he needs confidence, maybe a short vacation in Pensacola or even Ft. Myers would be useful. Let him have 5-10 appearances down there and see if he can get the ball in the strike zone, keep it in the park, and start to find a groove. If so, then bring him back to Rochester and see if he can keep it going. Then, maybe, back to the Twins.

Remember, this guy was at the top of our prospect charts a couple of years ago. He's not a Rochester-shuttle/AAAA-filler player. If we are going to realize benefit from this asset, we really need to groom him for the long term.

• jorgenswest, birdwatcher and DocBauer like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#40 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,483 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

The bull pen actually has been a key factor in multiple wins this year and giving up a few runs with a 10-1 lead is no big deal.

When you have 6 outs left, lead by 9 runs, and end up having to warm up your best guy (Rogers was up in the pen in the 9th)...who is trying to heal an injury....that's not good. And this type of finish to blow-outs has happened multiple times. I agree it's not likely to matter in the regular season. But help in the minors seems non existent...and the trade deadline isn't really that far away. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, nelson cruz, ehire adrianza, max kepler, fernando romero