Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Bullpen

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,818 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

The Twins bullpen has now given up 25 runs in 10 June games. ERA for the season near 5, and it's worse than that if you take out Rogers.

They went 6-4 on the road trip, but the cracks were visible and widening, and have been since April. This isn't news, even if the damage was minimized for a time through fortune, good to great starting pitching, and historically outrageous offense.

There is no help in the minors. 30 year old rookies and failed minor leaguers getting a chance make for nice stories, but don't end up helping the team win important games.

They passed on help this winter, and passed on potenial help in Kimbrel.

I don't know what they should do. I'm not sure they can or will pay enough in prospects to seriously improve the pen. I know it won't be cheap, and several of the best trade pieces are hurt.

Any ideas?

• Blake, jokin, notoriousgod71 and 5 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:14 PM

The ironic thing is that their offense is over-achieving by so much, that they don’t have to do a thing.

#3 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:22 PM

Lol when they start dropping a bunch of games to medicore teams you will think differently.
  • Battle ur tail off likes this

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

Absolutely need to improve their bullpen. They will have to trade prospects I would imagine and perhaps assume some money on the contracts they would acquire.
  • Danchat, tarheeltwinsfan and Battle ur tail off like this

#5 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:06 PM

Another pathetic showing from the bullpen. At this point trade any of our top prospects for elite arms. It's getting absolutely ridiculous. 

#6 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:19 PM

Talk is of picking up one veteran reliever. How about three? I'm about done with Trevor May, and tho Duffey's stuff looks promising, it needs to get a lot better before August. Morin seems average at best. Parker's stuff looks good, but it gets hit too much. Rookie Ryan Eades may be the third best reliever on the staff, behind Rogers and Harper. Not exactly a reassuring prospect. 

Granted, Seattle's got a very good hitting team, but they're not as good as the real contenders like Houston, Boston, etc. And those teams have MUCH better pitching. Apparently there are no rising star relievers in Rochester. How about Pensacola? I see straws...I must grasp them!

• jokin, Dman, ChrisKnutson and 2 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#7 lecroy24fan

lecroy24fan

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:38 PM

Jake Reed is the only one left in Rochester they haven't tried up here. He has a good ERA in a hitter friendly league. He should get a look.

• jimbo92107, Kelly Vance, Danchat and 4 others like this

#8 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:25 PM

Parker needs a stint on the DL. Something is very wrong. 

• wavedog, Dman, jud6312 and 3 others like this

#9 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 908 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:06 AM

Trades will get done to address the bullpen situation.The question isn't if but when.It's highly unlikely to see anything done in the immediate future and there isn't any pressing need to get something done right now.The division lead isn't going anywhere.I'd like to see a deal get done around the time of the all star break.I'm sure Twins scouts are out looking at all trade targets everyday 

• Carole Keller, blindeke and MMMordabito like this

#10 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:06 AM

Something is wrong with Parker.

I'm sure the league will quickly catch up to Eades.

Wish Moya and Vasquez had something. See that Philadelphia signed the free agent John Curtiss.

I'm sure the management will troll the Indy Leagues for some hunger projects.

I want to see Trevor May become the new closer, but he failed pitching back-to-back today.

Littell is in relief, his road to the majors.

Still worry about the rotation, too. Happily Pineda and Gibson need to stay hungry for contracts next year, somewhere else, I'm sure. I question if it is wise to invest in Odorizzi bigtime for the future, but he will get some kind of payday in 2020.

What's up with Gonsalves? Will anyone be able to jump from AA to the Twins?

• Jack likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#11 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:12 AM

This is such a marvelous lineup that easily compares with 87 and 91.

This Bullpen as it stands now, put's a ceiling on what can be accomplished.

• jimbo92107, woolywoolhouse, Battle ur tail off and 3 others like this

#12 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:28 AM

May can't be the closer until he stops walking so many people. 

• Jack likes this

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:35 AM

The only "plan" presented thus far is to bring up either an

untried or

unproven or

underwhelming

"new" arm for a "tryout."

Not much of a plan.

In the process, the Twins are frittering away winnable games, even with this record-setting offense, in May and June- which will come back to bite them come playoff time- as they seem rather complacent about ceding potential home field advantage.

I've said it many times before, bring up the very best SPs in AA and AAA, and see if they can throw consistent, clean, one-inning stints 3-4 times/week, including a back-to-back on occasion.

And get on the horn to the Giants/Marlins/Nats/Royals, etc. about beating the other playoff-bound teams to the punch and locking down at least 1-2 credible RP arms before the ASG.

Edited by jokin, 13 June 2019 - 12:41 AM.

• birdwatcher, jimbo92107, Sconnie and 3 others like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#14 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:55 AM

Used to be that rookie starting pitchers typically would spend time in the bullpen before getting a chance to start. Now it seems that relief prospects in the minors get first dibs on being a reliever in the bigs. Time to call bull on that notion. The Twins have at least a few starters in the minors that look like better pitchers than any of their minor league relievers. The front office should seriously consider using guys like Stewart, Smeltzer and Thorpe as relievers on the 2019 squad. All hands on deck for this season. 

Want a few more amps on some heaters? There are a couple guys in AA, including Graterol. I'd even be okay with bringing in a guy from high A ball, like Jordan Balazovic. The team needs pitchers that can get guys out, regardless how the organization wants to pigeonhole their roles. This season could be really special if the bullpen does not remain its one glaring weakness. 

• jokin likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#15 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:14 AM

This is such a marvelous lineup that easily compares with 87 and 91.

This Bullpen as it stands now, put's a ceiling on what can be accomplished.

This lineup is miles above the lineups put out there in 87 and 91

• SwainZag, twinssporto and MMMordabito like this

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,722 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:23 AM

To be fair, last night's loss is on the defense more than the pen in my opinion. It's like Seattle secretly stuck their own guys in the field for us last night. The D makes a couple plays and this game looks a lot similar to previous games... 

But... to Cheif's point, they need to do something. They have one fireman, and he's day to day. They need two more, whether that be by acquiring a starter and moving Perez (who I think could be lights out in an RP role) or Pineda to the pen or picking up at least two more relievers.

If I were Falvine, I'd be making calls now. They can afford to delay a bit and let losing teams eat the injury risk as Cleveland hasn't caught up on them, but they'd be pretty crazy to delay too long as one good hot streak in Cleveland could close that gap pretty quick based on how they are playing right now. 

• glunn and SwainZag like this

#17 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:47 AM

Jake Reed is the only one left in Rochester they haven't tried up here. He has a good ERA in a hitter friendly league. He should get a look.

Other than a two week stretch at the beginning of May in which he gave up 9 of the 16 runs he’s allowed all year, he’s been pretty good. He has an extreme righty lefty split though. That might be what is keeping him in AAA. But I agree, the Twins need to find out what he can do at the MLB level. They should have attempted to do so last year instead of wasting innings on Matt Belisle. He has nothing to prove or improve upon in AAA. He is who he is at this point. He’s either good enough or he’s not. Time to find out IMO.
  • lecroy24fan, Danchat, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#18 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:49 AM

What is that old Beatles song, HELP?Can't remember the exact words, but the song kept going thru my mind as I read this post.

#19 Carlos Figueroa

Carlos Figueroa

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:56 AM

Here is what will happen at the trade deadline. The prospect price will be too high for the premier arms. Twins will make some “savvy” moves for Perez and Parker equivalents.We can’t risk our future. Must maintain flexibility. Rinse Spin Repeat

• notoriousgod71, Battle ur tail off and HawksNest like this

#20 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:20 AM

When you have a season going like this one, you don't ride out a crappy bullpen waiting for them to get better or wait until the deadline, you go get the team help ASAP.

To show the other players and fans you believe in this team and will do what it takes to win.

Because there is no guarantee everything is going to fall into place again, ask the Nats when they sat Strasburg in the playoffs because they thought they would be back.

The Front Office should already have a couple of guys they think would help, you call those teams and make an offer they can't refuse and get help. (I am not saying Royce, Alex, Brusdar, Trevor or Wander)

I am saying you call San Fran and say we want Smith and we are offering Rooker/Gordon, Thorpe and Alcala, or something they can't say no to.

• iowadutchman likes this