Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Baseball and the Slow Death of Chewing Tobacco

byron buxton miguel sano dave st. peter tony gwynn
  • Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#81 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

Sure. And "Big League Chew" existed because baseball players were known to use chewing tobacco. It was invented solely so children could pretend to be baseball players.

Actually is was developed by players who didn’t want to chew tobacco but wanted to chew something. It’s similar to how candy cigarettes used to be available to kids. I gotta believe that affects more kids than what grown ballplayers are doing.

#82 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:24 PM

Well, what about mine? It's a two-way street. You asked for preference. I gave you my preference.

I just think it’s disingenuos to prefer sitting next to a guy who’s acting so obnoxiously he gets removed from a game, rather than someone spitting in to a cup.

#83 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,665 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:53 PM

I just think it’s disingenuos to prefer sitting next to a guy who’s acting so obnoxiously he gets removed from a game, rather than someone spitting in to a cup.

Personally, I’d rather sit next to neither individuals. But you asked a question, I gave you an answer. And I gave you an answer based on personal experience having sat next to two such individuals at games. Sorry you don’t like one person’s opinion on a disgusting habit, but if you don’t want to hear the answer, don’t ask the question.
  • Thrylos, Twins33 and Nine of twelve like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#84 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,133 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:28 PM

Disingenuous?

Sorry.People spitting in cups (and floors) and sticking their fingers in their mouths to pull tobacco remnants triggers my gag response more than drunk clowns.

Your mileage might vary, but, telling you, some of us find that pretty disgusting...

• SQUIRREL likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#85 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,665 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

Personally, I’d rather sit next to neither individuals. But you asked a question, I gave you an answer. And I gave you an answer based on personal experience having sat next to two such individuals at games. Sorry you don’t like one person’s opinion on a disgusting habit, but if you don’t want to hear the answer, don’t ask the question.

And worse would be if said individuals were actually one and the same. That would actually be a ‘hell ho’ situation and I’d be looking for an empty seat somewhere else to sit. Along with a complaint to guest services, even if they can’t really do anything about it.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#86 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:46 AM

It’s not that I didn’t want to hear your answer, I just think you’re full of baloney. No hard feelings, were all twins fans here.

#87 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,665 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

It’s not that I didn’t want to hear your answer, I just think you’re full of baloney. No hard feelings, were all twins fans here.

There's no baloney anywhere here. Again, you don't like my answer because it doesn't meet up with yours. Now, stop it. 

• Twins33 and Nine of twelve like this

#88 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:51 AM

Disingenuous?

Sorry.People spitting in cups (and floors) and sticking their fingers in their mouths to pull tobacco remnants triggers my gag response more than drunk clowns.

Your mileage might vary, but, telling you, some of us find that pretty disgusting...

I personally wouldn’t do it at a game if I were sitting next to someone for that very reason. But I’m not going to get someone removed or make a complaint if somebody was doing something that had no affect on my health or well being.

#89 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:52 AM

There's no baloney anywhere here. Again, you don't like my answer because it doesn't meet up with yours. Now, stop it.

You stop it ;)

#90 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,665 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

You stop it ;)

You are about to be slapped. Now go in the corner and spit. ;)

#91 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

You are about to be slapped. Now go in the corner and spit. ;)

I’m about to go golfing, I think tobacco is frowned upon there too. We’re persecuted I tell ya!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, miguel sano, dave st. peter, tony gwynn