Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Baseball and the Slow Death of Chewing Tobacco

byron buxton miguel sano dave st. peter tony gwynn
  • Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,878 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:08 PM

I think the very nature of baseball lends itself to such a habit. Same reason seeds and bubblegum are popular with players.

Not really with you on the argument not carrying weight. It’s selective enforcement and incredibly hypocritical, especially when alcohol is not only allowed but the league gladly profits from it. How about showing locker room celebrations where dudes are dousing each other in booze? What does that do for the young kids watching? I mean, banning tobacco in entire stadiums is laughable. “Miller park”, “Busch stadium” lol how about “Copenhagen ballpark”? Have you ever looked at the salt content of sunflower seeds? I would want my employees on a low sodium diet if I’m going to be responsible for their health care!

I'm a beer drinker, and I don't think your argument against alcohol advertising is out of line at all. I might not be in favor of it, but there's plenty of merit there.

But it doesn't take away from the fact that these guys are perpetuating a habit that no one wants their kids picking up.

#22 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

I'm a beer drinker, and I don't think your argument against alcohol advertising is out of line at all. I might not be in favor of it, but there's plenty of merit there.

But it doesn't take away from the fact that these guys are perpetuating a habit the no one wants their kids picking up.

Believe me, I love my beer drinking as well (I have all the bad habits) so I’m not put off by any of the advertising. I just have a problem with the selectivity of it all. Sure, baseball and tobacco will always be linked and no that’s not a great thing for the kids to see. But I can parent my kids about substance abuse, I don’t need buxton to toss out his wad of dip to make my job any easier.
  • KirbyDome89 likes this

#23 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

Are you going to act like alcohol is not far and away a bigger threat to the health, safety and well being of not only the user but possibly those around them than some skoal? Is that going to be your argument? But alas $$$$$$$ talks

Don't stop there -- cars are dangerous too! Your concern about alcohol is just selective, feel good policing if you're not also banning cars.

#24 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Don't stop there -- cars are dangerous too! Your concern about alcohol is just selective, feel good policing if you're not also banning cars.

There are plenty of laws already concerning use of cars. What point exactly where you trying to make here?

It’s always interesting to see how hard some people fight to make sure other people can’t enjoy things that have nothing to do with them.

Edited by Aggies7, 13 June 2019 - 12:23 PM.

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,829 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

I think we may be giving kids too much credit paying attention to what's inside a baseball player's mouth. Growing up I never noticed Tony Gwynn and other baseball players were using chew on the field.

If we want to deter kids from using chew play the summer carnival scene from The Sandlot on an endless loop.
  • Aggies7 likes this

#26 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

There are plenty of laws already concerning use of cars. What point exactly where you trying to make here?

There are plenty of laws already concerning use of alcohol. What point exactly where you trying to make by bringing it up repeatedly in this thread?

#27 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

There are plenty of laws already concerning use of alcohol. What point exactly where you trying to make by bringing it up repeatedly in this thread?

That it’s far more dangerous than dipping tobacco and mlb allows their employees to use it in their clubhouses and their fans to use it in their stadiums, and also profits from it. Sheesh I didn’t know this would be that difficult to comprehend.

Edited by Aggies7, 13 June 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#28 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

What does throwing a dozen Budweiser ads up per game do for perpetuating bad habits amongst fans? I can’t think of a single televised sporting event I’ve ever seen where alcohol wasn’t a prominent advertiser.

There's a big difference between (disclosed) advertising and a player's use of a product.

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,878 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:29 PM

That it’s far more dangerous than dipping tobacco and mlb allows their employees to use it in their clubhouses and their fans to use it in their stadiums, and also profits from it. Sheesh I didn’t know this would be that difficult to comprehend.

Alcohol is dangerous when used illegally.

I'm fine if tobacco can stays, as long as the nicotine is just removed. We have a long history of banning harmful ingestible chemicals, I'm not sure why this is treated differently. If nicotine were removed, tobacco would be on more square footing with alcohol, as booze is something that only a small percentage of people are addicted to while nearly everyone who uses tobacco is addicted.

#30 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

There's a big difference between (disclosed) advertising and a player's use of a product.

Um

Attached Thumbnails

• E15855CC-FA47-4823-B6B7-78345026B2B2.jpeg

#31 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:32 PM

Meh. They're adults. I think it's a disgusting habit but if they want to do it, who cares? Our culture has become such a bunch of wimps. 

They're on the job. Their employer has the right to decide what they can and can't do on the field and at the stadium.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#32 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Um

So? The thread was discussing Budweiser ads in stadiums and on TV.

Also, they aren't exactly consuming the alcohol in that photo.

#33 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Alcohol is dangerous when used illegally.

I'm fine if tobacco can stays, as long as the nicotine is just removed. We have a long history of banning harmful ingestible chemicals, I'm not sure why this is treated differently. If nicotine were removed, tobacco would be on more square footing with alcohol, as booze is something that only a small percentage of people are addicted to while nearly everyone who uses tobacco is addicted.

Like they say “impairment starts with the first drink”

Maybe a small percentage of people who drink are addicted, but something like 13% of the adult population is considering to be alcoholics. So if tobacco use is around 6%..

Edited by Aggies7, 13 June 2019 - 12:37 PM.

#34 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

I think we may be giving kids too much credit paying attention to what's inside a baseball player's mouth. Growing up I never noticed Tony Gwynn and other baseball players were using chew on the field.

I don't think it's about the kids, really -- MLB gets an immediate, direct benefit if they discourage players from using tobacco and help players quit. Indirect benefits beyond that are just gravy.

That said, those indirect benefits are also not just about fans like us seeing a player doing it on TV or at the stadium. It's about the culture. That minor leaguer who chews will go on to be the town ball teammate that chews, or the high school coach that chews. Or he'll have a kid that's more likely to play ball -- and more likely to chew, regardless of what his father says about substance abuse.

#35 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

They're on the job. Their employer has the right to decide what they can and can't do on the field and at the stadium.

Yeah, but I highly doubt you’ll find too many places that won’t let you take a smoke break but will allow you to down a 6 pack on lunch.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#36 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

So? The thread was discussing Budweiser ads in stadiums and on TV.

Also, they aren't exactly consuming the alcohol in that photo.

Oh stop don’t be ridiculous. I worked in baseball for several years at a place that had josh hancock’s Jersey hanging in the clubhouse right next to trash cans full of empty beer cans

#37 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

I didn't think it would be difficult to comprehend, when I said that a business can justify taking one step to save themselves money and improve the health of their employees without taking every possible step to do so.

Yet here we are.

#38 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, but I highly doubt you’ll find too many places that won’t let you take a smoke break but will allow you to down a 6 pack on lunch.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. 

#39 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here.

The organization that says you can’t dip in the dugout allows you to drink in the clubhouse. How is this so hard to understand.

#40 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:39 PM

I didn't think it would be difficult to comprehend, when I said that a business can justify taking one step to save themselves money and improve the health of their employees without taking every possible step to do so.

Yet here we are.

Who said they couldn’t? Did I say that? I just called them hypocrites, which you cannot possibly argue against.

Edited by Aggies7, 13 June 2019 - 12:39 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, miguel sano, dave st. peter, tony gwynn