Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread "Sam" Twins vs. Mariners 7:10pm dst 6/12/2019 ad

• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#361 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,934 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:04 PM

Not going to panic, because the Twins still have a 10.5 game lead but to watch them field their way out of winning a game is hard to take.

• d-mac likes this

#362 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,792 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:04 PM

Well, I expect a pitcher to be called up from Rochester for tomorrow's game

Maybe they should start pulling from AA.

• USAFChief, Blake and d-mac like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#363 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:05 PM

Playoff teams dont do this

Luckily, we are thousand of fielding repetitions from the playoffs. Garver, learn to catch softly and throw right. Sano, WAKE UP! 

• Blake likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#364 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,819 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, but three errors in an inning doesn't help matters.

No, certainly not.

But there isn't a whole lot you can do about errors. They pop up, sometimes at the worst possible time. And I don't worry much that the Twins will make more errors than other teams over the course of the rest of the season. So the errors are a game level thing. 

The bullpen, however, is a season long thing, that I fear WILL cost them against other teams over the course of the rest of the season. 

And I don't know if they can fix it. It would take at least 2 great relievers, plus maybe a pretty good one. Add that to Rogers, and you have the makings of something that can handle what will come.

• glunn, Blake, jimbo92107 and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#365 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:09 PM

Get the Giants on the phone for a Will Smith trade tonight

#366 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,934 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:09 PM

No, certainly not.

But there isn't a whole lot you can do about errors. They pop up, sometimes at the worst possible time. And I don't worry much that the Twins will make more errors than other teams over the course of the rest of the season. So the errors are a game level thing. 

The bullpen, however, is a season long thing, that I fear WILL cost them against other teams over the course of the rest of the season. 

And I don't know if they can fix it. It would take at least 2 great relievers, plus maybe a pretty good one. Add that to Rogers, and you have the makings of something that can handle what will come.

I could argue about the bullpen, but, only if I was insane or looking to start something for some strange reason.

Yeah, the Twins have two options: Get some relief help sooner rather than later or find a way for the starters to go deeper into games. As in 7 or 8 innings.

Of the two, finding relief help is probably the more reasonable expectation.

#367 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,934 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

Get the Giants on the phone for a Will Smith trade tonight

And Bumgarner. (I was not interested until I looked at Bumgarner's numbers and realized his numbers are a lot better than I thought.)

Edited by Blake, 12 June 2019 - 10:12 PM.

• MNT1996 likes this

#368 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,034 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:10 PM

No, certainly not.

Well said. I hope that the front office is aggressive once trades start happening.

• Blake likes this

#369 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

Speaking of fish, i bet we trade for someone underwhelming like sergio romo.
  • LaBombo and Rigby like this

#370 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:13 PM

And Bumgarner. (I was not interested until I looked at Bumgarner's numbers and realized his numbers are a lot better than I thought.

I love his surliness. Ornery southerners are my favorite pitchers.
  • Blake and LaBombo like this

#371 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,819 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

I could argue about the bullpen, but, only if I was insane or looking to start something for some strange reason.

Yeah, the Twins have two options: Get some relief help sooner rather than later or find a way for the starters to go deeper into games. As in 7 or 8 innings.

Of the two, finding relief help is probably the more reasonable expectation.

I would say they have between a zero percent and no chance at all of getting more from their starters. They're already near the top of the league in IP per start and near the bottom in IP from the bullpen. They've gotten a LOT from their starters, probably more than they can expect to get in the second half. They got 6.2 with 1 run allowed tonight. In 2019 baseball, that's a great start, a long-ish start.

And tired starters don't get outs late in games either, plus you risk running them into the ground before fall.

• Blake, Danchat and Sconnie like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#372 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

Speaking of fish, i bet we trade for someone underwhelming like sergio romo.

Knowing this FO that's probably what's going to happen. They got lucky with Cron, Cruz, and MarGo, but I still have 0 faith in them actually upgrading the team. 

#373 jz7233

jz7233

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

Parker, Magill and Duffey should be the candidates to let go.

#374 MNT1996

MNT1996

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

Parker, Magill and Duffey should be the candidates to let go.

I still have some faith in Magill and Duffey, but Parker definitely needs to get DFA'd. 

Edited by MNT1996, 12 June 2019 - 10:18 PM.

• BattleYourTailOff likes this

#375 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,934 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:18 PM

I would say they have between a zero percent and no chance at all of getting more from their starters. They're already near the top of the league in IP per start and near the bottom in IP from the bullpen. They've gotten a LOT from their starters, probably more than they can expect to get in the second half. They got 6.2 with 1 run allowed tonight. In 2019 baseball, that's a great start, a long-ish start.

And tired starters don't get outs late in games either, plus you risk running them into the ground before fall.

For what it's worth, my comment about 7 or 8 innings was supposed to be ironic.

I looked for the Ironic tag, but, didn't find one.

Maybe we could trouble Brock?

Edited by Blake, 12 June 2019 - 10:19 PM.

#376 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

self-depricated

• Members
  • 7,734 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:39 PM

"It's alright. Goonies make mistakes. Just dom't make any more!"

My hope is that is all our errors for the rest of the year.

I am glad we kept on coming each time they took a lead. Well, until the extra inning.

Sisyphus would be proud of us today...
  • Blake likes this