Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 6, SEA 5: Comeback Victory Capped By Trevor May Save

jorge polanco martin perez trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Tibs

Tibs

• 1,228 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:21 AM

I am constantly surprised by some of the comments about Twins players.Perez did not pitch well - not close.Whatever is wrong with Perez, it might be time for one of those mysterious IL vacations.May did not pass any test - 2 hits in one inning is not a good line and I do not trust him.

What I do agree with is that this was a great win and the Twins are really staying focused as a team.

Looks like May threw a scoreless inning to me.

• DocBauer, dbminn, Mr. Patient and 3 others like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#22 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,526 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:33 AM

His stat line may not say it, but I thought Perez pitched pretty well tonight. Made a mistake on the HR to Edwin, but his strikeouts were back today. Still needs work on not giving up so many walks. Both of them came back to hurt him.

Two of his three walks were to Encarnacion and close to intentional.

He got the following batter Vogelbach to strike out the first two at bats. It is the third at bat against Vogelbach that was bothersome. He stayed on the outside every pitch of that at bat. He needed to trust his stuff and come in hard inside. Eventually Vogelbach three his bat out there and flared one to left for an RBI.

I am not worried about the walks. I do wonder if he is questioning his stuff as he pitches to Encarnacion and even coming inside against Vogelbach.
  • brvama, 70charger and Don Walcott like this

#23 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,556 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:39 AM

His stat line may not say it, but I thought Perez pitched pretty well tonight. Made a mistake on the HR to Edwin, but his strikeouts were back today. Still needs work on not giving up so many walks. Both of them came back to hurt him.

A couple of those walks were unintentional, intentional walks to Encarnacion to get to Vogelbach. Perez didn't look great, but he certainly looked better than he did in his previous 2 starts.

Edit: Whoops, echo chamber in here with the post above me.

• jorgenswest, 70charger and MN_ExPat like this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,105 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:40 AM

Might be time to look at starting pitchers on the market and move Perez to the bullpen...
  • diehardtwinsfan, LA VIkes Fan and rghrbek like this

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,423 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

Who are we mad at this morning? May? Sano? Perez? Harper?

I'm trying to be more positive today so I'll focus on the big picture: the Cruz and Gonzalez signings were brilliant. Our catchers are offensive juggernauts. This team is surely playoff bound. The window to trade for pitching help will be opening up in a couple weeks. The only question is if the Twins can secure home field throughout with the best AL record! Wow!

About a year ago, I was a passenger in a friends car. We were driving through a parking lot, we were laughing and joking about something. Without warning, a car started to back out into his path. The backing car nosed out maybe a foot but must have saw us, because the car stopped and waited for him to go by.

Of course, the backing car did start to back out and this made my friend kinda apply the brakes a little and maybe slightly adjust the wheel to the left before straightening out and continuing on as normal.

When this happened... my friend went from mid-sentence in the middle of an uncompleted joke to screaming, cussing, out of his mind angry at the idiot driver who started to back out.

Twinsdaily can be that way sometimes. :)
  • birdwatcher, brvama, Dantes929 and 8 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#26 Dman

Dman

• 1,733 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:46 AM

The way Perez pitches I was shocked that with two strikes he grooved a pitch down the middle to Edwin.I guess they were hoping Edwin would be shocked as well and not swing? Perez tip toed around the zone all night why with their best power hitter up does he decide to go down the middle?Baffling at least to me.I mean if he gets the homer on a tough low outside or inside pitch so be it but to put it on platter for him seems odd especially from a pitcher reluctant to throw strikes.

At times it felt like the offense was little too aggressive but a tip of the hat to Leeke as he was willing to pump in first pitch strikes and keep attacking.I was impressed at how he held the Twins offense down fro the most part.

Sano still looks pretty ugly at the plate.I know his OPS is still very good but if he can clean up some things he can be much better.

I know you shouldn't mess with a good thing but it feels like Buxton is ready for the top of the order especially since Kepler hasn't been outstanding in that role so far this year.Also their OBP and OPS are not that different this year.

Hate to see a called third strike on such a borderline pitch but it felt like we took a lot of bad calls in that game as well.I still think robo umps would be better.

Edited by Dman, 12 June 2019 - 06:49 AM.

#27 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:47 AM

Happiness is having Garver and Cron on the bench last night and not seeing where I'd need to have them pinch hit.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan and 7 others like this

#28 BattleYourTailOff

BattleYourTailOff

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Banned
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:03 AM

Can you imagine being a Twins' player, waking up this morning, seeing you are 23 games above .500, 10 games up in the division, destroying HR records left and right and then realizing that Tommy Milone is pitching for the Mariners tonight?

That's gotta give an extra hop to your step.

I’m going to the game tonight. Hopefully get a chance for a few HR balls. I know Cruz hits him well anyway.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#29 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 658 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:13 AM

Yesterday was Tuesday, June 11 and it was the 65th game of the year.The Twins are now 40%of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 33rd on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 317 home runs this season..

• Riverbrian likes this

#30 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:26 AM

The start from Perez wasn't great, but there is definitely hope there. He needs to attack the strike zone early in the count and pitch from ahead instead of constantly starting at bats with ball 1 and ball 2. That's fixable, I think.

May was OK. He got a gift strike out, but then two weak pop outs from good hitters. I seem to remember him having a good change up when he was a starter. He doesn't seem to use it much anymore. I think it would be an effective pitch for him as hitters have to gear up for his juiced up fastball.

Winning games 12-2 is fun, but I actually think the one run games are better for the team as it helps prepare them for the type of games they will face in the playoffs.

• birdwatcher, pbrezeasap, brvama and 4 others like this

#31 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 639 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

Can you imagine being a Twins' player, waking up this morning, seeing you are 23 games above .500, 10 games up in the division, destroying HR records left and right and then realizing that Tommy Milone is pitching for the Mariners tonight?

That's gotta give an extra hop to your step.

Is it okay to hope for our third 8-homer game of the season? Or is that asking too much?

• pbrezeasap, Riverbrian, 70charger and 2 others like this

#32 BattleYourTailOff

BattleYourTailOff

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Banned
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

May was OK. He got a gift strike out, but then two weak pop outs from good hitters. I seem to remember him having a good change up when he was a starter. He doesn't seem to use it much anymore. I think it would be an effective pitch for him as hitters have to gear up for his juiced up fastball.

it’s a good thing he’s high velocity cuz he misses his location really badly on a lot of pitches. That popout by Seager to end the game was supposed to be outside & he put it middle-in happy zone.

Edited by BattleYourTailOff, 12 June 2019 - 07:54 AM.

#33 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,320 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:07 AM

Happiness is having Garver and Cron on the bench last night and not seeing where I'd need to have them pinch hit.

Yes, this is a remarkable thing! A dozen position players with a 1 WAR or better (a LOT better in most cases). 

It seems to be this team's year. Sit two guys down and watch their replacements be run producers.

• diehardtwinsfan, Riverbrian and wabene like this

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,447 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

it’s a good thing he’s high velocity cuz he misses his location really badly on a lot of pitches. That popout by Seager to end the game was supposed to be outside & he put it middle-in happy zone.

both Vogelbach and Seager got great swings off May.
  • BattleYourTailOff likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#35 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,690 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

The Twins have't blown many saves because they haven't had very many save opportunities due to the large leads that they've built.  

I considered that but have two counterpoints.If the pen was as bad as folks here believe then the runs given up by the relievers would offset the large leads creating more save opportunities but instead as you have pointed out there are fewer save opportunities.Further, the Twins are also number three in save percentage which is a mostly independent stat from opportunities.None of those teams listed above crack the top 10. I really just want to point out that it is very rare for a fan base to be happy with their bullpen.I remember when Jesse Crain went 23 appearances without giving up a run and it seemed like no one noticed. He then gave up a home runand fans immediately went back to calling him Crain wreck. 

• birdwatcher, Riverbrian, 70charger and 5 others like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#36 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

Is it okay to hope for our third 8-homer game of the season? Or is that asking too much?

It has been a few weeks so we are due

• Riverbrian, 70charger and wabene like this

#37 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,447 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:12 AM

I did...there was acknowledgment that the bases should have been loaded with nobody out...but not the usual outrage that we get when the call goes the other way. I’m firmly in the ‘let the umpires call the pitches, it’s not a big problem’ camp. But that was one of the worse calls on an extremely high leverage pitch that we’ll see all year.

I'm firmly with you on hating the idea of a machine calling balls and strikes.

Terrible idea that remove some of the beauty of the game, while probably not improving the strike zone at all.
  • birdwatcher, pbrezeasap, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#38 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 659 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:13 AM

I thought this umpire was really inconsistent on calling low pitches around the corners. It probably evened out over the course of the game (Seattle appeared to benefit early, Twins benefited late) but it makes for a frustrating game and it's hard on the pitchers and catchers.

Polanco was terrific again. 2 leg doubles? Does he have a bet on with Buxton or something?

I'm glad May got the 9th, regardless of Rogers status. He needs to throw late innings and the teams needs to know if he's a guy who can close out a game. A bit wobbly last night, but the stuff is there.

I feel less concern over this team facing a 2-3 run deficit than any Twins team in a very long time. Very hard to keep this offense down all game.

• Dman, MN_ExPat and wabene like this

#39 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,242 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

Two of his three walks were to Encarnacion and close to intentional.

He got the following batter Vogelbach to strike out the first two at bats. It is the third at bat against Vogelbach that was bothersome. He stayed on the outside every pitch of that at bat. He needed to trust his stuff and come in hard inside. Eventually Vogelbach three his bat out there and flared one to left for an RBI.

I am not worried about the walks. I do wonder if he is questioning his stuff as he pitches to Encarnacion and even coming inside against Vogelbach.

I think this is exactly right. In the first AB, it was clear Perez didn't want to pitch to EE. In the second AB, it was clear Perez should not be pitching to EE. In the third AB, they shouldn't have forced Perez to pitch to EE. Rather, they should have saved his pitches for Vogelbach, who didn't look like he could hit Perez, until he reached out and blooped one.

The way he looks right now, I'm not sure why we'd ever pitch to EE for the rest of this series. Doesn't look like anyone else on that team is going to hurt us. Can't believe the Indians traded him. And I'm worried that he's auditioning for the Astros right now.

• USAFChief, AlwaysinModeration, Dman and 1 other like this

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,175 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

The Twins have't blown many saves because they haven't had very many save opportunities due to the large leads that they've built.

True. But also the pen has been better than expected.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, martin perez, trevor may