Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Why Miguel Sano's Strikeouts Are Not a Problem

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

This is what gets me

I don't remember if it was here I read it or elsewhere but someone said they don't trust him in high leverage situations and I completely agree. Even more so after seeing the stats. When he's up in an important situation I always am waiting for which kind of K it will be (looking, swinging and my favorite the check swing K). I never think he's going to homer or do anything good.

Oh, this definitely passes the "eye test" as well. Stats are a good way to just quantify this.

#102 MVP Nick Punto

MVP Nick Punto

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 640 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

To shill my post from the game thread:

Also, following the game while driving last night (while I was parked, kids. don't phone and drive), I almost had a heart attack when Sano stepped to the plate in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs and a man on 3rd, right? Was there ANYBODY we had available to pinch there? I don't care if they'd never played 3rd before; it's suicide to put Sano in with 2 outs when you need a hit, especially late (lol) in a tie game. Nobody on or less than 2 outs, okay, but NOT WITH RISP & 2 OUTS!!!!!!!!

#103 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,892 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

Twins continue to be in a position where they can be patient with Sano. By patient, I mean play him, continue to work with him, and see how/if he improves. It's hard after a performance that ugly. But, he's had seasons where he's been great in leverage situations as well. 

#104 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,211 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

I am convinced the Sox walked Kepler unintentionally, intentionally one time, and should have done it twice to get to Sano. Obviously the last Kepler AB that was not an option. While the upside for Sano v La Tortugas is considerable, no one will convince me that Twins at the current time are not a better team with The Turtle at third base and Sano in either the Twins dugout, or Rochesters. Last night should have put a fork in the theory that strike outs are simply just another out!

Edited by Platoon, 19 June 2019 - 12:25 PM.

• Dman likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#105 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:24 PM

I totally agree with that assessment.I just wanted to him hit the ball.Didn't even care if was an out just show me you can hit the darn ball.He could not do it.That is one of the poorer batting performances I have ever seen. Probably a good time to sit him.

I don't know what it is but he does seem to get his fair share of tough calls each at bat.I thought he was maybe getting better a few weeks back as he was taking more pitches and having longer at bats.Recently though it feels like he is back to swinging at everything which is fine if he could actually hit the ball. 

Part of working the count is getting a good pitch to hit.Use a little reverse psychology on the pitcher and don't swing at anything one or two at bats and then just when they think you won't swing start swinging. I don't know but doing something different has to be better than getting the same result every time.

Well to give him some credit, he did pop out to "short" third base.

#106 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:26 PM

When he struggled in the past his timing was all off, he either looked like he was ahead or behind on his swings. This is how he has looked this week.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#107 Dman

Dman

• 1,932 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

Well to give him some credit, he did pop out to "short" third base.

My bad I missed that.:)

• Tomj14 likes this

#108 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,165 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:29 PM

To shill my post from the game thread:

Also, following the game while driving last night (while I was parked, kids. don't phone and drive), I almost had a heart attack when Sano stepped to the plate in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs and a man on 3rd, right? Was there ANYBODY we had available to pinch there? I don't care if they'd never played 3rd before; it's suicide to put Sano in with 2 outs when you need a hit, especially late (lol) in a tie game. Nobody on or less than 2 outs, okay, but NOT WITH RISP & 2 OUTS!!!!!!!!

Was watching that at bat with my son, and I said to him, first pitch curve low and outside, then 2 high fast balls and he will K. I was wrong, it took three high fastballs, one that was even too high for him to swing at.

I like Sano, but he seems to fallen into the same trap as Buxton when he goes bad, also in a 0 - 2 or 1 - 2 count.

Edited by Tomj14, 19 June 2019 - 12:30 PM.

• Dman likes this

#109 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 535 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

When he struggled in the past his timing was all off, he either looked like he was ahead or behind on his swings. This is how he has looked this week.

I think he's been fed so many sliders that a belt high fastball surprises him and he can't catch up with it.

• Platoon likes this