Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 10 Relievers Minnesota Could Target

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 BattleYourTailOff

BattleYourTailOff

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:33 PM

Why are people so turned off by Stroman? He’s young with a track record of above average to excellent performance—exactly the kind of player the Twins should be targeting for their rotation. I’m genuinely curious why some people don’t want him.

Because it’s Twins type move. I think people want a proven Ace like Mad Bum or Scherzer, both have better WHIP & K rate. Mad Bum is only a year older than Stroman. They are the sexy move that the Twins never make. It’s like hoping to win the Powerball in this sports town with this franchise but we can still hope.
  • SF Twins Fan and Carlos Figueroa like this

#102 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:45 PM

Because it’s Twins type move. I think people want a proven Ace like Mad Bum or Scherzer, both have better WHIP & K rate. Mad Bum is only a year older than Stroman. They are the sexy move that the Twins never make. It’s like hoping to win the Powerball in this sports town with this franchise but we can still hope.

The problem with this is that Scherzer probably won’t be available, and Stroman is an equal or better pitcher than Bumgarner by quite a few metrics. Not that they shouldn’t check in on Scherzer or go for Bumgarner. But Stroman should also be an option.

Edited by prouster, 11 June 2019 - 10:48 PM.

#103 highlander

highlander

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:19 AM

Vasquez, Iglesias, or Colome! A Big, Bad, Bull in the back of the pen. That makes everybody better. Starters and relievers. And I would dangle one of our top 3 prospects. World Series Championship or bust.

#104 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,721 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:09 AM

Which peripherals?

He is a groundball pitcher that seems to do well limiting hard contact and homeruns.Yeah, the Ks aren't out of this world, but he's not Bob Tewksbury.What don't you like?

Neither his K rate nor his BB rates are anything to write home about. I guess I can live with the grounders as he should get a lot of double plays, but I'd prefer a pitcher that can miss bats a bit more.

• SF Twins Fan and BattleYourTailOff like this

#105 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:28 AM

Giles Smith and Kirby would be great

#106 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

The Giants "trade chips" aren't actually very good ones because MadBum and Smith are half-year rentals. The market prices, as long as the team is really willing to deal them (sounds like may not be the case with Bumgarner) for these types of guys are not really high (see Familia and other deals from last year).

That's fair, although I wasn't really saying that Smith would cost great prospects -- just that the Giants probably wouldn't target a guy like Cave in return for him.

I'll note that Smith's salary is lower than Familia's, and he's also left-handed, which could help his market. Also MLBTR even noted that the prospect haul for Familia seemed light, and the Mets were between GMs at the time, so maybe it's not the best benchmark:

https://www.mlbtrade...ys-familia.html

Despite the interesting upside for Wahl, the general consensus in the industry is that the prospect return in this trade isn’t particularly impressive, especially considering the trade value of Familia.

But yeah, pure rentals ultimately shouldn't cost too much. It might come down to something like what you propose (Yunior Severino) but I wouldn't expect the Giants to jump on that deal too early, and there's no guarantee that offer would win out either (other teams could offer similar prospects to Severino, and then it would be almost a coin flip to see which prospect the Giants preferred).

• Steve Lein likes this

#107 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Administrators
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

That's fair, although I wasn't really saying that Smith would cost great prospects -- just that the Giants probably wouldn't target a guy like Cave in return for him.

But yeah, pure rentals ultimately shouldn't cost too much. It might come down to something like what you propose (Yunior Severino) but I wouldn't expect the Giants to jump on that deal too early, and there's no guarantee that offer would win out either (other teams could offer similar prospects to Severino, and then it would be almost a coin flip to see which prospect the Giants preferred).

Yeah, Severino is a name I mention for being in the potential range of prospect ranking or whatever you want to call it I think it would cost. Usually in trades like this the team puts out a list of guys they might want. Then as the team acquiring the MLB-er you say no or take some guys off and give them their pick between a few of them. Definitely always comes down to the guy the team would prefer when multiple suitors.

• spycake likes this
Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#108 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:10 AM

Troll the Indy Leagues!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com