Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins 2019 MLB Draft Signing Tracker

draft signing tracker mlb draft minnesota twins
  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 DeJean25

DeJean25

Elizabethton Twins

• 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:18 PM

#42 TheMatt

TheMatt

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 12:04 PM

Its weird that the sixth and seventh rounders signed for the others slot amount.

• Dman and operation mindcrime like this

#43 Dman

Dman

• 1,663 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

So is the hold up on Spencer Steer and Matt Walner because Julien is in the college world series so they don'tknow what number they would need to sign him as it would obviously take an above slot number to do so?Otherwise I don't understand the hold up in signing Wallner.I presume it will be a below slot deal as he was picked earlier than most draft experts had him going by at least 10 spots.Steer also should be below slot as no one had him in their top 200 if I remember correctly.So I guess they look at what it might take to sign guys further down the line and then figure out how much they can squeeze out of other picks?Not sure how this works but it is the only thing I can think of.

Edited by Dman, 17 June 2019 - 07:41 AM.

#44 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

Updated as Matt Wallner has now signed, and we have the dollar value of the Brent Headrick deal. 

#45 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,053 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:33 PM

I thought we'd save more money on Wallner! I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed we didn't!
  • Dman and rdehring like this

#46 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 712 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:07 AM

Its weird that the sixth and seventh rounders signed for the others slot amount.

I also found this odd, almost exactly

#47 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:05 AM

I also found this odd, almost exactly

I exchanged some messages with Sean Johnson after this happened. He said it's not a coincidence, but too much to explain through a text.

They know the price tag on guys and with the way things are with the bonus pools, players know what teams are interested in them. 

My belief is that there was another team willing to pay Gipson $215k and was going to take him between the Twins 6th and 7th round picks. The Twins were the only team willing to meet Prato's asking price at that point in the draft. They took Gipson first because otherwise they weren't going to get him, but knew they could get Prato. 

• ashbury, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#48 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,408 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

I see Gross (Round 10) is on the ETon Twins roster.Does anyone know what he signed for?

• redstorm likes this

#49 DeJean25

DeJean25

Elizabethton Twins

• 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

• gunnarthor likes this

#50 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:40 PM

Exactly my thought.31st ranked player chosen 13th.I don't know the slot $ for 31, but Flavine didn't flash the magic they have had in past years.

#51 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:55 PM

Exactly my thought. 31st ranked player chosen 13th. I don't know the slot $ for 31, but Flavine didn't flash the magic they have had in past years.

He wasn't falling to 31, so slot $ for 31 is irrelevant.
Teams boards are what is relevant, not media rankings, which are fun, but meaningless.
  • Monkeypaws and DocBauer like this

#52 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:14 AM

updated as 8th round pick Casey Legumina has signed. Haven't seen any details yet. 

#53 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,646 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:18 AM

I thought we'd save more money on Wallner! I'd have to say I'm a little disappointed we didn't!

Why would Wallner take less? I mean, he already went about $180K under slot... even though he was projected to go in that part of the draft. It's not like the Twins took a 3rd round talent there. I figured they would have to go slot on him there, or maybe get a slight discount. I actually think that they discount he gave was really nice. 

• MN_ExPat likes this

#54 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

Callis reporting that Legumina signs for $250K ($77K over slot). Mildly surprising that they had to go over slot for this one...

#55 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,053 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

Seth I can't quote or like your post! So I'll just say I was hoping we'd save a half million or so on Wallner. According to your numbers we only saved $106,800. Where did you get $180k from? :) Regardless I'm happy for Wallner. I was just hoping we'd have enough for Holland and Julien! More so Julien!!!

#56 Dman

Dman

• 1,663 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

Seth I can't quote or like your post! So I'll just say I was hoping we'd save a half million or so on Wallner. According to your numbers we only saved $106,800. Where did you get $180k from? :) Regardless I'm happy for Wallner. I was just hoping we'd have enough for Holland and Julien! More so Julien!!!

Yeah I am wondering what number they need to get Holland.It must be fairly high as teams let him go by after the 2nd round so he must have expected at least 2nd round money.Lot's of miss in that swing right now and it takes a good one to make it to MLB.Hoping 500 to 600K gets it done.Not sure if they can lure Julien away or not.They probably need at least 500K maybe more because he doesn't have much to lose going back and trying to get better.With a little improvement he should be able to make it in 2nd or third round.If he really improves he could go in the first round.If he stays the same then he likely falls a long ways again.I don't think the Twins will get him but I hope they do.

Edited by Dman, 19 June 2019 - 01:43 PM.

• operation mindcrime likes this

#57 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

Per Doogie, Steer signs for $575,000 ($82,600 below slot).

Sorry the tweet loads slow, it's because it has a video embedded

• Dman likes this

#58 Dman

Dman

• 1,663 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Why would Wallner take less? I mean, he already went about $180K under slot... even though he was projected to go in that part of the draft. It's not like the Twins took a 3rd round talent there. I figured they would have to go slot on him there, or maybe get a slight discount. I actually think that they discount he gave was really nice. 

I guess because last year Larnach took a 500 to 600K discount to sign.Granted he was picked higher but still that is quite a discount.Most Draft experts had Wallner going around pick 60 and we took him at 39.The difference is about 800KYou would like to think a savvy negotiater would be able to meet in the middle at say 400K.

Granted I don't have much inside info.Maybe there were teams that were going to or would have taken him higher than 60 so the negotiating point is different.He just seemed, given the low score on his bat as someone who would\should give a discount given where he was projected to go.

• Aerodeliria likes this

#59 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,052 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

I guess because last year Larnach took a 500 to 600K discount to sign.Granted he was picked higher but still that is quite a discount.Most Draft experts had Wallner going around pick 60 and we took him at 39.The difference is about 800KYou would like to think a savvy negotiater would be able to meet in the middle at say 400K.

Granted I don't have much inside info.Maybe there were teams that were going to or would have taken him higher than 60 so the negotiating point is different.He just seemed, given the low score on his bat as someone who would\should give a discount given where he was projected to go.

Fangraphs had him at 44. Most players don't take a huge discount, unless there is a particular reason . . . Wallner had no reason to cut a discount deal with the Twins, because he knew he was going to go around that general area anyway. If he really thought he was going to slip much further, he would have agreed to sign for less.

A lot happens behind the scenes that fans don't see. But after the fact certain things can be deduced.

• Aerodeliria likes this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#60 DeJean25

DeJean25

Elizabethton Twins

• 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

Gross pitched today so he must of signed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft signing tracker, mlb draft, minnesota twins