Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Minnesota Twins 2019 MLB Draft Signing Tracker

draft signing tracker mlb draft minnesota twins
  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:30 AM

A good shorthand for projecting these types of bonuses is to look at the next team they would have likely fallen to and splitting the difference between the two slot values.There were a number of teams that were in on him in the first round, most notably the Angels at #15 probably would have taken a hard look if he were available.That's more or less exactly where his bonus ended up (the midpoint between the two slots is $4.04M).

Thanks for that explanation.Seeing that Wallner was also ranked below the spot the Twins took him, should probably get a similar savings when he is signed.

#22 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

I found it interesting to read through the discussions from the draft when the Twins took Tyler Jay, in particular, the Benintendi thread. He was one of the fastest riders in the draft, and my question at the time was how a kid could really change their outlook in one spring season? Obviously, the late helium for Benintendi was correct, he had turned a corner or really started to show who he was.

For Cavaco, I’ve read that he didn’t appear in a lot of the big prep showcase events last summer (Area Code Games and Perfect Game Showcase) and so wasn’t on people’s radar until quite late. Thus the late rise in his stock. Here’s hoping that his value continues to rise as he starts his pro career. Will be interesting to watch his performance compared to the other kids in the draft, in particular prep kids who went before him (Witt, Greene, Abrams, plus Carroll after him) and others considered possible Twins’ picks like Langeliers, Jung (drafted before Cavaco) and Stott (who the Twins passed on).

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 12 June 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

Updated as 32nd round pick Bryson Gandy signed. 

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:11 PM

Updated as 19th round pick Niall Windeler has signed. 

• Dman likes this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:15 PM

Updated as 24th round pick Trevor Jenson signed. 

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

Updated as 21st round pick Bradley Hanner signed. 

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:20 AM

Updated as Darren Wolfson reports that 15th round pick Louie Varland has signed. 

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:31 AM

Signed several picks outside the Top 10 rounds on Wednesday. 

#29 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

Signed several picks outside the Top 10 rounds on Wednesday. 

Are all of these kids signing for under $150k?

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

Are all of these kids signing for under $150k?

Probably, though to this point we just have the names of those that signed beyond the 10th round. My guess is that none of them are more than $125K. 

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

Doogie announced that Canterino is signing at $1 million and Seth Gray's (brother? father?) posted pictures of the Twins 4th round pick. 

#32 Andrew Thares

Andrew Thares

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

Updated the post to include a bonus pool tracker. Thought this was a useful addition. Let me know if there is anything else you would like us to track in this post, and I will see what we can do.

• gunnarthor likes this

#33 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

Bit surprised that Canterino signed for that much under slot, -$238,500.Starting to build a nice warchest to maybe go after one of the high school kids.Or maybe will need some of it for Julien?He is the one that the Auburn coach commented on?

• Dman and d-mac like this

#34 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,725 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

Updated the post to include a bonus pool tracker. Thought this was a useful addition. Let me know if there is anything else you would like us to track in this post, and I will see what we can do.

Maybe with the bonus pool tracker a total on how much under or over slot we are with the signings so far...

#35 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

Maybe with the bonus pool tracker a total on how much under or over slot we are with the signings so far...

I agree, since any of the slot money remaining for guys that haven't signed would cease to exist if they ultimately failed to sign them.I don't think this is likely to happen.

My quick math says they've saved a bit over $400K.I could see some of it being needed for 5th round pick Holland and later round pick Julien, but there are probably still some savings to be made on some of the other second-day guys and I'm not sure where it'll all go.They didn't even draft many high schoolers in the late rounds.

• Dman likes this

#36 DeJean25

DeJean25

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:53 PM

• SQUIRREL, ashbury and gunnarthor like this

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,575 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:02 AM

Updated to add a few more signings on Thursday/Friday. 

#38 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

Looks like it is going to be another large class of signees.If memory serves, the Twins used to sign around 25+/- players out of each class...even when they still had 50 rounds. 

Somebody probably has this at the tip of their fingers, but I believe they signed around 33 last year making it one of the largest classes ever.If my Wisconsin math is correct, they have already signed 20.They will certainly try to sign all the top 10 which would add another 7.Also get the middle infielders from Auburn and another one or two elsewhere and you again have a class over 30.Seems to be the new plan going forward.  

#39 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

[twitter]

Twins have signed Brent Headrick, a righthander from Illinois State and ninth round pick in the draft.

— LaVelle E. Neal III (@LaVelleNeal) June 15, 2019

#40 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

[twitter]

6th-rder Sawyer Gipson-Long signs with @Twins for $215k (pick 179 value = $274,800). Mercer RHP, lean frame, hit 95 mph late in spring, changeup is best secondary pitch. @MLBDraft

— Jim Callis (@jimcallisMLB) June 15, 2019

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft signing tracker, mlb draft, minnesota twins