Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

David Ortiz shot and wounded according to ESPN bottom line

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

at an amusement park in DR.

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,204 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:33 PM

I hope he's in the clear and a speedy recovery.  

• diehardtwinsfan and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#4 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,315 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

Poverty makes men desperate. A lot of desperate people in the Caribbean. I hope they patch up Ortiz quickly and well. 

• PseudoSABR likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,204 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

Also, now it sounds like it was attempted murder instead of a robbery gone wrong.

#6 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

Man, I get that the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, etc. are home to these guys, and always will be, but it just seems like bad things happen during off-seasons and retirements. 

Granted, senseless violence, car crashes, and the like can happen anywhere, but the rate seems disproportionately high in some of these places.

#7 Musk21

Musk21

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

Also, now it sounds like it was attempted murder instead of a robbery gone wrong.

Yeah, the surveillance tape of the shooting clearly shows that it was not an attempted robbery. Ortiz is lucky to be alive.

• Jerr likes this

#8 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

Instead of wringing our hands and deploring the conditions in their home countries, perhaps we should support private efforts to improve their economies.Also, Prayer never hurts.

• Carole Keller and WLFINN like this

#9 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

Ah yes, prayer ... the solution to everything.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#10 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,475 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

Instead of wringing our hands and deploring the conditions in their home countries, perhaps we should support private efforts to improve their economies.Also, Prayer never hurts.

Ah yes, prayer ... the solution to everything.

Moderator's note: One person brings up prayer, another immediately shoots down the thought. The tangent stops here.

• Carole Keller, Jerr, Platoon and 1 other like this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#11 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

Holy crap ... missed this part about the perp the first time I read the ESPN story about it: "was captured and beaten by a crowd of people at the bar."

• rdehring likes this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,204 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

Safe travels back to the US, Big Papi!
  • jud6312 likes this

#13 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

This is a bizarre story.
The Daily Mail is reporting that he was shot by two police officers, who were ordered to kill him by a drug kingpin, in retaliation for allegedly sleeping with his wife.

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,204 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:44 PM

This is a bizarre story.
The Daily Mail is reporting that he was shot by two police officers, who were ordered to kill him by a drug kingpin, in retaliation for allegedly sleeping with his wife.

That sounds like an Onion story. A group of people at that bar captured one of the shooters and handed him over to the police after getting a few kicks to his dome. The Daily Mail is reporting fake news.

#15 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:50 PM

Safe travels back to the US, Big Papi!

Used to be the Twins private plane. Abandoned due to what were considered major mechanical issues at the time. Works great now, though.

(but only joking because Papi is stable...good to see him get safe!)

• Vanimal46 likes this

#16 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

That sounds like an Onion story. A group of people at that bar captured one of the shooters and handed him over to the police after getting a few kicks to his dome. The Daily Mail is reporting fake news.

I can understand being skeptical, until another outlet reports it as well, but how can you possibly be close enough to the situation to definitively call it "fake news"?

#17 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,204 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

I can understand being skeptical, until another outlet reports it as well, but how can you possibly be close enough to the situation to definitively call it "fake news"?

It's just so outlandish compared to the other updates I've read so far. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough what happened.

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

It's just so outlandish compared to the other updates I've read so far. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough what happened.

Yeah, it's incredibly bizarre. But, there is no news story bizarre enough to be out of the reach of human capacity.
FWIW, the Daily Mail is citing 3 separate sources within Dominican law enforcement, and several mainstream media outlets seem to be comfortable citing the Daily Mail report, including NBC Sports.

#19 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 04:17 PM

Sounds like a movie plot.

#20 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,054 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

This is a bizarre story.

Could well be true, and could be we won't know for sure, but the CNN account says those claims are false. Well, the police officers being involved part. It doesn't say anything about the drug kingpin ordering the hit.

https://www.cnn.com/...blic/index.html

'"Our institution has no link to the event which occurred in the club Dial in the Venezuela Avenue, yesterday Sunday," National Police said in a news release.

They cautioned the public against speculation and the spread of false information.'

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable.