Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: DET 9, MIN 3: Third Out Eludes Gibson, Eades Debuts

kyle gibson matt magill nelson cruz ryan eades
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 james2334

james2334

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

It may be that the team was playing the 9th game of a 10 game road trip and showing signs of fatigue as a result. It's also possible that Willians Austudillo is a magical leprechaun and he took his magical lucky charms with him when they sent him to Rochester. I am pretty sure it's one of those two things.

• Blake, Riverbrian, USNMCPO and 10 others like this

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,136 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

It may be that the team was playing the 9th game of a 10 game road trip and showing signs of fatigue as a result. It's also possible that Willians Austudillo is a magical leprechaun and he took his magical lucky charms with him when they sent him to Rochester. I am pretty sure it's one of those two things.

I watched Willians go 3-for-4* in Pawtucket tonight, so I can confirm your hypothesis.

* Plus a walk on 4 pitches, his first time up!

• glunn, Blake, Jerr and 5 others like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#23 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:52 PM

"(FSN) showed Eades’ wife in the stands, baby wearing their infant, crying her eyes out at seeing her husband on a major league mound for the first time. Beautiful moment to be able to witness."

Lest we forget, this was the most important moment. Everything else was just a game.
  • Jerr, Riverbrian, 70charger and 3 others like this

#24 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

And, second to to a weeping spouse, a professional baseball player bore witness to his guiding faith/philosophy for life. Everything else is just a game.
  • Jerr likes this

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:17 PM

The underbelly of this rotation still worries me.

• 70charger, Danchat, LA VIkes Fan and 2 others like this

#26 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:01 PM

3/5 of this starting rotation has shown they have some serious issues. At this point Pineda looks like the 3rd best with Perez and Gibby locked in the battle of the basement. Lord forbid Odorizzi regresses like Perez and Gibby have, or Berrios gets hurt. It's appearing more and more like the Twins are going to have to empty the minor league cupboards before the trade deadline hits in order to make a serious run at the world series. And you know what? Why not? Adding a legitimate starter and 1-2 bullpen arms will be worth every penny the Twins pay.

Go get 'em tomorrow Twins, take the series and go .500 on the Cleveland-Detroit part of this roady.

• mikelink45 likes this

#27 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

I know this is just a short set back, but the pitching staff we all expected has shown up and it is not pretty.The minor league replacements are not exciting.The rotation is down to two, the bullpen is down to two.What next?

I really want a bounceback from all of these pitchers, but this is Detroit - only Baltimore can give pitchers more to celebrate.

Our division stinks, but we have to do more and better.Eades is another nice story.How about getting us a quality major league reliever next.We have enough stories for one year. 

#28 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:19 PM

Has to be noted that Gibson did not follow his regular pre-start game preparation today and instead chose to attend pre-game religious services at the ballpark.How much that hurt the Twins is hard to tell.

According to...??? How do we even know this? Who is talking about this? This sounds more like an unsubstantiated idle rumor than factual data to me. Maybe he attended a service at the ballpark and did his pregame prep. That sounds more likely to me.

• Carole Keller and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#29 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:22 PM

Eades was an interesting call up--certainly not the person I was thinking about. Let's see how long he lasts. He has had a good strikeout to BB ratio, but his WHIP/BA against/ERA are nothing to get excited about.

#30 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 01:53 AM

Wes Johnson is a right shoe first and a bacon and eggs guy. He’s also a devout satanist but I’m not sure that part matters.

There are tens of us!

• 70charger and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#31 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:10 AM

There are tens of us!

Fives, even!

#32 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:51 AM

Gibson gets to two strikes and then nibbles, instead of attacking with a fastball/sinker down in the zone.

Good stuff but he's got to be aggressive when he's up in the count.

• CUtomorrownight and heresthething like this

#33 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

Yesterday was Saturday, June 8 and it was the 63rd game of the year.The Twins are now 39%of the way through the season and have hit 121 home runs.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 34th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 311 home runs this season.

• Blake, Jerr and Tomj14 like this

#34 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 09 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

Yes, because attending a religious ceremony at the park is obviously the same thing as leaving the stadium to go have a hotdog at a carnival.

Correlation is not causation. Your post says a whole lot about you and virtually nothing about Kyle Gibson.

Sorry but I disagree. A pre-game routine is called that for a reason and it's valid to question whether a change in the routine impacted the performance.
  • Thrylos likes this

#35 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

I believe xFIP is the strongest predictor of pitcher success. Here's how the rotation shakes out right now:
3.43 Gibson
4.14 Berrios
4.26 Odorizzi
4.47 Perez
4.76 Pineda

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#36 james2334

james2334

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:01 AM

I don't think it's time to panic on Gibson. Prior to this start he went 5 and gave up 1 run to Tampa and the start before that he went 7 and gave up 1 run to the White Sox. Yesterday he didn't have his best control and yet if he didn't hang a slider at a bad time his line would have looked a lot better. When Gibby's good he's really good and when he's bad he still gives the team a chance to win most days. I'm much more concerned with Martin Perez at this point.

• USAFChief, Jerr, diehardtwinsfan and 2 others like this

#37 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:07 AM

I don't think the pitching staff is in decline just being occasionally exposed when a game isn't 8-0 after 3 innings.

#38 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:14 AM

Eades looks promising. Man i wish we could have signed keuchel to a one year deal instead of the braves.

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,481 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

Eades looks promising. Man i wish we could have signed keuchel to a one year deal instead of the braves.

Eades looks promising??

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#40 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

Eades was...fine? did a few things well, you hope that maybe his control was down a bit from being over-amped in his MLB debut, and maybe he can be a useful middle inning guy.

Magill looks awful right now. I can't say I've ever been much of a fan, but I'm not enjoying being right about him. He's more combustable than Hildenberger was. Yuck.

I think Gibson will be fine; the peripherals look pretty good and it won't take much difference to get him back to performing like last season.

• Thrylos likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, matt magill, nelson cruz, ryan eades