Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Promote RHP Ryan Eades

ryan eades
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:45 AM

The Twins are calling up Ryan Eades to make his MLB debut. He was their second-round pick back in 2013. 

Here's some video on him:

He had a very good spring and was in the running for Sire of Fort Myers, but got off to a poor start down in Rochester. He has a 5.68 ERA and 1.45 WHIP on the year, but an impressive 11.1 K/9. He also had one really bad outing that is weighing down those numbers. He gave up seven runs in 1 1/3 inning back on April 26. He'll also provide the Twins with some length, as Eades has recorded six or more outs in 11 of his 16 appearances.

• glunn, nicksaviking, TNTwinsFan and 1 other like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:32 AM

Congrats to Ryan Eades!!! :)
  • glunn, SwainZag, dbminn and 4 others like this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,979 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:38 AM

Congrats and good luck!
  • glunn, SwainZag, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 2 others like this

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

Any word on the move to clear space on the 40-man?

#5 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

Wasn’t there already an opening?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#6 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:43 AM

It would be really nice to see Eades succeed, the Twins haven't had much luck with prospect type relievers this year (Vasquez, De Jong, Littell, and Romero have all failed so far).

• Danchat and operation mindcrime like this

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,453 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:46 AM

Interesting choice and not what I expected.

I enjoy that about this front office.

• glunn, DocBauer, operation mindcrime and 1 other like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,460 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

Good luck! Congrats!

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:15 AM

I saw Eades pitch way back when he was in Cedar Rapids. Definitely had good stuff. Hopefully he can help out the Twins bullpen

• glunn and Tom Froemming like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#10 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

The Twins are calling up Ryan Eades to make his MLB debut. He was their second-round pick back in 2013. 

Here's some video on him:

He had a very good spring and was in the running for Sire of Fort Myers, but got off to a poor start down in Rochester. He has a 5.68 ERA and 1.45 WHIP on the year, but an impressive 11.1 K/9. He also had one really bad outing that is weighing down those numbers. He gave up seven runs in 1 1/3 inning back on April 26. He'll also provide the Twins with some length, as Eades has recorded six or more outs in 11 of his 16 appearances.

What do his numbers look like without that one bad outing? I'm WAY too lazy to work it out (and also on my honeymoon in Hawaii )
  • glunn and rdehring like this

#11 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:24 AM

Wasn’t there already an opening?

I count 40 players on the Twins website and Eades isn't one of them. Is anyone a candidate for the 60-day IL?

#12 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

I count 40 players on the Twins website and Eades isn't one of them. Is anyone a candidate for the 60-day IL?

Mejia might be getting close, but I think Ronald Torreyes would be that guy. He's on AAA's inactive list if I remember right.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

They cleared a spot when Addison Reed was DFAed, but used it for Smeltzer, I believe. Meíja is the only guy on the IL and he was put there on May 2.

#14 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

What do his numbers look like without that one bad outing? I'm WAY too lazy to work it out (and also on my honeymoon in Hawaii )

Yeah, definitely DON'T look that up given the circumstances, I got you.

Minus the really disgusting outing, he'd be at 30.1 IP, 13 ER, 30 H, 8 BB. So looks like that's a 3.86 ERA and 1.25 WHIP. Still not dominant even fudging the numbers, but the International League averages are 4.96 ERA and 1.45 WHIP. It's been a struggle for pitchers getting used to the newer MLB ball down there. 

This isn't a guy that's likely to be a bullpen savior or anything like that, we would have seen him up by now if there was that kind of potential, but he could slide in, provide depth and help keep everybody fresher by shouldering some lower-leverage innings. But you never know until you give somebody an opportunity.

• glunn, brvama and TNTwinsFan like this

#15 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 22,553 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, definitely DON'T look that up given the circumstances, I got you.

Minus the really disgusting outing, he'd be at 30.1 IP, 13 ER, 30 H, 8 BB. So looks like that's a 3.86 ERA and 1.25 WHIP. Still not dominant even fudging the numbers, but the International League averages are 4.96 ERA and 1.45 WHIP. It's been a struggle for pitchers getting used to the newer MLB ball down there.

This isn't a guy that's likely to be a bullpen savior or anything like that, we would have seen him up by now if there was that kind of potential, but he could slide in, provide depth and help keep everybody fresher by shouldering some lower-leverage innings. But you never know until you give somebody an opportunity.

This could be a ‘do or die’ opportunity. We have a little breathing room to do this, making roster decisions for future additions ... still hoping there will be some.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#16 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:14 AM

Astudillo sent down, wow.

#17 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

Good for Eades! Hope he can find success here at the bigs and be a nice 6th inning guy.

• brvama and Danchat like this

#18 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:24 AM

This could be a ‘do or die’ opportunity. We have a little breathing room to do this, making roster decisions for future additions ... still hoping there will be some.

Definitely. This front office has done the churn and burn with quite a few relievers, so it wouldn't surprise me. Sooner or later, though, I'd love to see them give someone a bit more of a leash. They already have six guys who've been given less than three appearances before being sent back down this year. Not saying Eades is necessarily the guy to give that leash to, but sooner or later it would be nice to see someone get the opportunity to settle in.

• brvama and Danchat like this

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,773 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:02 PM

Definitely. This front office has done the churn and burn with quite a few relievers, so it wouldn't surprise me. Sooner or later, though, I'd love to see them give someone a bit more of a leash. They already have six guys who've been given less than three appearances before being sent back down this year. Not saying Eades is necessarily the guy to give that leash to, but sooner or later it would be nice to see someone get the opportunity to settle in.

You never know until you hand them the ball. 

The Twins have to simultaneously look for acquisitions and players from their own system because it's important. They can't just plan for future acquisitions to fill up the bullpen, they need to find guys in their own system as well because we don't know who will get hurt in September and be out for the playoffs. 

They can't Mike Morin their way through the bullpen anymore. Mike has thrown 11 primarily non-stress innings and he has 0.64 WHIP. Yet, he goes from pitching in the Tampa Bay 14-3 loss to last night without throwing a pitch. 

You either trust Morin or you don't. If you don't... Move on. If you are not sure about Morin... Find out. If you trust him... use him. 

If Eades is coming to join us and he is... He must be auditioned fairly. 

This is critical because if we lose a couple arms out of the rotation... the spotlight on the bullpen is going to be bright... and I mean very bright. They can't predict the trade market, they can be hopeful but they can't predict it. 

Playoffs are coming... Get prepared for it... Don't burn roster spots with placeholders. They have built depth with the position players... now they must turn their attention to assembling depth on the pitching mound. 

If Eades can help... get out of the way and let him. 

• glunn, brvama, DocBauer and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#20 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

I think they better know a lot about Eades before he throws a major league ball. They should know the velocity and movement of his pitches. They should know whether he is able to hit his location. If they have to treat these call ups as a fair audition (particularly for a 27 year old they should know a lot about) then we need to replace the staff.

I think he will be up in the role of low leverage long relief similar to Littell with Duffey moving to a higher leverage role.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher and brvama like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan eades