Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins send slumping fan favorite Willians Astudillo down to minors

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 rickybeathard

rickybeathard

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

http://www.startribu...ster/511001072/

“But after Friday’s 6-3 victory over the Tigers, with a seven-man bullpen beginning to show signs of wear, the Twins finally decided that they needed the slump-ridden Astudillo’s roster spot. The popular catcher, who earlier in the evening struck out twice for the first time in his career, was informed he is being sent down to Class AAA Rochester.”

Even though he has been slumping recently, I'm pretty bummed about this. Wonder how likely it is that he makes it back?
  • birdwatcher, Jerr and bighat like this

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,721 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:54 AM

not surprised to be honest. ML pitching figured out that he will still swing at pitches out of the zone. I get him being a great contact hitter, but you have to lay off pitches that aren't strikes in order to get better ones...

as for the pitcher, I wonder who. Rochester doesn't exactly have a stable of great RP options. Wonder if Littell or Stewart come up as RPs...

• hybridbear, CUtomorrownight, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 4 others like this

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:26 AM

as for the pitcher, I wonder who. Rochester doesn't exactly have a stable of great RP options. Wonder if Littell or Stewart come up as RPs...

Littell can't come back yet, it has only been 6 days since he was optioned.

Stewart just started for Rochester yesterday, so he also seems unlikely.

Edited by spycake, 08 June 2019 - 04:30 AM.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,721 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:38 AM

Littell can't come back yet, it has only been 6 days since he was optioned.

Stewart just started for Rochester yesterday, so he also seems unlikely.

I saw that in another thread.... to be honest, no one at Rochester is really deserving... Thorpe maybe as a pen option, but he hasn't exactly pitched well either? I'm wondering if they don't DFA someone and add a guy from AA.

• ashbury and In My La-Z-boy like this

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:50 AM

The only 40 man, potential AAA pen callup today would seem to be Hildenberger. (Vasquez is hurt, and Romero and Moya pitched more yesterday and haven't been sharp either, although neither has Hildy.)

They still have Torreyes as an obvious DFA candidate, so they absolutely could add a non-40-man guy.

#6 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:04 AM

I wonder if he was fatigued. You could tell he wasn’t in his form. Early in the season when he was hot, he had his bat corked ready to pop in his pre-pitch stance. Lately it has been dropping down further as if he’s holding it lazier. Understand he goes to a batting stance afterwards so it shouldn’t matter but something I picked up on. Wonder if it impacts his batting stance afterwords or is at least a tell he’s fatigued

#7 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:22 AM

Even though he has been slumping recently, I'm pretty bummed about this. Wonder how likely it is that he makes it back?

I think he'll be back. It's hard to keep a good turtle down.

• Jerr, Riverbrian, KGB and 1 other like this

#8 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:38 AM

Mark me as one that is happy he is being sent down. I mean seriously....his OBP is a meager .273, his slugging .357, and his OPS .630. It is just ridiculous to have him on the active roster! The only thing that kept him here, I hope, for the last weeks, was Garver's absence. He is a novelty player. I get that. And many think he is cute. I guess. But if he can't hit for high average, he is a liability. He plays several positions, but is not a ringer at any. This was overdue. It wouldn't hurt for him to get in shape, either. Cute for Astudillo, but a liabilty for Sano? It is always a liability for an athlete to not be in athletic shape.

Edited by h2oface, 08 June 2019 - 05:40 AM.

• gil4, LA VIkes Fan, ChrisKnutson and 4 others like this

#9 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:43 AM

http://www.startribu...ster/511001072/

the Twins finally decided that they needed the slump-ridden Astudillo’s roster spot. The popular catcher, who earlier in the evening struck out twice for the first time in his career, was informed he is being sent down to Class AAA Rochester.

Say it ain't so, Astudillo.

#10 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:53 AM

Free Jake Reed. 

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#11 Strato Guy

Strato Guy

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:16 AM

Maybe the Turtle needed to go back down, but I just hate 8 man bullpens!The Twins starters are doing a good job getting innings, more than most teams. I do not see the sense having relief pitchers almost always throw just one inning. Last night was a good example. Morin could have been used for two innings, but especially Harper could have went two. I saw no reason to take him out. He was pitching lights out! Every time you put in a new pitcher, there is always the possibility that they will have an off day and be ineffective.

Edited by Strato Guy, 08 June 2019 - 06:35 AM.

• Jerr, Riverbrian, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#12 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:19 AM

Twins are bottom feeding yet again at a AAA level. We dont have anyone decent in AAA. They need to pukk the trigger on a trade.

#13 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:24 AM

We don't need another pitcher that has no business playing in this league. I don't even care that Astudillo is getting sent down but there is no logic to having a 13 man pitching staff. None.

The guys we have now can't get anyone out and our bullpen has thrown the least amount of innings in MLB. They should cut to 11, not increase to 13.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,721 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

Free Jake Reed. 

any other year, I'd be OK with this, but he hasn't been very good this season either.

#15 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:33 AM

Baring injury we'll probably see him in September!
  • bighat and Nine of twelve like this

#16 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

Between Gonzalez and Adrianza we can cover 6 defensive positions. Kepler and even Rosario can back up Buxton in CF. So the only place where this will have some impact is that Garver won't be DH'ing and now that Cruz is healthy that's not a big issue. If Astudillo gets himself going at Rochester he can always come back up if there's an injury. He'll be up in September and it wouldn't surprise me to see him on the postseason roster since one less pitcher would be needed because of the 4-man starting rotation.

• brvama, SwainZag, Danchat and 3 others like this

#17 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:42 AM

Astudillo has major league skill. With his ability to make contact he can improve his approach. He should be very selective early knowing he can get behind and fight back with contact. Sometimes it takes some failure to be able to take a step forward. I think he will back better.

#18 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,260 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:56 AM

Hackimer, maybe? He's only been at AA a month, but he is about to turn 25 and maybe the brain trust wants to move him along a little. Sam Clay and Adam Bray are both a little older and with similar AA stats, so it could be any of them.

Between injuries and ineffectiveness, so many other candidates for promotion have ruled themselves out.

• DannySD and In My La-Z-boy like this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#19 hybridbear

hybridbear

Realistic Member

• Members
  • 476 posts
  • LocationNicaragua

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:56 AM

I completely agree that he needs to go to AAA to work on being more selective at when he swings. Mauer wasn't afraid to hit with 2 strikes because of his ability to make contact. Astudillo also should have no fear with 2 strikes, but he almost never gets to a 2 strike count.

Astudillo has major league skill. With his ability to make contact he can improve his approach. He should be very selective early knowing he can get behind and fight back with contact. Sometimes it takes some failure to be able to take a step forward. I think he will back better.

I hope he does this. He needs to learn to be more selective to succeed. His contact abilities are exceptional, now he just needs to learn to make better contact.

• Jerr, brvama and Riverbrian like this

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,721 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:09 AM

I completely agree that he needs to go to AAA to work on being more selective at when he swings. Mauer wasn't afraid to hit with 2 strikes because of his ability to make contact. Astudillo also should have no fear with 2 strikes, but he almost never gets to a 2 strike count.

I hope he does this. He needs to learn to be more selective to succeed. His contact abilities are exceptional, now he just needs to learn to make better contact.

I'd argue he's got to learn to take, even if it's ball 4. He's not getting nearly enough strikes. Start getting some walks and force pitchers to throw you pitches you can hit... he may be a great contact hitter, but it's pretty clear he's not a good bad ball hitter.

• USAFChief, Jerr, gil4 and 5 others like this