Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Joe Mauer finishes shy of batting title quest

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

mauer's percentage of catching runners stealing has really plummeted this year. because of his lack of enough games played at catcher - if you go to the stats from the mlb homepage and isolate catchers, you won't find him included, as he doesn't qualify............. i found it on his individual stats ...... he is only 9-65 this year .............. 13.8%. not very scary anymore to runners. they are really taking advantage, too. they did the damage this year in only 76 games! (2007 24-45 53.3%, 2008 29-80 36.3%, 2009 19-73 26%, 2010 19-72 26.4%, 2011 (with the mysterious bi-lateral leg weakness) 12-40 30%, 2012 (healthy?) 9-65 13.8%).

How does this translate to the pitcher's he caught. I think you have to factor in how the pitcher's hold runners to get a truer picture his CS % (and all catchers for that matter). For instance, catching for Mark Buerhle every fifth day would could make a poor catcher look capable.

certainly a pitcher with a bad move can be a part of this. i just presented the stat. it is what it is. "lies, damn lies, and statistics". you can truly spin stats however you like. maybe it is nothing to note at all.

#22 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,642 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

It was before my time, but did Twins fans in the 70's whine about Rod Carew because he didn't hit for power?

Well it was pre-internet so whining couldn't take on the same intensity. And frankly, I just remember being awed by Carew's consistency at the plate. But he was also a totally different body type than Mauer and he was a table setter plus speedy on the basepaths.

The puzzle for me is why Mauer doesn't hit with more power (not just HR but extra base hits).

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

i don't remember any expectations from rod carew for power. carew was not a big guy. about 6 foot but only weighed about 170 during his playing career. (killebrew same height, but about 195-200 lbs) .........no where near 6'5" and 230-240 lbs. i never see discussions and the exchange of ideas as whining myself, so i don't see any here either.

#24 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

Master of the Obvious

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

What happened to the doubles this season? I thought with less time behind the plate he'd hit around 40 and he only ended up with 31.

#25 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

What happened to the doubles this season? I thought with less time behind the plate he'd hit around 40 and he only ended up with 31.

Too many balls on the ground was part of it.

#26 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

[quote name='h2oface'][quote name='Fire Dan Gladden'][quote name='h2oface']mauer's percentage of catching runners stealing has really plummeted this year. because of his lack of enough games played at catcher - if you go to the stats from the mlb homepage and isolate catchers, you won't find him included, as he doesn't qualify............. i found it on his individual stats ...... he is only 9-65 this year .............. 13.8%. not very scary anymore to runners. they are really taking advantage, too. they did the damage this year in only 76 games! (2007 24-45 53.3%, 2008 29-80 36.3%, 2009 19-73 26%, 2010 19-72 26.4%, 2011 (with the mysterious bi-lateral leg weakness) 12-40 30%, 2012 (healthy?) 9-65 13.8%).[/QUOTE]

How does this translate to the pitcher's he caught. I think you have to factor in how the pitcher's hold runners to get a truer picture his CS % (and all catchers for that matter). For instance, catching for Mark Buerhle every fifth day would could make a poor catcher look capable.[/QUOTE]

certainly a pitcher with a bad move can be a part of this. i just presented the stat. it is what it is. "lies, damn lies, and statistics". you can truly spin stats however you like. maybe it is nothing to note at all.[/QUOTE]

I'm not knocking you for that. I would seriously be interested to know if there has been a study done to see how CS% can be effected by a pitcher's ability to hold a runner on. Their average pitch time to the plate, RH vs LH pitchers. I'm not sure what metrics you could use, but it would be interesting to see a comparison of true CS%.