Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 6, DET 3: Offense, Bullpen Come Through Late as Twins Take Opener

michael pineda mitch garver nelson cruz marwin gonzalez ryne harper
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 617 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:29 AM

Also, this Byron Buxton guy is pretty good. Just an observation.

• 70charger, Circus Boy and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#22 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,517 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 05:46 AM

That got a little scary at the end.But the other relievers all did ok.

Is Garver the best hitting catcher in baseball?Or at least second to that guy with the Yankees?He sure completes this lineup.

#23 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:05 AM

Astudillo is going to be sent down to Rochester Saturday, per Dan Hayes 

Per Hayes again, it sounds as though as reliever will be coming up. Rochester had a double-header Friday with essentially a bullpen game in the second game. Here's a look at the 40-man guys recently:
Hildy: Earned a 6 pitch save Friday, given up at least one run in 5/8 outings at Rochester, 8.38 ERA
Moya: Threw 32 pitches Friday, 8.44 ERA in 16 outings
Romero: Threw 33 pitches Friday, 5.70 ERA in 13 outings
Vasquez: Currently on the 7-day IL retroactive to June 4th, 6.14 ERA in 8 outings
Littel: Threw 37 pitches Friday, 3.97 ERA in 10 outings
Stewart: Threw 95 pitches Friday, 4.11 ERA in 10 outings
Thorpe: Last pitched Wednesday,  5.95 ERA in 11 outings
Smeltzer: Sent down Friday and therefore ineligible to come back up
Gonsalves: On IL, only pitched 2 innings this year

For the life of me I don't see any reliever worthy of returning/coming to the major league club, if i had to make my best guess it would be Littel due to a shortened "primary" outing Friday but he showed himself largely ineffective in relief earlier this season. Hayes doesn't make a report of Astudillo being DFA'd so the reliever coming up would have to be from this bunch. It's possible an arm is called up just to eat some innings for a day and then return to Rochester after Saturday or Sunday, that would seem like the most likely scenario.

The BP problem isn't simply the one that is currently here. It's the question of where is one going to get replacements. There doesn't seem a viable option at the time. No MiLB barn burner in the wings, and no FA left. That leaves trading prospects for a RP. That's somewhat dicey. but something has to be done. Miggy won't be hitting "pop ups" like the one last night all the time.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#24 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,631 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:29 AM

Could the Twins promote Jake Reed?

4.45 ERA... >4BB/9. Strike out rate is good at 10.38 k/9 , but he's sporting a whip of 1.38... Those aren't good numbers against AAA competition. Not sure MLB hitters will treat him better.

#25 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,492 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 06:53 AM

I am not sure what a Hildenberger needed. Was it a mechanical adjustment? If so maybe they have worked it out. We aren’t going to see that looking at results in AAA. Even if we could you might expect them to be bad early as he tried to make changes.

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,631 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

I am not sure what a Hildenberger needed. Was it a mechanical adjustment? If so maybe they have worked it out. We aren’t going to see that looking at results in AAA. Even if we could you might expect them to be bad early as he tried to make changes.

Possibly... we don't really know what his instructions were. He could have been told to only throw x pitch... or whatever... 

That said, I don't like many of our high minors options right now.

#27 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 630 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:18 AM

The Buxton leg double was awesome. He's a total edge-of-the-seat player: when he puts the ball in plate, when he hits the basepaths, when the ball gets hit near him in the OF you move to the edge of your seat to see what he does. He's the most exciting player on the team and one of the most exciting in Twins history. I hope he never leaves.

If someone hadn't been following the team and you told them Nelson Cruz was 7th in HRs, the first reaction would probably be that the signing was a bust. Instead, it just means he was a little nicked up and the rest of the squad is crushing it.

Probably good for Astudillo to go down to Rochester for a bit. He's pressing right now and flailing at the plate (2 K's last night? very out of character). Time to reset and restart and see if he can get back to being a bat control god. Not a lot of options for relievers down there right now, though. Romero is a major disappointment.

• Dman and rdehring like this

#28 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 646 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 08 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Maybe the Twins will bring up Balazovic to showcase him as trade material? A few innings of effective 100 MPH fastballs might bring a top reliever to Minnesota. Although, now that I've typed that, just bring him up as a reliever.

#29 TwinsCD

TwinsCD

• 1,305 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:49 AM

My concern with the bullpen isn't so much the personnel as much as it is Rocco's ability to manage it and recognize when a guy doesn't have it and pulls him.I'm still a touch dubious at this point.Rogers seems to be the guy to use in the 9th, though I still think Trevor May as a closer wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.In the end, I don't care who gets it done as long as someone gets it done and tries not to make a 3-run lead interesting in the 9th against a very mediocre offense.The nice thing -- and it's very rare for us to be able to say this -- is that we have a 10 1/2 game cushion to work with and can test guys and not feel like they lose too much if there's a hiccup.

#30 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 472 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

SOOOO glad Garver's injury did not impact his hot start at the plate.The dude has an OPS of over 1100!Who would have thunk it coming into the season.I certainly be loving me some Garvsauce!

• Dman likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#31 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• 1,738 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:32 AM

Nice win, and given the way the season's gone, even the nailbiting last inning was enjoyable. Cabrera's laugh at Schoop fanning his glove after catching the scalding drive for the last out ... priceless! Baseball is the best sport.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

"Good thing you married my daughter, because you've got no skills and you're not too smart." -- Circus Boy's father-in-law

#32 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,667 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:37 AM

My concern with the bullpen isn't so much the personnel as much as it is Rocco's ability to manage it and recognize when a guy doesn't have it and pulls him.I'm still a touch dubious at this point.Rogers seems to be the guy to use in the 9th, though I still think Trevor May as a closer wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.In the end, I don't care who gets it done as long as someone gets it done and tries not to make a 3-run lead interesting in the 9th against a very mediocre offense.The nice thing -- and it's very rare for us to be able to say this -- is that we have a 10 1/2 game cushion to work with and can test guys and not feel like they lose too much if there's a hiccup.

Getting the job done while also making it interesting regardless of the quality of the offense is how I remember Perkins and Nathan.  All bullpens give up runs and games but whether lucky or just with enough offense this bullpen has been ok by me.  Winning 26 of 28 (or whatever the latest on that stat) when having the lead after the 6th inning shows me bending without breaking . It also means the pen has done well enough to win 16 more games when tied or behind after 6 innings. Ryan Eades is the guy promoted and he sounds exactly like the guy you would want to test. There are always going to be hiccups.  

• Circus Boy likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#33 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

Is Garver the best hitting catcher in baseball?Or at least second to that guy with the Yankees?He sure completes this lineup.

He needs to play more to gain that title but there is no obvious hole in his approach, which bodes well for the future.

But, at least to me, Garver's hitting is secondary to the enormous strides the guy has made behind the plate and he deserves nothing but heaps of praise. That in itself has made Garver one of my new favorite Twins.

• SQUIRREL, diehardtwinsfan, Dman and 2 others like this

#34 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,265 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

4.45 ERA... >4BB/9. Strike out rate is good at 10.38 k/9 , but he's sporting a whip of 1.38... Those aren't good numbers against AAA competition. Not sure MLB hitters will treat him better.

Last 28 days = ERA 1.88; 14.1 innings; 17 SO; 4 BB; 1.116 WHIP; 10.7 SO/9. This looks solid to me...although I admit it is a small sample size...but it is the "last" 28 days.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, mitch garver, nelson cruz, marwin gonzalez, ryne harper