Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/6): Six Games/Six Wins

jake cave sean poppen andro cutura jordan balazovic michael davis
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

Jake Cave is on an absolute tear. Could he possibly be used in a trade package? Seems like our outfield is pretty stacked at the moment.

The problem is he is 26 with 1 year of service time under his belt.Teams that are selling would most likely be looking more so for younger players, at least I would if I was GM.Any team that is looking to add now will not want to drop a good pitcher.I would love to see Twins sell high on him and maybe get minor league arm Twins think can step in, but not expecting him to be involved in any major deals. 

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,260 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:30 PM

He certainly could be a 3rd piece in a bigger trade... or the 2nd chip in a medium-size trade. Individually, I don't think he would bring back more than an A-ball player. I think he's seen in the industry as a quality 4th outfielder. Remember the Twins added him a year ago for a hard-throwing RHP who had not thrown a pitch in the US yet. His value is certainly a little higher this year, but I don't think it'd be significantly more.

The question I would throw back to you all is this: I think we can all agree that if a team is insisting on Cave or a trade won't be made, you add him to the deal. But if adding him doesn't bring back a meaningful return, then what? I personally would rather keep him in AAA and if one of the three starting OF get hurt, he can provide more value to the Twins being really good depth playing well in AAA. 

I think he even has one minor league option remaining* after this year, and that's part of his value - his stashability at AAA for this season and next. That would be of value to another team too, so maybe his trade value is a little higher still, because of this, than for a typical 4th outfielder like Robbie Grossman who is out of options. He won't bring back a difference-maker by himself, but should be more than a throw-in, for the right team.

He's valuable, so to answer your question, I'm not in a hurry to dispose of him. But I'd make him super-available, if that makes sense.

* Cave seemed to be injured soon after signing, and missed a couple of years before playing minor league ball in earnest, and I don't know the rostering rules well enough to know for sure that this is the reason he apparently didn't have to be added to the Yankees' 40-man roster sooner than they wanted.

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

I think he even has one minor league option remaining* after this year, and that's part of his value - his stashability at AAA for this season and next. That would be of value to another team too, so maybe his trade value is a little higher still, because of this, than for a typical 4th outfielder like Robbie Grossman who is out of options. He won't bring back a difference-maker by himself, but should be more than a throw-in, for the right team.

He's valuable, so to answer your question, I'm not in a hurry to dispose of him. But I'd make him super-available, if that makes sense.

* Cave seemed to be injured soon after signing, and missed a couple of years before playing minor league ball in earnest, and I don't know the rostering rules well enough to know for sure that this is the reason he apparently didn't have to be added to the Yankees' 40-man roster sooner than they wanted.

Cave's option is really only valuable to a team that isn't selling MLB pieces, though. The Giants, for example, don't really care about Cave's options. The Phillies would, but they're not going to trade anyone that could help their MLB club soon.

#24 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,260 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Cave's option is really only valuable to a team that isn't selling MLB pieces, though. The Giants, for example, don't really care about Cave's options. The Phillies would, but they're not going to trade anyone that could help their MLB club soon.

A losing team that wants to try out a sequence of OF prospects might like the flexibility to send Cave down next year if 3 of them click.

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:21 AM

A losing team that wants to try out a sequence of OF prospects might like the flexibility to send Cave down next year if 3 of them click.

I think overwhelming they'd rather target the ones they think will click, rather give any preference to an older player with options. Cave will be 27 next year, if he can't even be a 4th OF on a rebuilding team, they may as well DFA him at that point anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jake cave, sean poppen, andro cutura, jordan balazovic, michael davis