Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 5, CLE 4: Max Power Against Bauer

minnesota twins max kepler jose berrios cleveland indians
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,518 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:46 AM

Trust:
Rogers

Mostly Trust:
Harper

Sometimes Trust:
Parker
May

Hasn't Given A Reason Not To Trust... Yet
Morin

Don't Trust But Has Actually Been Pretty Good So Far
Duffers

Don't Trust
Magill

Love your categories. Not sure I'd rank them identically, but good approach!
  • USAFChief and diehardtwinsfan like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#42 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 206 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:12 AM

The bullpen usage charts are great. A nice snapshot of who has been racking up the pitches and who might or might not be ableto pitch next game. Not that they are done here, but I also like the last week's worth of hitting stats to see who is hot or cold.

Edited by AceWrigley, 07 June 2019 - 10:12 AM.

• Tom Froemming and MN_ExPat like this

#43 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,654 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

Trust:

Rogers

Mostly Trust:

Harper

Sometimes Trust:

Parker

May

Morin

Duffers

Don't Trust

Magill

Personally, I'd move Duffey down to 

Wouldn't trust to hit water if he jumped out ofboat

With MaGill and Morin in whatever category comes after that.

• wabene likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#44 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,685 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

Trust:

Rogers

Mostly Trust:

Harper

Sometimes Trust:

Parker

May

Morin

Duffers

Don't Trust

Magill

This sums it up nicely for me.  I think up until the last game, I had May in that same category with Duffman.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#45 vavo

vavo

Elizabethton Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

FWIW, I often look at the win expectancy chart, particularly if I didn't see much of the game. It quickly gives a sense of the story arc of the game. I really have grown to appreciate these recaps. Thanks for all the hard work Tom, et. al.

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#46 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,518 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

I read the whole thing every time. Love these.

I always look at the WPA. I usually watch any highlights. I never watch the manager talk. I like the win expectancy chart. When the bullpen is being used a lot, I look at the chart, but maybe only once a week.
  • Tom Froemming likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#47 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

Only idea I have — in the links at the end of the article, how about including a link to that night’s Game Thread.*

That's a good suggestion. I was linking to those in the early goings but stopped and can't remember why.

The bullpen usage charts are great. A nice snapshot of who has been racking up the pitches and who might or might not be ableto pitch next game. Not that they are done here, but I also like the last week's worth of hitting stats to see who is hot or cold.

I might run that hot/cold idea by Nick to see if he'd be interested in including that somewhere in his Week in Review. That's a good one.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. Happy to hear a lot of you are looking at those win expectancy charts. We'll keep including them, glad I asked.

• MN_ExPat likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#48 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,341 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:16 AM

Concur with Chief on the Baldelli game recaps. Being an out-of-towner, I don't get to see these. Of course, I could search for them on my own, but this place is my one-stop, all things Twins, place, so ... love that these are included. And I like everything else. I'm not a charts/graph person, so sometimes I do just fly over them, but I do sometimes really look at them. It usually depends on how much of the game I've actually been able to see or not, as well as if we won or not. 

These recaps, along with the daily minor league recaps, are two of the most important aspects of the site ... if I were forced to choose just two. :)

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Monkeypaws and 2 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#49 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,821 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:47 AM

I'm considering making some changes to these game recaps and would love some feedback if anybody's interested in helping out with some market research :)

-Do you enjoy the win expectancy charts?

I think they're cool, but for a lot of games they don't add a whole lot of flavor. I get the sense that most readers just gloss right over them the majority of the time, so I'm thinking about ditching them.

-Is there any important information we're missing?

I have some ideas for small, simple things to add, but I'm curious if any of you have any ideas. Is there something you're constantly having to look up elsewhere that could easily be included in these?

Thanks for reading everybody, and thanks to Andrew and all the new writers for joining in on the fun. 

Also, Happy Anniversary! Two years ago today, I did my first game recap here. It was ... different :)

Having a link to the box scores on a consistent basis would be nice... but honestly, you've done a pretty fantastic job on these... Love the pen usage stuff.

• Tom Froemming and MN_ExPat like this

#50 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,821 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

I clicked into this article solely to see Kepler’s WPA last night.

only thing my colleagues said today was something along the lines of ****ing Kepler... and "never a good day when someone is getting compared to Ted Williams"...  

2nd time he's absolutely owned Cleveland in a game, though if I remember right, his actions in 2016 also carried over to some of the other games that series..

#51 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 675 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

Gotta say I love seeing an unapologetic misogynist like Bauer get knocked around.

#52 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,280 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

I like the win expectancy charts. They're cool looking.

• Tom Froemming likes this

#53 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 493 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 07 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

I'm considering making some changes to these game recaps and would love some feedback if anybody's interested in helping out with some market research :)

-Do you enjoy the win expectancy charts?
I think they're cool, but for a lot of games they don't add a whole lot of flavor. I get the sense that most readers just gloss right over them the majority of the time, so I'm thinking about ditching them.

-Is there any important information we're missing?
I have some ideas for small, simple things to add, but I'm curious if any of you have any ideas. Is there something you're constantly having to look up elsewhere that could easily be included in these?

Thanks for reading everybody, and thanks to Andrew and all the new writers for joining in on the fun. 

Also, Happy Anniversary! Two years ago today, I did my first game recap here. It was ... different :)

I’m with Chief... love the old old school feel of the box score:).

#54 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,821 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:26 PM

I’m with Chief... love the old old school feel of the box score:).

Just sayin, but I'm not Chief.

#55 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 25,009 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:47 PM

I like the WPA chart, for games I didn't get to watch. I can get a lot from a box score and a line score, and a 5-run fourth obviously will turn many a game - but sometimes a 0 in the linescore will contain a ton of drama, and WPA can show that. Instead of perusing an entire PbP recording, the chart tells me which part of the game to look at in detail.

• 70charger likes this

I'm not slurring my words, I'm talking in cursive.

#56 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 493 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

Just sayin, but I'm not Chief.

Ok, that really clears up a lot of things for me... waaaay confused ;)

I actually was citing Chief on that response, but my apologies for not seeing yours and not including you in the citation. :)

I shall now go and do penance by forcing myself to sing "Go Cubs Go" until my wife tells me to zip it and mutters to herself that she actually has three children and not two. 

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#57 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 25,009 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

she actually has three children and not two. 

I don't think I know you well enough to run with the funny, funny joke I have in mind. :)

• MN_ExPat likes this

I'm not slurring my words, I'm talking in cursive.

#58 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,821 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:40 AM

Ok, that really clears up a lot of things for me... waaaay confused ;)

I actually was citing Chief on that response, but my apologies for not seeing yours and not including you in the citation. :)

I shall now go and do penance by forcing myself to sing "Go Cubs Go" until my wife tells me to zip it and mutters to herself that she actually has three children and not two. 

oof.. go cubs go?  

If I'm doing self penance, I think I'd rather wear a hair shirt.

• MN_ExPat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, max kepler, jose berrios, cleveland indians