Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Pinto, Ibarra, Munoz

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

If this was reported elsewhere, I apologize...

According to Baseball America, the Twins have re-signed C Josmil Pinto and Ps Miguel Munoz and Edgar Ibarra. As I suspected here, all three were about to become Six-year Minor League Free Agents. Pinto will be a player that teams may discuss when the Rule V draft rolls around...

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Good stuff!! Munoz has been hurt the last couple of years but pitched alright at times. He was a starter who actually could hit 95 pre-injury. I like Ibarra, and he's left-handed. He's got four pitches and got to AA this year. And Pinto finally had a year to make it look like the E-Town year wasn't just an Appy League boost. Not sure he'd be taken or not, but we can at least be nervous around the Rule 5 draft.

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

I agree that I don't think Pinto will get taken, but is there a team out there (besides the Twins) that so often carries three catchers? If there is - especially in the American League - having a right-handed bench player with a little pop that plays a premium position (but maybe not well) might be worth a $50,000 risk.

I'm not too nervous anyway, especially since Butera will be signing his multi-year deal this winter. ;)

#4 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

I would imagine Pinto's rep's checked around to see if there were any interest in teams that would put him on the 40 man before resigning to a minor league deal.
If that happenned, I wouldnt think a team will take him in Rule V when they could've just had him straight up.

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Pinto is a year away from serious consideration for the Rule 5. I like him a lot, though, and a full year at AA will be interesting for him. Of course the Twins could promote him to AAA in mid-July like they normally do for solid performers, but . . . oh wait, they don't do that.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

Pinto might end up on the 40 man still. Too early to tell and there will be a lot of roster moves coming soon... Frankly at this point, he is more MLB-ready than Drew on both sides of the ball.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Pinto is a year away from serious consideration for the Rule 5. I like him a lot, though, and a full year at AA will be interesting for him. Of course the Twins could promote him to AAA in mid-July like they normally do for solid performers, but . . . oh wait, they don't do that.

sure you know how this works? if pinto hits well in the higher minors, he'd go straight to 40-man roster, if not the active 25. this is the one chance teams'll have to scoop him up with the rule V.

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Add Jhonathan Goncalves to the list of guys that won't hit the 6-year FA market this winter.

#9 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Some more minor-league re-signings to report: Deibinson Romero and Brian Dinkelman

#10 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

I'm happy about Pinto and Romero. The others are gravy, but I like those two a lot.

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Dinkelman is not worth resigning, but I would resign Romero.

And Pinto should be added to the 40-man. There is zero reason to not drop Butera from the 40-man roster and add a catcher who might have potential. No team in their right mind would claim Butera so he can go to Rochester.

#12 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Dinkelman is not worth resigning, but I would resign Romero.

And Pinto should be added to the 40-man. There is zero reason to not drop Butera from the 40-man roster and add a catcher who might have potential. No team in their right mind would claim Butera so he can go to Rochester.

And still be available if Gardenhire et al. so choses.

#13 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

I would imagine Pinto's rep's checked around to see if there were any interest in teams that would put him on the 40 man before resigning to a minor league deal.
If that happenned, I wouldnt think a team will take him in Rule V when they could've just had him straight up.

Can a player's rep contact other teams at this point?

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

1.) I would not be surprised at all if Butera was removed from the 40 man roster. I would also not be at all surprised if Butera was claimed by a team quickly.
2.)Pinto could not be a free agent until after the World Series, so officially his agent could only talk with the Twins... but it's quite likely he had some discussions with other teams to gauge interest. It's hard to imagine that he'd be selected in the Rule 5. He's not a great athlete. He's not known to be a good defensive catcher (although he throws out a good percentage of runners). Last year was the first year since the Appy League that he's hit at all. I think it's good to have him back next year, but I agree that he shouldn't have been put on the 40 man at this point.
3.) The one I'm most curious about is James Beresford. I'd really like the Twins to bring him back.