Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rosenthal: Kimbrel to the Cubs

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,305 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:41 PM

Three years, $43 million with an option for a 4th year. 

I'm good for sure with the Twins not doing that. 

why? What are they going to do with the money? Now they have to spend money and trade prospects. When, exactly, should this team go in, if not a year like this?

• USAFChief and gunnarthor like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,655 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

why? What are they going to do with the money? Now they have to spend money and trade prospects. When, exactly, should this team go in, if not a year like this?

$10 million this year? I think they could still add a couple of relievers via trade... 

The $16 million the next two years... I'd throw a bunch of money at Berrios, Rosario and Buxton. Those guys, plus Sano, Rogers and others will also still be arb eligible. Plus, they will need to either lock up guys like Gibson and Odorizzi, or sign starters for a similar amount. And they can sign more relievers too

Added: I don't care about the money... but I understand them standing pat and not giving a third year and a fourth year option. 

• James, SwainZag and DocBauer like this

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,598 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:30 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't buy "the Twins are cheap" on this one.

I would have been thrilled for a year plus an option. And the Twins could have afforded it. Truth be told, I love the Cubs as a very distant 2nd choice team to follow and hope they did right by themselves. We all know the volitive nature of a RP. But we also know the value of a great one. We've had more than a few ourselves. What has always bothered me is why did it take so long for someone to sign him? And this includes the Cubs now, who's offer baffles me. Despite some possibly unrealist demands, NOBODY, including the Cubs initially, thought he was worth losing a lottery draft choice to sign until now??

N.Y., N.Y., Boston, Phillie, Atlanta, CHC, LA, NO big market was willing to sign him until the Cubs did now.

Weird!

NOT wanting to re-hash old arguments. What happened, happened, and happened for a reason. But what this team needs is A] someone like May and Romero to step forward, B] make a trade for someone to stabilize and deepen the pen akin to the Pressly deal last year.

How about we trade depth to bring someone, or a couple someone's in, with the depth we have who can make a difference.
  • Dman likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 128 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:37 AM

I really wanted them to spend the money for Kimbrel so they could spend the prospects for a top of the rotation trade.Probably a pipe dream but I want them to go all in on this year.  

I would go hard at a trade for Giles now, I prefer him to Kimbrel in a vaccum but he will cost prospects. 

I doubt they add an ace if also trading for back of the pen guy. I would sign Keuchel or go after Bumgarner now.

To actually contend in the playoffs, not just make an appearance, they need to upgrade the pitching staff with major pieces.A big, preferably RH, bullpen ace/ closer is needed period.Realistically a setup guy and loogy are missing as well.A 2/3 starter is also needed if they aren't going to pay to get an ace.Gibson/ Perez can and should be upgraded upon.  

Edited by RaoulDuke, 06 June 2019 - 12:59 AM.

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

$10 million this year? I think they could still add a couple of relievers via trade... 

The $16 million the next two years... I'd throw a bunch of money at Berrios, Rosario and Buxton. Those guys, plus Sano, Rogers and others will also still be arb eligible. Plus, they will need to either lock up guys like Gibson and Odorizzi, or sign starters for a similar amount. And they can sign more relievers too

Added: I don't care about the money... but I understand them standing pat and not giving a third year and a fourth year option. 

So...you DO care about the money.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

I better not see one single person whining about the prospect cost of getting a couple relievers, none of which are likely to be as good as Kimbrel.

• Mike Sixel, James, Bob Sacamento and 2 others like this

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,112 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:57 AM

Why would the Cubs sign Kimbrel, then turn around and sell on Morrow?

Because they are the Cubs...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

Because they are the Cubs...

You mean the Cubs who have won 95, 92, 103, and 97 games over the past four seasons? Who won a World Series?

Those Cubs?

• Mike Sixel, Bob Sacamento and Marzen 2018 like this

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,655 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

So...you DO care about the money.

I care only to the point that I fully understand that and why it matters to the organization. It doesn't affect me in any way what the payroll number is. I know I much prefer watching a team that wins than a team that doesn't.But them missing out on Kimbrel will have zero affect on my life or my enjoyment watching this team play. 

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,634 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:44 AM

It cements the idea that Twins ownership would rather make money with a mediocre team than win and lose money. Sucks, but it's reality.

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,305 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

And next year, they'll need to spend money on relievers, because no one is stopping up in the minors. Or, they could punt the bullpen again.

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,655 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:07 AM

And next year, they'll need to spend money on relievers, because no one is stopping up in the minors. Or, they could punt the bullpen again.

I included relievers in my "things the Twins will need to spend money on in 2020 and 2021" comment.

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,305 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

I included relievers in my "things the Twins will need to spend money on in 2020 and 2021" comment.

You did, but then you said they needed to not spend money to extend players.......so I'm not sure how that works.

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

It cements the idea that Twins ownership would rather make money with a mediocre team than win and lose money. Sucks, but it's reality.

Which franchises are not run like a business?
  • James likes this

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,305 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:07 AM

None, I'd guess, now that the Detroit owner is dead.....but you can choose to make more or less money.....I think Vanimal's point is clear. From the outside, it appears that making more money is more important than making more wins.

Which is fine, but also raises the question, why should we give them our money if they don't want to win as much as we want them to? Among a lot of other questions about fandom vs ownership, that probably aren't a good segue in this thread....

#36 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

This offseason, for $16M, the team could sign Will Smith, Steve Cishek, and Hector Rondon...or they could have Craig Kimbrel, who is not sure to be healthy.

Pretty sure I know where the money is better spent, but names are big deals so some...

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,634 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

What Mike said... For me, sports are entertainment. Obviously billionaires remain that way by making money in their ventures. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Spending another $10-15 million over a couple of years isn't going to cripple the Pohlads financially.

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,100 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

This offseason, for $16M, the team could sign Will Smith, Steve Cishek, and Hector Rondon...or they could have Craig Kimbrel, who is not sure to be healthy.

Pretty sure I know where the money is better spent, but names are big deals so some...

How is that related to the 2019 Twins?

I

#39 spycake

spycake

• 16,556 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:22 PM

This offseason, for $16M, the team could sign Will Smith, Steve Cishek, and Hector Rondon

All three? And for how many years?

And what are the odds they actually do that?

#40 spycake

spycake

• 16,556 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

Brandon Morrow is about a month away from returning and with about $4.5M left in his contract.Great opportunity for the Twins to jump the gun and go get him from the Cubs.

Why would the Cubs sign Kimbrel, then turn around and sell on Morrow?

I guess they could deal Morrow to shave some money off their luxury tax payroll after adding Kimbrel. Kind of like how the Dodgers needed to send Forsythe back in the Dozier deal? But I don't know the particulars of their situation.