Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Miguel Sano: A Fading Superstar

miguel sano eddie rosario carlos correa francisco lindor
  • Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,620 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:28 PM

I think to be fair to Cody, the chances of Sano being a superstar have faded. A lot.

• Danchat, Sconnie, KGB and 6 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#22 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

Miguel Sano before tonight's (Wednesday) game;

1.009 OPS, .406 wOBA, 156 wRC+.Not only is his offense seen as above average thus far this season, so is his defense AND baserunning.He's accumulated 0.8 WAR in only 14 games--in a 154 game season, that's a 9 WAR season.Sure he strikes out a lot, but he also has nearly a 50% hard hit rate, and only a 6.5% soft hit rate--in other words, the 65% of the time he makes contact, it's medium contact or better 9 times out of 10.

This piece smacks of something the writer threw together on the heels of Monday's 0-3 with a strikeout, without any manner of research whatsoever.I'm not sure how else a piece running Sano down could be posted.

• Thrylos, gunnarthor, TheLeviathan and 6 others like this

#23 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:50 PM

Parker might be a bigger concern than Sano...just maybe.

• gunnarthor, h2oface, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:58 PM

Miguel Sano before tonight's (Wednesday) game;

1.009 OPS, .406 wOBA, 156 wRC+.Not only is his offense seen as above average thus far this season, so is his defense AND baserunning.He's accumulated 0.8 WAR in only 14 games--in a 154 game season, that's a 9 WAR season.Sure he strikes out a lot, but he also has nearly a 50% hard hit rate, and only a 6.5% soft hit rate--in other words, the 65% of the time he makes contact, it's medium contact or better 9 times out of 10.

This piece smacks of something the writer threw together on the heels of Monday's 0-3 with a strikeout, without any manner of research whatsoever.I'm not sure how else a piece running Sano down could be posted.

What strikes me is how good he could be by the end of 2019 once he settles in, gets to something close to 2,000 ML AB, and carries over to 2020.

It is totally unfair to compare Sano to Buxton, Polanco and Kepler, who are of similar or exact age and came in to the season 100%. Every player is a unique individual unto themselves. But it is also grossly unfair to compare any of the young Twins, including Sano, to the amazing and generational talents of guys like Trout and Harper, or Machado.

Every few years there are a couple of guys, pitchers or position players, that defy odds and are All Stars and generational talents in their early 20's. 30 teams and a couple of guys every year or so who are that kjnd of talent. Mauer was our last one. Potentially, Kiriloff and Lewis could BOTH be mentioned in that vein. Sometimes, even the very best pitchers and position players don't hit their stride until 26, 27yo. Our own Cruz didn't hit his stride early. Someone mentioned Ortiz earlier as well. Depending on your age, how many top of the rotation SP have you seen that became #1's about 28-29yo?

Can we just let this lie for a bit, maybe a couple months at least, and see how the rest of the season plays out? Like Buxton, Polanco and Kepler this season, can we wait until Sano is 100% for 2020 with the development he shows in 2019?
  • gunnarthor, Doomtints, Nine of twelve and 1 other like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:25 PM

What strikes me is how good he could be by the end of 2019 once he settles in, gets to something close to 2,000 ML AB, and carries over to 2020.

It is totally unfair to compare Sano to Buxton, Polanco and Kepler, who are of similar or exact age and came in to the season 100%. Every player is a unique individual unto themselves. But it is also grossly unfair to compare any of the young Twins, including Sano, to the amazing and generational talents of guys like Trout and Harper, or Machado.

Every few years there are a couple of guys, pitchers or position players, that defy odds and are All Stars and generational talents in their early 20's. 30 teams and a couple of guys every year or so who are that kjnd of talent. Mauer was our last one. Potentially, Kiriloff and Lewis could BOTH be mentioned in that vein. Sometimes, even the very best pitchers and position players don't hit their stride until 26, 27yo. Our own Cruz didn't hit his stride early. Someone mentioned Ortiz earlier as well. Depending on your age, how many top of the rotation SP have you seen that became #1's about 28-29yo?

Can we just let this lie for a bit, maybe a couple months at least, and see how the rest of the season plays out? Like Buxton, Polanco and Kepler this season, can we wait until Sano is 100% for 2020 with the development he shows in 2019?

Good point!!

No need to throw him under the bus, but no need to call him 'all world' just yet. Let's just see what transpires--the sample for this year is still miniscule.

• LA VIkes Fan and Doomtints like this

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,158 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:29 AM

No offense to Cody, but this article really feels like trolling, and judging by the comments, I'd say that most of the readers here agree.

Let's start with the idea that Sano was a star... when exactly? He had a promising rookie season, but that does not qualify one for being a star. You actually have to perform and do so consistently. Sano hasn't done that. 

I think we are a bit unfair when we drop labels like that on players like Sano and Buxton. Yeah, I get high expectations. We had them for both players. But neither have lived up to them... And in Sano's case, the dude has an OPS around 1.000 in a SSS. Yeah, that K rate needs to come down a bit. No one is arguing that, but he's produced quite well thus far, especially when you factor in how little time he had to warm up.

• glunn, Thrylos, nicksaviking and 5 others like this

#27 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:58 AM

I honestly thought this was a sarcastic headline espousing solid early returns for Sano on his return to the Twins with his 1.000+OPS. I was sadly mistaken.

Based on the headline, I legitimately chuckled and opened the article thinking it was a Randball Stu special.

Local Fan Surprised by Non-Satire

• Carole Keller, luckylager, glunn and 7 others like this

#28 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:27 AM

This is ungood content.

Edited by prouster, 06 June 2019 - 07:28 AM.

• Thrylos, gunnarthor and Devereaux like this

#29 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:36 AM

Wonder where we will stop hearing about Sano being a criminal after he was cleared of all accusations.  

Guess the haters will never stop hating.

Sano was cleared of all accusations? When? By whom?

• jctwins, Sconnie and ChrisKnutson like this

#30 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

Not even a mention of the injury that ended his all star season. He is still recovering from the fallout of that metal rod in his leg and the long inactive recovery period.

Not a mention of the injury that cost him the beginning of this season.

Then the blog brushes aside his strong season line of .250/.348/.625 as if it is only decent and he is in decline. His stat line is currently better than his career line and his all star 2017 season.

I guess some people just want to write him off. He is performing extremely well and I don't think we have seen his best yet.

• Thrylos, gunnarthor, Devereaux and 1 other like this

#31 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

I think the point here is that if a player is going to be a superstar, you usually know it by his age 26 season. Which is...probably unfair?

Joe Mauer had 2 batting titles, 2 all-stars, and a gold glove before embarking on his best season as a pro in his age 26.

But Kirby Puckett didn't have his first all-star appearance until his age 26 season, which launched him into stardom.

Carew was RoY and an all-star at 21, but didn't really start his run of greatness until the age 26 season, before peaking at 31 with the MVP year.

Now these are all HoF type players (2 are in and one will at least get a very long look in 5 years), so is that the comp to make for superstar?

Or is it more like Torii Hunter? Who was a great player for a long time, a deserving all-star, but seems almost certain to fall short of induction (lots of very good years, a few great years, no MVP seasons).

26 gets you into the prime years, where a player is almost certainly going to be at their best (absent *ahem* chemical assistance), so i think it's fair to say that the time is now for Sano. He's got to stay healthy and produce on the field. But he's certainly been productive this season, and while we're still in SSS territory the pace he's on would put him up with any of the top sluggers in the league.

It's premature to call him "fading".

It's fair to wonder if he can stay on the field enough to truly be a superstar; he's never played 120 games in a season and he's not going to play 120 games this season either. That's really the only barrier I see for sano to not be a superstar.

#32 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

I think to be fair to Cody, the chances of Sano being a superstar have faded. A lot.

Fair. But at the least a bad headline/theme, here. I would buy lowered expectations (which isn't unique to Sano)...but not a narrative where his career arc is fading. He's not at any point yet established super-stardom and he might never. But he might be extremely useful...and he's doing fine for now. We'll see.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief and ChrisKnutson like this

#33 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

So does "fading superstar" mean he's going to be "only a star"? If so I think we all can live with that.

• Carole Keller, Craig Arko and Doomtints like this

#34 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• Members
  • 8,654 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

I’d submit just putting a question mark at the end of the headline could have mitigated some of the problems here. Maybe TD authors can learn from this.
  • Carole Keller and Nine of twelve like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#35 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

Fair. But at the least a bad headline/theme, here. I would buy lowered expectations (which isn't unique to Sano)...but not a narrative where his career arc is fading. He's not at any point yet established super-stardom and he might never. But he might be extremely useful...and he's doing fine for now. We'll see.

I don't think it's fair at all.This is clickbait and TD is normally above that.

• Thrylos, PseudoSABR, crapforks and 2 others like this

#36 Devereaux

Devereaux

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:14 AM

How was Miguel Sano ever a superstar? And how is this line anything but self-exposing baloney? "The age issue hasn’t been brought up in recent years and that’s probably a good thing for Twins Territory." Do you still think he's going to be deported as a terrorist?

#37 99mnlife

99mnlife

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

I think his star is fading fast. Here are the reasons for my opion. He is solely a mistake pitch hitter. He can hit a 450 foot home run on a breaking pitch that doesnt break. If it breaks he swings through it and if it's a good breaking pitch he flails at it and misses it by a foot.

He is not good defensively. Not sure why people say that on here. Look at last night... cost us the game and cost Perez an early exit. He does not look comfortable at third.

He also makes tons of baserunning mistakes. So say he is healthy all season he will hit 40 Homer's and strike out 280 to 320 times.... so with so small a chance of contact hit and runs or moving the runner over is not an option.

To me he should be platooned and used as a punch hitter with pitchers with no breaking pitches in their arsenal. Unless he gets better at pitch selection and learns to hit a breaking pitch or atleast make contact with them to foul them off.

If someone offered a deal where it was mid level prospects and sano part of the deal for a good pitcher we would have for some years I'd be all for it.

Could he figure it out somehow? Yes. Look at Buxton. But then again Sano upside is not even a third of Buxton's upside.

#38 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:06 PM

I think calling him "fading" is a bit extreme. I do think it's fair to ask if Sano is going to be a player we can build around or a complimentary player who is part of the "build around" of another 2 or 3 guys. I think we all hoped that he would be a centerpiece. It's too early to reach a definitive conclusion but it IS fair to think that he might never be the centerpiece but will be one of the good quality players that can be put around the centerpiece. In Sano's case, he may be the power hitting yet strikeout prone number 5 or 6 hitter.Great guy to have, but not a guy that can hit 2, 3 or 4 in the order. 

Sano's not alone. Kepler is also looking like a complimentary player at this point. Kepler's the smooth fielding streaky hitting guy who can (and Should) hit 6 or 7 in a good lineup. He is NOT a lead off hitter or a guy who should get 650 plate appearances. Buxton looks like an elite CF who hits some but not enough to hit in the top 5 spots unless he improves his walk rate and OPS so he can lead off. Gibson is not a #1, but looks like a very good #3 and solid #2. I could go on with more. 

The good news is we have now got 4 centerpiece type players we CAN build around for the next 4-5 years - Polanco, Rosario, Berrios and Rogers. We still need one more in each category - one more hitter (Garver or Schoop maybe?) , one more SP (Don't see him around, Smeltzer looks like a 3/4, great to have but another complimentary player), and one more RP (we ain't got that). 

Bottom line, Sano is fine and doing pretty well. Is he going to be the perennial All-Star we had hoped for? Doesn't look like it but he's still and asset and one we need to keep.  

#39 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

The days of platoon players are pretty much over in this era of 12-13 man pitching staffs. Even when rosters go to 26 next year, there are still only going to be 4 (occasionally 5) bench players.

#40 99mnlife

99mnlife

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:23 PM

Guys 1.000 ops with 60 or so at bats is nice but if you think he will have a 1.000 ops after 400 plate appearances I have a six figure wager for you!

Hard hit percentage means how much when the majority of the time there is absolutely no contact made? Factor in all them swings and misses the % swing is probably on the bottom 10% of baseball. Until he learns to hit a good slider he is a incomplete player with gaping holes that can easily be exploited. Come playoff time sano comes up late in a game what happens? They bring in a pitcher with a nasty slider and he may as well close his eyes and swing as hard as he can.
  • shimrod and Sconnie like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, eddie rosario, carlos correa, francisco lindor