Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MLB Draft Day 3 Thread

mlb draft minnesota twins keoni cavaco
  • Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:25 AM

I spoke to soon!!! Antoine Jean a 17 year old high school pitcher!!! :)
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#42 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

Jean 6'2" 165
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#43 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

Jean 6'2" 165

Get that kid in a weight training program
  • nytwinsfan and operation mindcrime like this

#44 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

so we now have 5 infielders, 10 RHP, 2 LHP, and one OF. No 1B/DH types, no Catchers, and no CF.

#45 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

And 17 of the 19 have no choice but to sign because they can't go back to college....

#46 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:35 AM

Julien, Edouard
Auburn (AL)
2B
S/R
4YR JR
6' 2 195lbs
DOB:04/30/99

#47 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Hey lookie, a HS pitcher and Canadian to boot.

How aboot that!

• nytwinsfan, d-mac and operation mindcrime like this

#48 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,967 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

Julien, Edouard
Auburn (AL)
2B
S/R
4YR JR
6' 2 195lbs

MLB.com writeup on Julien.Also noted, ranked 177th on their rankings..

After starring on Canada's junior national team, Julien spurned the Phillies as a 37th-round choice in 2017 in order to attend Auburn. He slammed 17 homers and broke the school's freshman RBI record held by Frank Thomas with 69 last spring. Though he's just a 20-year-old sophomore, MLB ruled him eligible for the 2019 Draft in March after deciding that his year at a Canadian secondary school was equivalent to a year in college. Julien is geared to hit for power and offers more than most left-handed college hitters in this year's class. His considerable strength and a stroke that features plenty of bat speed and loft combine to give him the ability to drive the ball out of any part of the ballpark. He draws a lot of walks because opponents are reluctant to challenge him, though there's also a lot of swing and miss in his game because he's so aggressive and will expand his strike zone. While Julien could stand to moderate his offensive approach, finding him a defensive home is a greater concern. After playing right field and second base as a freshman, he has looked shaky at third base this spring. With below-average speed, fringy arm strength and rough infield actions, he's likely destined for left field or first base.

• goulik, Dman and nytwinsfan like this

#49 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

Julien, Edouard
Auburn (AL)
2B
S/R
4YR JR
6' 2 195lbs

Ranked 177 and drops to the 18th .... huh ... No risk, but huh

#50 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

I wonder if he's related to Claude? :)

#51 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Two Gophers now for the Phillies

#52 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:46 AM

The Giants like their pagans.

#53 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:46 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I only see that they have grabbed one college senior so far. The juniors drafted early could go back to school and try luck next year.

Two so far, Gross is a 5th-year red-shirt senior.I don't think they've saved all that much money.Cavaco could probably be a bit under and some of the college juniors too, but I think they'll mostly sign near slot.

• Dman likes this

#54 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

A three round Canuck run .... Everyone must be at lunch and Morneau is making all the picks.

• birdwatcher, PseudoSABR, Dman and 7 others like this

#55 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

And 17 of the 19 have no choice but to sign because they can't go back to college....

I believe all the 4year jr's can go back.I think 4 year just stands for college not how many years attended.If you look at the board you notice there are no 3 year juniors and there should be some if that is how they are marking it.There are some 4 yr sophomore's and some 5 yr seniors but that is just letting us know that they are younger or older.

Edited by Dman, 05 June 2019 - 11:51 AM.

• goulik and rdehring like this

#56 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,646 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

pretty sure the college juniors can go back. baseball rules are a bit different than football for whatever reason. 

#57 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

MLB.com writeup on Julien.Also noted, ranked 177th on their rankings..

After starring on Canada's junior national team, Julien spurned the Phillies as a 37th-round choice in 2017 in order to attend Auburn. He slammed 17 homers and broke the school's freshman RBI record held by Frank Thomas with 69 last spring. Though he's just a 20-year-old sophomore, MLB ruled him eligible for the 2019 Draft in March after deciding that his year at a Canadian secondary school was equivalent to a year in college. Julien is geared to hit for power and offers more than most left-handed college hitters in this year's class. His considerable strength and a stroke that features plenty of bat speed and loft combine to give him the ability to drive the ball out of any part of the ballpark. He draws a lot of walks because opponents are reluctant to challenge him, though there's also a lot of swing and miss in his game because he's so aggressive and will expand his strike zone. While Julien could stand to moderate his offensive approach, finding him a defensive home is a greater concern. After playing right field and second base as a freshman, he has looked shaky at third base this spring. With below-average speed, fringy arm strength and rough infield actions, he's likely destined for left field or first base.

He's listed as a 2B.... Interesting

#58 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

Two so far, Gross is a 5th-year red-shirt senior.I don't think they've saved all that much money.Cavaco could probably be a bit under and some of the college juniors too, but I think they'll mostly sign near slot.

Yeah I agree I don't think they will get those guys to sign much under slot and some may need to go higher.We'll see how that all shakes out.

#59 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,646 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:54 AM

Ranked 177 and drops to the 18th .... huh ... No risk, but huh

It's probably more of a testimony on how uninformed the national pundits are when it comes to ranking.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

#60 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

Hey lookie, a HS pitcher and Canadian to boot.

A rare throws left, bats right combo too.Not that he's likely to ever hit as a pro.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft, minnesota twins, keoni cavaco