Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: CLE 5, MIN 2: Twins Can’t Figure Out Bieber, Lindor Lifts Cleveland

devin smeltzer marwin gonzalez eddie rosario francisco lindor
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,813 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:46 AM

I missed Smeltzer's first start, but saw most of the game last night. I think he's showed enough to be first in line when there's a starting vacancy (rainouts, injuries), but with less than dominating stuff, he needs to have good command and keep ahead of counts. Smeltzer isn't going to give up four homers every start, buthe's a far better pitcher when he's pounding the strike zone.

From what i've seen of him he doesn't have the "heat" to blow hitters away with his fastball so that means pin point accuracy, deceptive delivery and good offspeed stuff to compensate and get guys out multiple times through the order. Not really sure he's got enough to be a starter in the major leagues but time will tell.

#42 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,805 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

Completely off-topic: I got a chance to watch the Yomiuri Giants and the Rakuten Eagles for the last three innings tonight. Our old 'friend' Alan Busenitz came in to try to hang on to a 2-1 lead in the eighth inning. After recording one out, he had a tough luck inning started by ground ball single between 1st and 2nd. Then, he got another ball chopped to the left of the mound, which he tried to glove--a mistake--it hit off the end of his glove and carommed into right field (it would have been a pretty easy doubleplay if he hadn't tried to stab it). Runners were at the corners. The next hitter grounded the ball in the hole but the shortstop fielded it nicely. It also looked like it was going to be a doubleplay, but the shortstop's plant foot slipped on the damp grass and his throw pulled the 2nd baseman off the bag. Tying run scored. The next batter grounded into the inning ending doubleplay.

He ended up getting the win, however, as Rakuten rallied for two runs in the bottom of the eighth.

Just thought I'd let the faithful know how one of their own is doing. He's been quite a good pitcher for the Eagles and looked sharp despite giving up the tying run.

Sorry for the long post.

"damp grass"? Honestly I had no idea they had outdoor baseball in Japan. Every single highlight I've ever seen in my entire life has been from inside a dome.

#43 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,259 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:20 AM

From what i've seen of him he doesn't have the "heat" to blow hitters away with his fastball so that means pin point accuracy, deceptive delivery and good offspeed stuff to compensate and get guys out multiple times through the order. Not really sure he's got enough to be a starter in the major leagues but time will tell.

yeah, he's not going to pitch much in the mid-90s... he does seem to get the Ks though... at least in small samples. 

#44 joefish

joefish

• 107 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

Yesterday we sucked. Kepler looked helpless. Cruz looked as bad as he did before the IL stint. The offense was offensive. Everybody. That should be a rarity for this lineup against a mediocre pitcher like Cy Bieber.

#45 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,413 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

Yesterday we sucked. Kepler looked helpless. Cruz looked as bad as he did before the IL stint. The offense was offensive. Everybody. That should be a rarity for this lineup against a mediocre pitcher like Cy Bieber.

Bieber is a good pitcher and definitely not mediocre. He's arguably Cleveland's best pitcher. Just gotta tip your cap to them and say they pitched better than we did.

#46 Monticore

Monticore

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 86 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:19 PM

Knew when he walked the #9 hitter he didn't have it.

#47 Jham

Jham

• 2,147 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:43 PM

Wow, we sure turned on Smeltzer didn't we? Last time we couldn't believe he got pulled so quickly and now he's no good and got left in for way too long. Very much a "what have you done for me lately" crowd. He got beat by Lindor twice, that will happen, the guy was a Top 10 MVP candidate the last 3 years. Smeltzer wasn't great, but you aren't going to win many ballgames scoring 2 runs on 5 hits. Let's get um today.

I'm not sure anyone turned on him. I think maybe some turned on Baldelli. I was surprised he came ot for the 7th. He had walked a guy on 4 pitches as I recall, in the 6th before getting a double play. A bounce off his emotional debut was expected and he pitched pretty well to keep us in it without his best stuff. The rest of the team including the manager did him no favors, imo.

#48 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,084 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:48 PM

Apparently Carrasco won’t be starting tonight’s game as he’s been diagnosed with a “blood condition”. The Indians are out of starters with so many injured now...

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#49 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:13 PM

Isn't that the profile of 3/4 of starters?

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#50 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 564 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:48 PM

Completely off-topic: I got a chance to watch the Yomiuri Giants and the Rakuten Eagles for the last three innings tonight. Our old 'friend' Alan Busenitz came in to try to hang on to a 2-1 lead in the eighth inning. After recording one out, he had a tough luck inning started by ground ball single between 1st and 2nd. Then, he got another ball chopped to the left of the mound, which he tried to glove--a mistake--it hit off the end of his glove and carommed into right field (it would have been a pretty easy doubleplay if he hadn't tried to stab it). Runners were at the corners. The next hitter grounded the ball in the hole but the shortstop fielded it nicely. It also looked like it was going to be a doubleplay, but the shortstop's plant foot slipped on the damp grass and his throw pulled the 2nd baseman off the bag. Tying run scored. The next batter grounded into the inning ending doubleplay.
He ended up getting the win, however, as Rakuten rallied for two runs in the bottom of the eighth.
Just thought I'd let the faithful know how one of their own is doing. He's been quite a good pitcher for the Eagles and looked sharp despite giving up the tying run.
Sorry for the long post.

Really wish he would’ve stayed because I definitely could’ve seen Buze benefiting from working with Wes. Who knows, perhaps he’ll return next season.

#51 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 584 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:08 PM

"damp grass"? Honestly I had no idea they had outdoor baseball in Japan. Every single highlight I've ever seen in my entire life has been from inside a dome.

Actually, there are plenty of outdoor stadiums and some of them have no infield grass (like the Hanshin Tigers' home field in Osaka--affectionately known as 'Koshien' which brings to mind (for Japanese folks) the spring/summer high school baseball tournaments which are held there--an interesting phenomenon because the Tigers are forced to play away games for the entire tournament every year, so the professional team has to take a backseat to the high schoolers!!). All of the teams also play a percentage of the their games outside of their home stadiums--maybe like four or six series per year. Specifically, they go to smaller urban areas to play some of their games. Some of those stadiums are really not that great. Last year, I went to one game of a three game series featuring the Yomiuri Giants and the Chunichi Dragons. They played at a local stadium about 10 kilometers from where I live. I wouldn't say the field was terrible, but there was no infield grass and the grass in the outfield became extremely slippery over the length of the game (a couple of players slipped). We left early because it was quite a cold evening and the Giants were clobbering the Dragons. I think the score was something like 19-3 in the sixth inning, so there was no reason to stay and freeze to death (and suffer additional humiliation).

• bighat likes this

#52 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 385 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:26 AM

Cruz looked rusty.He might have some additional rough ABs in the next couple of games, dude's been out a month. The good news is that he's back! In the long run his presence is a huge plus for this team. I think we need to temper expectations on Garver a bit. He was on a hot streak that was simply unsustainable.

true that but i definitely like the progress Garver is showing

Edited by Channing1964, 10 June 2019 - 03:29 AM.

• bighat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: devin smeltzer, marwin gonzalez, eddie rosario, francisco lindor