Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: CLE 5, MIN 2: Twins Can’t Figure Out Bieber, Lindor Lifts Cleveland

devin smeltzer marwin gonzalez eddie rosario francisco lindor
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:28 AM

Smelly pitched well in this start, but the reality for a pitcher with less than overpowering stuff is that they are often vulnerable the third time through the order. He obviously needed more run support, he also may need to adjust his pitch selection and location as he faces hitters a third and fourth time. 

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#22 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:30 AM

Wait, Pineda is better than Smeltzer right? Smeltzer = Tommy Milone? Am I missing something?

Hahaahaaaa no.. no way...Milone has more experience....at throwing batting practice....lol What i meant was....before long we gonna see the need for a more consistent #5 starter.(like maybe Bumgarner or Greinke)
  • Jham likes this

#23 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,536 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

Cruz looked rusty.He might have some additional rough ABs in the next couple of games, dude's been out a month. The good news is that he's back! In the long run his presence is a huge plus for this team. I think we need to temper expectations on Garver a bit. He was on a hot streak that was simply unsustainable.

• Tomj14 and Original Whizzinator like this

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,716 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

I'm not sure about that. He hadn't even thrown 80 pitches at that point. Game was tight and well, you know all about our pen. I think the decision was justifiable.

I thought it was a mistake to send Smeltzer out for the 7th. First of all, he's not that good. But mostly, he didn't have good command all night. He wasnt hitting his spots, and also left too many pitches in the middle of the plate.

It wasnt surprising to me the 7th was ugly.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:52 AM

I'm not sure about that. He hadn't even thrown 80 pitches at that point. Game was tight and well, you know all about our pen. I think the decision was justifiable. 

Pitch count shouldn't even come into play there.My take is that he was a rookie on the road who just got through an inning after a four pitch walk.He got the ground ball to get the double play.Let him leave with another quality start and a positive ending to his outing.Baldelli was already concerned regardless of the pitch count, or he wouldn't have started warming up Harper.I won't disagree that the decision was justifiable, but I still don't think it was the correct decision.

Smeltzer's FIP was 12.11 yesterday.That doesn't really give your team a chance. 

#26 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

Smeltzer did a good job.

Pretty low bar .... Hildenberger called and wonders why he can't get his job back

#27 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:57 AM

Yesterday was Tuesday, June 4 and it was the 59th game of the year.The Twins are now 36%of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 46th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 305 home runs this season.

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,180 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

Cruz looked rusty.He might have some additional rough ABs in the next couple of games, dude's been out a month. The good news is that he's back! In the long run his presence is a huge plus for this team. I think we need to temper expectations on Garver a bit. He was on a hot streak that was simply unsustainable.

Cruz and Garver both. Sano too, though in his case the return was a bit more need based...

Either way, I think both Cruz and Garver could have used a bit more time rehabbing. No need to play in the field for either, just get their timing back...Given how well the team has hit, I'm a bit surprised that both had very short stints in the minors recovering their timing.

I just wonder how today's game would have went if it had been Castro and Cron in their place. 

#29 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

Pretty low bar .... Hildenberger called and wonders why he can't get his job back

The two of them pitched the same number of innings in a Twins uniform this year. One has an ERA+ of 125. The other 54.

You know better than to pick up the phone when Hildenberger calls.

It's not unusual for rookie starters to be susceptible to the long ball in their first few games. Smeltzer did a good job and showed a lot of promise. He will be back.

Edited by Doomtints, 05 June 2019 - 08:17 AM.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,180 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

I thought it was a mistake to send Smeltzer out for the 7th. First of all, he's not that good. But mostly, he didn't have good command all night. He wasnt hitting his spots, and also left too many pitches in the middle of the plate.

It wasnt surprising to me the 7th was ugly.

Except for the first inning, he didn't have too much problems hitting his spots, and as I mentioned before, they had 3 infielders on the left side of the infield and had him pitching inside to Cleveland's righty heavy lineup. That first inning he went through 20+ pitches and threw more balls the strikes. After that, he settled down and was very efficient...

So no, I don't think it was a bad call to leave him in. And let's not forget just how bad our pen has been. A shorter leash, perhaps.. but he wasn't showing sigs of slowing down. 

• bighat likes this

#31 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

Well, a new pitcher is reminded that you don't walk the #9 hitter with a .200 average. He had a tough first inning, and a gem of the run for the rest of the game, until the 7th. Maybe pushing him one too many with a well-rested bullpen and people like Duffey able to pitch multiple innings. Tough loss. But you do have to lose occasionally. Good for the rookie, but probably not enough to keep him from going back to the minors when Pineda returns. 

True, rosterman.But in all fairness to Smeltzer, it looked to me like ball 4 to the #9 hitter was clearly a strike. I generally don't complain about umpiring because it tends to even out over the course of a game,but I thought the plate ump was giving Bieber strike calls all night on balls outside the zone, and didn't reciprocate for Devin.  

All in all I was quite impressed with our young pitcher.Yes, he doesn't have big league velocity on his fastball, but the sharp angle of his breaking ball makes it extremely difficult to hit (and frankly, sometimes difficult for an umpire to assess whether it's a strike as it crosses the zone).I think he has a bright future.  

#32 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

But in all fairness to Smeltzer, it looked to me like ball 4 to the #9 hitter was clearly a strike.  

Concur ... Garver setting up in pipeshot territory on the next pitch didn't help either.

#33 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

almost all of it, interestingly enough, was from the first inning where he threw about 20 pitches and more balls than strikes. They had the shift on the entire inning and he was asked to pepper the inside only,

I could only tune in to MLB.com after the game had been tied. I was quite surprised he was still in for the 7th inning myself. Five hitter...too bad they were all homers.

Edited by Aerodeliria, 05 June 2019 - 08:27 AM.

#34 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:30 AM

Wait, Pineda is better than Smeltzer right? Smeltzer = Tommy Milone? Am I missing something?

Milone was 47-38 in his career with a 4.41 ERA.Not Cy Young but his career average ERA is better than 9 of the pitchers the Twins have put out there this year.Milone gave up 4.5 runs a game and the Twins score almost 6 runs a game. The math doesn't work out so bad for a 5th starter.  

• Jham and PDX Twin like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#35 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:38 AM

I'm not too concerned with the pitching, this is a chance to see what our depth looks like should we need to use internal options to replace injured/ineffective starters.I'm not even concerned about the offense for the rest of the season.

What I am concerned about with the offense is a potential vulnerability based on it's philosophy.The 2019 Twins are like a boxer who has a huge uppercut, and therefore becomes a knockout artist.If the punches are landing, and usually they are, you're going to be unbeatable.But if you face someone who never gives you that opening, what's the fall back?

Last night, Bieber was at 36 pitches through 2 innings, and 67 through 4.He somehow pitched into the 8th.In the first game of a series, getting to the bullpen is a good thing.I would have liked to see a more patient approach in innings 5 and 6 on a guy who was at 60% strikes on the night

#36 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Twins Mods
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

Wow, we sure turned on Smeltzer didn't we?Last time we couldn't believe he got pulled so quickly and now he's no good and got left in for way too long.Very much a "what have you done for me lately" crowd.He got beat by Lindor twice, that will happen, the guy was a Top 10 MVP candidate the last 3 years.Smeltzer wasn't great, but you aren't going to win many ballgames scoring 2 runs on 5 hits.Let's get um today.

• Tomj14 and bighat like this

#37 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

felt like Smeltzer was getting squeezed a bit early by the home plate umpire; he had a few borderline pitches go the other way that Bieber was getting as strikes, but overall his command just wasn't as good as it was in his first start. Until he got chased late, he still really only made two mistakes, and they were to a guy who is pretty damn good. It'll happen.

He's an interesting pitcher. Hopefully he learned a few things that he needs to work on and can go back to AAA and get after it again and be ready for the next opportunity. He's got some ability, and while I don't ever see him as a guy who will be a front end starter, he could be valuable chewing up innings on the back end.

The offense didn't do much to pick up our starter either. When a team averaging 5.9 runs per game only scratches 2 past the plate, it might just not be your night.

#38 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

Completely off-topic: I got a chance to watch the Yomiuri Giants and the Rakuten Eagles for the last three innings tonight. Our old 'friend' Alan Busenitz came in to try to hang on to a 2-1 lead in the eighth inning. After recording one out, he had a tough luck inning started by ground ball single between 1st and 2nd. Then, he got another ball chopped to the left of the mound, which he tried to glove--a mistake--it hit off the end of his glove and carommed into right field (it would have been a pretty easy doubleplay if he hadn't tried to stab it). Runners were at the corners. The next hitter grounded the ball in the hole but the shortstop fielded it nicely. It also looked like it was going to be a doubleplay, but the shortstop's plant foot slipped on the damp grass and his throw pulled the 2nd baseman off the bag. Tying run scored. The next batter grounded into the inning ending doubleplay.

He ended up getting the win, however, as Rakuten rallied for two runs in the bottom of the eighth.

Just thought I'd let the faithful know how one of their own is doing. He's been quite a good pitcher for the Eagles and looked sharp despite giving up the tying run.

Sorry for the long post.
  • ashbury, PDX Twin and bighat like this

#39 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:20 AM

I think the major difference today was his inability to command the zone. His strike rate was 20% lower than the last time out.

And part of that may have been the instability of the zone itself. I don't remember a game in which there have been more pitches on which the umpire disagreed with the TV tracker.

• Aerodeliria likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#40 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,378 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:42 AM

And part of that may have been the instability of the zone itself. I don't remember a game in which there have been more pitches on which the umpire disagreed with the TV tracker.

Yeah, last night was pretty bad and I almost never complain about umpiring.
  • JLease and Aerodeliria like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: devin smeltzer, marwin gonzalez, eddie rosario, francisco lindor