Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: CLE 5, MIN 2: Twins Can’t Figure Out Bieber, Lindor Lifts Cleveland

devin smeltzer marwin gonzalez eddie rosario francisco lindor
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Kirby O'Connor

Kirby O'Connor

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

After Shane Bieber gave up three home runs and six earned runs in his last start, it looked like the Minnesota Twins, owners of the most potent offense in the MLB, might have an easy time against Cleveland’s starter. However, Bieber figured out the Twins lineup and was able to throw seven innings while only allowing two runs, both coming on solo home runs.Box Score
Smeltzer: 6.1 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 59.8% strikes (49 of 82 pitches)
Home Runs: Gonzalez (7), Rosario (18)
Multi-Hit Games: Gonzalez (2-for-4, 2B, HR)
WPA of +0.1: None
WPA of -0.1: Kepler -.102, Smeltzer -.183
Download attachment: Win64.png
(chart via FanGraphs)

The Twins had only one other true scoring threat, when they put Miguel Sano at third and Johnathon Schoop at second with two outs in the second inning. Minnesota didn’t move anybody past second base outside of their two solo shots. The Tribe’s bullpen would come in and shut the door, Oliver Perez struck out the side in the eighth, and Brad Hand shut the door for the save in the ninth. The Twins did not record a hit after Eddie Rosario’s home run in the sixth inning.

Margo and Rosie Continue Their Tears, Rest of Team Goes Silent
One of the bright spots in a bleak night in Cleveland is the continued surges of Marwin Gonzalez and Eddie Rosario. Gonzalez would add a home run and double to his season total, following his strong series in Tampa Bay where he had another game where he had a double and home run. Gonzalez has six home runs and seven doubles this year. Unfortunately, Gonzalez ended his night with a game ending double-play ball.

Eddie Rosario only had one hit, but it was his 18th home run this year. The Twins couldn’t muster anything else out of their offense, with another particularly bad performance turned in by right fielder Max Kepler. Kepler went 0-for-4 to extend his at-bat streak without a hit to 17. Outside of Gonzalez and Rosario, the Twins only had two other hits, the double by Jonathan Schoop, and a single by Jorge Polanco. Byron Buxton should have had an infield single in the eighth, but a bobble by Cleveland shortstop Fransisco Lindor made it an error.

Smetlzer Can’t Figure Out Lindor, Gets Chased by Back-to-Back Homers
Rookie Devin Smeltzer had his “welcome to the big leagues” game as a starter today when he gave up two home runs to Indians’ shortstop Fransisco Lindor. Lindor hit a solo shot in the third on an 0-2 count, a pitch that Smeltzer was trying to locate above the zone, but left it belt-high and middle-in.

The second home run that Lindor hit was another pitch middle-in, but this time was a changeup left just under the belt. Lindor finished the game with those two home runs, a walk, and three RBIs. Smeltzer was chased from the game in the seventh inning when he gave up home runs on back-to-back pitches to Cleveland’s Roberto Perez and Jake Bauers. Twins relievers were solid tonight, and not overtaxed as Ryne Harper collected two outs and Tyler Duffey pitched a spotless eighth.

The Twins certainly didn’t play up to their potential tonight, but they also got rocked 14-3 to start their last series in Tampa Bay. The bats going cold is concerning, but it’s happened before. Smeltzer didn’t look as untouchable as he did in his last start, but it’s only his second career start and he was only making it as Michael Pineda spends time on the injured list. It never feels good to lose to a division rival, but this series is not make-or-break for the Twins. Look for a good bounce-back tomorrow from Minnesota tomorrow. After all, they are 15-3 following losses.

Bullpen Usage
Here’s a quick look at the number of pitches thrown by the bullpen over the past five days:
Download attachment: Bullpen64.png
Next Game
Wed at CLE, 6:10 pm CT (Perez-Carrasco)

Last Game
MIN 9, TB 7: Odorizzi Shines In Tampa Return

More from Twins Daily
Twins Select Keoni Cavaco with 13th Overall Pick
Twins Select Minnesotan Matt Wallner with 39th Overall Pick
Week in Review: Test Passed in Tampa

Click here to view the article
  • glunn and nclahammer like this

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,453 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:17 PM

I think the theme of this game should be "it really doesn't matter if you lose when you're 40-18 with an 11 game lead in the division and put a rookie on the mound just to see how he does a second time around".

The Twins took a pretty typical loss on the chin tonight. It's nothing to worry about until it becomes a trend.

• Jerr, Kelly Vance, Danchat and 9 others like this

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:25 PM

Well, a new pitcher is reminded that you don't walk the #9 hitter with a .200 average. He had a tough first inning, and a gem of the run for the rest of the game, until the 7th. Maybe pushing him one too many with a well-rested bullpen and people like Duffey able to pitch multiple innings. Tough loss. But you do have to lose occasionally. Good for the rookie, but probably not enough to keep him from going back to the minors when Pineda returns. 

• glunn, DocBauer, Minny505 and 5 others like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,453 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:47 PM

Well, a new pitcher is reminded that you don't walk the #9 hitter with a .200 average. He had a tough first inning, and a gem of the run for the rest of the game, until the 7th. Maybe pushing him one too many with a well-rested bullpen and people like Duffey able to pitch multiple innings. Tough loss. But you do have to lose occasionally. Good for the rookie, but probably not enough to keep him from going back to the minors when Pineda returns. 

I think he'll get one more start before Pineda returns, right?

edit: Nevermind, I think Pineda can come back this Friday.

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

I think he'll get one more start before Pineda returns, right?

Nevermind, I think Pineda can come back this Friday.

Pineda is eligible to return on Thursday.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,453 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:49 PM

Heh, edited my post at the same time.

#7 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

Smeltzer should have never come out for the 7th. That seemed like second guessing. Harper was already up in the 6th ... Not that it mattered, since Perez carved up the top of the order in the 8th.

#8 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:54 PM

He only threw Lindor two fastballs. He probably shouldn't have thrown him any. 

I think the major difference today was his inability to command the zone. His strike rate was 20% lower than the last time out.

#9 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,481 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

I think the major difference today was his inability to command the zone. His strike rate was 20% lower than the last time out.

the second HR came on a change up.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#10 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

I will say this because I have said this before and every time I have been wrong, so hopping for some of that mojo...Twins are bound to go on a slight slide...

• Minny505 likes this

#11 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:09 AM

This series doesn’t set up well—rookie going in game 1, then Carrasco and Bauer, in Cleveland. We might want to hold off on the coronation just yet (John and Aaron spent the entire Sunday podcast proclaiming the division was essentially over), and see if they can eke our one victory in this series.
  • Danchat and Original Whizzinator like this

#12 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:29 AM

Cruz and Garver both had poor ABs last night.

Hopefully, they will shake the rust off quickly and get up to speed.

• blindeke, Tomj14 and bighat like this

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,654 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:41 AM

Smeltzer should have never come out for the 7th. That seemed like second guessing. Harper was already up in the 6th ... Not that it mattered, since Perez carved up the top of the order in the 8th.

I'm not sure about that. He hadn't even thrown 80 pitches at that point. Game was tight and well, you know all about our pen. I think the decision was justifiable. 

• pbrezeasap, SwainZag, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,654 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:42 AM

almost all of it, interestingly enough, was from the first inning where he threw about 20 pitches and more balls than strikes. They had the shift on the entire inning and he was asked to pepper the inside only, 

#15 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:51 AM

I wonder if Beiber really hates his name. "There WAS nothing wrong with it until that no talent ass clown got famous and started winning Grammys!"
  • SwainZag, Don Walcott and railmarshalljon like this

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:08 AM

I missed Smeltzer's first start, but saw most of the game last night. I think he's showed enough to be first in line when there's a starting vacancy (rainouts, injuries), but with less than dominating stuff, he needs to have good command and keep ahead of counts. Smeltzer isn't going to give up four homers every start, buthe's a far better pitcher when he's pounding the strike zone.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#17 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:25 AM

We're doomed. The sky is falling !

• Puckett34 and blindeke like this

#18 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Smeltzer did a good job.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#19 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

if i were Pineda, Id be thinking about how its gonna be feel being a middle reliever very Very soon.

#20 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:26 AM

if i were Pineda, Id be thinking about how its gonna be feel being a middle reliever very Very soon.

Wait, Pineda is better than Smeltzer right? Smeltzer = Tommy Milone? Am I missing something?
  • Channing1964 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: devin smeltzer, marwin gonzalez, eddie rosario, francisco lindor