Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 2019 MLB Draft Day 2 Thread

keoni cavaco matt centerino matt wallner mlb draft
  • Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#161 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,356 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:25 PM

Ugh. I happened to be looking at BPA on mlb's draft tracker. And I saw the DOBs.

Ouch.

(Edit because FML that was too tall)

SZjeVzx.png

Gen Z'ers.

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#162 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• 2,003 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

Prato has some swagger:

https://www.theuconn...ncaa-tournament

That catch has been on TV a lot - it was pretty impressive.

#163 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,278 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

Ugh. I happened to be looking at BPA on mlb's draft tracker. And I saw the DOBs.

Ouch.

(Edit because FML that was too tall)

SZjeVzx.png

USAFChief takes one look at these dates and says, "1900, 1901? They might be experienced enough to make a contribution."

• USAFChief, nicksaviking, Monkeypaws and 1 other like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#164 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 713 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:07 AM

If you have ever wanted to review the entire Twins draft from a given year, you can find the information at Baseball Reference.The link below is an example and shows a stunningly weak 2011 draft for the Twins:

https://www.baseball...from_type_unk=0

I seem to recall a site that gave similar information but stated whether or not each player signed during that particular year.Anyone else remember seeing anything like that?

I remember being fairly positive about that draft too, I thought Michael was for sure a solid pick and Boyd and Harrison looked like they could develop into top of the line starters. Who knew we wouldn't get anything out of that draft at all

#165 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 713 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:10 AM

Dang, Gross has a degree from Princeton (in 3 years!!!!) And presumably some masters work at Duke. Are we sure we can really get him to sign for a normal senior price? Seems like he would have a lot of opportunities ahead of him

#166 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 747 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:08 AM

The White Sox just drafted culinary artist James Beard.

For the sake of their locker room dining table, I hope they didn't grab Paul Prudhomme too!

#167 Jacks02

Jacks02

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

If you have ever wanted to review the entire Twins draft from a given year, you can find the information at Baseball Reference.The link below is an example and shows a stunningly weak 2011 draft for the Twins:

I seem to recall a site that gave similar information but stated whether or not each player signed during that particular year.Anyone else remember seeing anything like that?

You think that was bad, check out 2007! https://www.baseball...ype=franch_year

#168 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

You think that was bad, check out 2007! https://www.baseball...ype=franch_year

I was on-board the Angel Morales hype train after he hit .301 and had 15 homers as an 18 year old in E'town, and followed it up with a respectable showing as a 19 year old in the Midwest League. 

#169 Roaddog

Roaddog

• 256 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

I looked through a couple other years. Yikes... No wonder we were terrible for a bit

#170 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:49 AM

So, based on their Day 2 draft, it sees like Elizabethton will field an opening day defense of a pitcher, a catcher and seven middle infielders.

• 70charger likes this

#171 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,620 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:15 AM

I like the strategy of going after high-upside hitters and then then going after pitching later (and in international/free agent situations).

Hitting is a little more projectable, and there are fewer players out there with real high-end hit tools and command of the strike zone. There dare usually indications that a hitter is going to beak out. Things are more readily measured and applied.

Pitching is harder to project. Guys add/subtract velocity for various reasons. Catastrophic injury is more likely (blown elbows are common these days). Development of pitches is unknowable (how do you know if a guy has a feel for throwing a change-up if he’s never thrown one before? Guys have developed knuckleballs and won the Cy Young, Martin Perez’s cutter out of nowhere, Johan Santana’s change, etc.).

Bottom line, I think you can grab guys that throw hard outside of the early rounds and develop them (we’re seeing it in the Twins system with Balazovic). I think you’re much more likely to find a guy like that these days (technology, advanced stats, etc) than finding an elite hitter in some obscure place.

Could be way off, just a feeling.

#172 snap4birds

snap4birds

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 112 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

Ummm, there's a column to the left of the draftees name with a Y/N for whether they signed with the drafting team.

Baseball America used to have a tracker like this that listed how much they signed for.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keoni cavaco, matt centerino, matt wallner, mlb draft