Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 2019 MLB Draft Day 2 Thread

keoni cavaco matt centerino matt wallner mlb draft
  • Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#41 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,081 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:11 PM

Who's Gary Seth? :)

#42 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 713 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:12 PM

I hate to be critical in the later rounds but do they not value pitching? Why are we picking up infielders who are pretty big reaches at a position where there's a logjam and completely ignoring pitching? Seems odd to me
  • Mike Sixel, d-mac and D.C Twins like this

#43 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,081 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

I want us to draft Hearn and Ealy!!!!!!! Falvine make it happen!!!!!!!

#44 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

Gray had a solid performance in the Cape Cod League. Powerful swing, looks pretty athletic based on the few scouting videos I can find and apparently was a pretty good pitcher in high school.

• MN_ExPat likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#45 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,263 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

I hate to be critical in the later rounds but do they not value pitching? Why are we picking up infielders who are pretty big reaches at a position where there's a logjam and completely ignoring pitching? Seems odd to me

I'd like to believe it's b/c they have their eye on a number of HS pitchers...  

at least that's what I'm going to keep telling myself. 

• Dman likes this

#46 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,279 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

On the plus side, they'll have one of the oldest rookie league teams, and should be able to man the infield.....so their stats will be awesome!

• d-mac likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#47 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,124 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:19 PM

They'll surely select some pitching prospects going forward here, but I'm wondering if they have plans to be pitcher-heavy in the IFA market this year.

A ton of 3B picks in this draft so far, for all teams.

#48 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,052 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Kind of impressive that the Twins have such a good record under the leadership of a front office that's apparently worse at drafting than the majority of Twins Daily users.

• 2wins87, brvama, SwainZag and 10 others like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#49 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,279 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

Kind of impressive that the Twins have such a good record under the leadership of a front office that's apparently worse at drafting than the majority of Twins Daily users.

No one said that, and if we can't discuss pro and con feelings about moves, why come here at all?

• ashbury, USAFChief, NapoleonComplex and 4 others like this

#50 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,052 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

No one said that, and if we can't discuss pro and con feelings about moves, why come here at all?

Various posters are directly stating or heavily implying that the Twins should be making different picks (i.e., 'I'm no expert, but the Twins are screwing up.')

Opinions can be informed or uninformed. We know a lot more about MLB players and can have informed opinions about them. Most TD users have virtually no real knowledge about amateur scouting or specific amateur players . . . your opinions in this case are uninformed.

• PseudoSABR, TheLeviathan and Ben Noble like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#51 TerwilligerBuntsOne

TerwilligerBuntsOne

Elizabethton Twins

• 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:31 PM

Widely viewed that this was a very weak draft for college pitchers. Am guessing that they are simply loading up on position players with upside in the early rounds, with plans on snagging some cheaper arms in later rounds. 

• Mike Sixel, 70charger, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

#52 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,279 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

Widely viewed that this was a very weak draft for college pitchers. Am guessing that they are simply loading up on position players with upside in the early rounds, with plans on snagging some cheaper arms in later rounds. 

welcome to the site!

• d-mac and D.C Twins like this

#53 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 954 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

It's just questioning the lack of pitchers drafted so far .... I tend to lean toward watching videos of pitchers myself, so I have an idea of who I liked (none were drafted) ... I'm not going to call out a pick, because obviously I don't know jack $*#.I think it's just fine to wonder where the pitching is going to come from .... The IFA comment definitely seems to be in play

• Mike Sixel and d-mac like this

#54 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

Here's what Baseball America had to say about Steer:

A solid all-around player with Oregon, Steer is a hit-over-power, utility-type player with impressive defensive ability. Standing at just 5-foot-11, 185 pounds, Steer isn’t physically imposing and doesn’t have many loud tools, but he does everything on the field well. This spring, he hit .356/.460/.510 through his first 54 games—leading the team in average and RBIs—and has consistently put together good at-bats going back to his freshman year. Over his first 160 games at Oregon, Steer struck out 86 times (12.1 percent) compared to 70 walks (9.9 percent). He performed well in the Cape Cod League last summer as well, where his Orleans teammates voted him co-MVP (along with Vanderbilt outfielder J.J. Bleday) thanks to a .304/.351/.481 line and outstanding defense at both second and third base. Steer has a strong, accurate arm with good footwork at both positions and does an excellent job charging the baseball and gaining ground. Steer projects as a utility-type player at the next level who could hit for a high average

• Mike Sixel, PseudoSABR, Monkeypaws and 3 others like this

#55 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 954 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

Here's what Baseball America had to say about Steer:

Steer has a strong, accurate arm with good footwork at both positions and does an excellent job charging the baseball and gaining ground. Steer projects as a utility-type player at the next level who could hit for a high average

Sounds like he gets after it! 

Snagged him before Gardy could get him!

Edited by MMMordabito, 04 June 2019 - 12:41 PM.

• Mike Sixel, Dman, d-mac and 1 other like this

#56 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:43 PM

What Baseball America says about Seth Gray

Gray was Wright State’s starting third baseman from the first game of his freshman year. And in his first series, he announced his arrival by doubling twice and homering to help the Raiders win a series opener against Clemson. Gray has been a key to the team ever since, but as a junior he’s started to drive the ball for the first time after settling for spraying line drives from the lefthanded batter’s box in the past. He’s a future fringe-average hitter in pro ball, so the team drafting him is eyeing his power potential. Gray has the frame to potentially get stronger and find plus power. He is an above-average defender at third base with an above-average arm who should be able to say at the hot corner

• Monkeypaws, Dman, d-mac and 2 others like this

#57 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• 329 posts

No one said that, and if we can't discuss con and conner feelings about moves, why come here at all?

FIFY

• Mike Sixel and IMissJoeMauer like this

#58 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,066 posts
  • LocationTucson

Various posters are directly stating or heavily implying that the Twins should be making different picks (i.e., 'I'm no expert, but the Twins are screwing up.')

Opinions can be informed or uninformed. We know a lot more about MLB players and can have informed opinions about them. Most TD users have virtually no real knowledge about amateur scouting or specific amateur players . . . your opinions in this case are uninformed.

I stated I'm no expert. And I'm underwhelmed by the Twins picks. They just picked a guy in the third round who is projected to perhaps be a utility player.

It's an uninformed opinion, but I offer it anyway. 

For the record, you haven't changed my opinion.

• Mike Sixel, adorduan, D.C Twins and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#59 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• 96 posts

This confuses me. Are you saying uninformed opinions shouldn't be expressed? Should opinions only be reserved for those more informed? Because I like to learn and become more informed on topics, especially when it comes to our MN Twins, I express uninformed opinions. Responses to my opinions are how I become more informed. Now my head hurts.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, d-mac and 3 others like this

#60 Roaddog

Roaddog

• 256 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:44 PM

He battles his tail off😀

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keoni cavaco, matt centerino, matt wallner, mlb draft