- Nelson Cruz’s rehab stint with the Miracle is officially complete as he was activated by the Twins on Monday morning. Cruz takes Luis Arraez’s roster spot. He was optioned following Sunday’s game.
- Rochester OF John Andreoli was traded by the Twins to the Seattle Mariners organization for cash considerations.
- Pensacola announced that OF/1B Alex Kirilloff has been placed on the Injured List.
- On Sunday the Twins announce their minor league award.
- 2018 first-round draft pick Trevor Larnach was named the Player of the Week for the second time this year. He went 11-for-21 (.524) with two doubles and two homers.
- RHP Jhoan Duran was the Pitcher of the Week. He gave up one earned run on two hits in six innings. He also struck out 14 batters. He came to the Twins from the Diamondbacks in the Eduardo Escobar trade last July.
- On Monday, Larnach was named the Florida State League Player of the Week as well.
The Twins make three picks on Day 1 of the Draft:
- With the 13th overall pick, the Twins selected 3B Keoni Cavaco, from East Lake High School in San Diego.
- With the 39th overall pick, the Twins selected Forest Lake High School grad, outfielder Matt Wallner out of the University of Southern Mississippi.
- With their 2nd round pick (54th overall), the Twins drafted RHP Matt Canterinoout of Rice University.
Rochester 4, Syracuse 5 (10 innings)
The Red Wings fell behind early 3-0 after Gabriel Moya gave up three runs on five hits as team’s opener. They clawed back quickly. In the second inning, Wilin Rosario hit a sacrifice fly. In the fourth inning, Jordany Valdespin tripled in two runs to tie the game. Then things were quiet through the ninth inning.
Randy Dobnak kept the Red Wings in the game and gave them a chance. He worked six shutout innings despite giving up five hits and four walks. He struck out six batters. DJ Baxendale came on and worked scoreless innings in the eighth and ninth innings.
In the tenth, Wilin Rosario hit a sacrifice fly to put the Red Wings ahead by a score of 4-3. However, the leadoff batter in the bottom of the 10th tripled in a run. The Red Wings had DJ Baxendale intentionally walk the next two batters, and the following hitter singled to drive in the game-winning (or losing, as it was, for the Red Wings) run.
BLUE WAHOO BITES
Pensacola 8, Jacksonville 7
Another extra innings game, and lets lead with the game-winner. In the bottom of the 10th, with a runners on first and second, Jaylin Davis doubled in the game-winning run.
Davis led the offense. He went 3-for-5. The double was his seventh of the year, and he also stole his sixth base. Caleb Hamilton had a great game. He went 2-for-3 with four RBI. He had a sacrifice fly, an RBI single and a two-run single. He also stole his fourth base. Travis Blankenhorn was 2-for-5 with his sixth double.
Charlie Barnes made his second Blue Wahoos start. The lefty went the first five innings and gave up four runs on six hits. He walked one and struck out five. Adam Bray threw three scoreless innings. He got one out in the fourth but two of his runs scored that inning. He gave up two runs on four hits and struck out three. Tyler Jay got the final two outs of the ninth inning but not before he gave up the Bray runners and one of his own to tie the game. Williams Ramirez got the final two outs to record the Win.
Ft. Myers 5, Florida 2
Edwar Colina missed the first month of the season, but he has picked up where he left off of late. On Monday night, he improved to 3-1 with a 3.45 ERA. The powerful right-hander gave up two runs on seven hits over six innings. He struck out four without issuing a walk. Adam Phillips came in and struck out four batters over two innings. He gave up just one hit. Hector Lujan picked up his fourth save. He struck out two in a perfect ninth inning.
The Miracle jumped out to a lead early. They scored three runs in the first inning. Ryan Jeffers singled in a run. Jose Miranda followed with an BI double. Mark Contreras contributed a sacrifice fly. Royce Lewis added a sacrifice fly in the second inning.
Michael Helman led the Miracle offense. He went 2-for-3 with a walk and his sixth double of the season. It came in the eighth inning and drove in an insurance run. He also stole a base.
No Game Scheduled.
TWINS DAILY PLAYERS OF THE DAY
Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day - Randy Dobnak, Rochester Red Wings
Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Day – Jaylin Davis, Pensacola Blue Wahoos
Here’s a look at how the Twins Daily Top 20 Twins Prospects performed:
#1 - Royce Lewis (Ft. Myers) - 1-3, RBI, K, SF
#2 - Alex Kirilloff (Pensacola) - Injured List
#3 - Brusdar Graterol (Pensacola) - Injured List (shoulder)
#4 - Trevor Larnach (Ft. Myers) - 1-4, R
#5 - Wander Javier (CR) - No Game Scheduled
#6 - Brent Rooker (Rochester) - 2-4, BB, R, 2 K
#7 - Jhoan Duran (Ft. Myers) - Did Not Pitch.
#8 - Lewis Thorpe (Rochester) - Rained Out.
#9 - Blayne Enlow (Ft. Myers) - Did Not Pitch.
#10 - Akil Baddoo (Ft. Myers) - Injured List (Tommy John surgery)
#11 - Nick Gordon (Rochester) - 1-6, K
#12 - Stephen Gonsalves (Rochester) - Injured List (elbow)
#13 - Ryan Jeffers (Ft. Myers) - 1-3, BB, R, RBI, K
#14 - Ben Rortvedt (Pensacola) - 1-4, BB, R, 2 K
#15 - Yunior Severino (Cedar Rapids) - Injured List (thumb)
#16 - Gilberto Celestino (Cedar Rapids) - No Game Scheduled.
#17 - Zack Littell (Rochester) - Did Not Pitch.
#18 - LaMonte Wade (Rochester) - 0-4, BB, R
#19 - Jorge Alcala (Pensacola) - Did Not Pitch
#20 - Jose Miranda (Ft. Myers) - 1-4, 2B(11), RBI, K
TUESDAY’S PROBABLE STARTERS
Rochester @ Syracuse (12:05 CST) - TBD
Jacksonville @ Pensacola (6:35 CST) - RHP Jorge Alcala (4-2, 4.75 ERA)
Florida @ Ft. Myers (5:30 CST) - RHP Blayne Enlow (1-0, 1.50 ERA)
Cedar Rapids @ Clinton (6:30 CST) - RHP Kai-Wei Teng (1st MWL start)
Please feel free to ask any questions and discuss the Monday games or any other minor league topics you would like.
Click here to view the article