Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Select Keoni Cavaco with 13th Overall Pick

mlb draft draft keoni cavaco
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 prouster

prouster

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:11 PM

Again, I understand that completely. A couple of other posters are suggesting that money can't be spent on anything.
Also, nobody suggested not signing a pick. The suggestion was signing everyone under slot.

I’m trying to answer a question that you (apparently?) asked using hypotheticals. They could sign everyone under slot if they wanted to. The slots exist to limit what draft picks can make. You mentioned your “argument” in a different post. I’m not sure who you’re arguing with, because it isn’t me.

Edited by prouster, 03 June 2019 - 10:13 PM.

#42 MikeW

MikeW

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:17 PM

Twins now have some history will pop-up players. Larnich flashed his last year in college.

#43 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:08 AM

Again, I understand that completely. A couple of other posters are suggesting that money can't be spent on anything.
Also, nobody suggested not signing a pick. The suggestion was signing everyone under slot.

Seemed easier to use your quote.:)

#44 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

Someone post some facts on this guy.

I've seen 6'0, 6'1", 6'2" and his weight ranges from 175 to 190 lbs. 

I know he's a pop-up guy, but is he growing with every posting?

California prep player of the year. What he hit? How many SBs? What he do to win the prep award in our largest, most baseball friendly state?

#45 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

Someone post some facts on this guy.

I've seen 6'0, 6'1", 6'2" and his weight ranges from 175 to 190 lbs. 

I know he's a pop-up guy, but is he growing with every posting?

California prep player of the year. What he hit? How many SBs? What he do to win the prep award in our largest, most baseball friendly state?

He probably is between 6'0" and 6'2" and 175-190. Pretty common for measurements, especially of HS kids to vary as they can 1. change and 2. aren't being updated regularly and 3. can be exaggerated a bit.

As far as stats, amazing what a simple google search will do:

https://www.maxpreps...bTA/default.htm

#46 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:33 AM

I'd love to revisit this in five years.

#47 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

Seemed easier to use your quote. :)

If you spend less than your allotted pool, intentionally, that is "savings".

Again, I don't personally think anyone would do that, I was just responding to a couple posters who suggested it's not allowed. As far as I know, there is no such rule, as it would be not just difficult, but 100% impossible to enforce.

#48 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

Fangraphs report:

TLDR
The best popup guy in the class, Cavaco went from on the radar to a likely day one pick with the progress he's made in February and early March.
Full Report
A growth spurt bouyed Cavaco's tools and draft stock, as he's this year's most prominent pop-up high school prospect. He may have the best frame in the entire draft but has already grown into considerable power, which he gets to in games despite an awkwardly-timed stride. At times clumsy on defense, Cavaco may still be growing into his new body. He may end up at second or third base (where he played as an amateur) or get a try in center field if his hands and actions don't improve. He's one of the draft's higher risk, higher reward prospects.

https://www.fangraph...,1&type=0&team=

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#49 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,422 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

Fangraphs report:

TLDR
The best popup guy in the class, Cavaco went from on the radar to a likely day one pick with the progress he's made in February and early March.
Full Report
A growth spurt bouyed Cavaco's tools and draft stock, as he's this year's most prominent pop-up high school prospect. He may have the best frame in the entire draft but has already grown into considerable power, which he gets to in games despite an awkwardly-timed stride. At times clumsy on defense, Cavaco may still be growing into his new body. He may end up at second or third base (where he played as an amateur) or get a try in center field if his hands and actions don't improve. He's one of the draft's higher risk, higher reward prospects.

https://www.fangraph...,1&type=0&team=

I hope his middle initial isn't....... "J(ay)". 

#50 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:36 PM

John
3:45 Is Keoni Cavaco an under slot pick? Seems like he got picked higher than he was on your and your competitors boards.
Keith Law
3:45 Don't think so - he had other suitors in the teens.

#51 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:48 PM

I'm pretty psyched about this guy. Defintely high risk that he'll swing and miss too much, like Adam Brett Walker, but hey, go big or go home.

#52 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

Interesting article on him on the Athletic. He didn’t attend any of the big showcase events, Perfect Game, Area Code games, so he was largely unknown. The Twins started going to all of his games this spring, 35 in all. They were really focused on him (which should be obvious that they took him earlier than he was projected.)

We’ll never know, but wondering how many guys they would have taken AHEAD of Cavaco had they fallen?

#53 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

Is this draft considered weak for first rounders?

Do teams still get a comp pick if they don’t sign their first rounder?

Would it be to any team’s advantage to have drafted a college bound high schooler and not sign them?

#54 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:54 PM

Is this draft considered weak for first rounders?

Do teams still get a comp pick if they don’t sign their first rounder?

Would it be to any team’s advantage to have drafted a college bound high schooler and not sign them?

No. Every expert says no, don't do that. You lose a year of development. Next year, maybe the guys you want get hurt. No. Take a player you believe in.
  • gunnarthor likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft, draft, keoni cavaco