Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Select Keoni Cavaco with 13th Overall Pick

mlb draft draft keoni cavaco
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:59 PM

They lose any draft pool money they don't spend, so it can't be funnelled to sign free agents. They will be able to draft and sign better players in later rounds with more money to give, as Tom has already stated.

I don't understand. The league fines them the difference if they don't spend their entire pool? I've never heard that before.

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,111 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:00 PM

Trying to save money to sign Kimbrel?Keuchel?

Irrelevant...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#23 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 143 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Is there an echo in here?

#24 Roaddog

Roaddog

• 256 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

I don't understand. The league fines them the difference if they don't spend their entire pool? I've never heard that before.

I don't think fined. They just aren't able to keep pool money for other uses. Like Free agency ,etc

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

I get the upside. But he turned 18 yesterday. Given where the Twins are, it seems to me that the only way you can make a pick like this...is if you REALLY hated the college arms. Toolsy, might hit. Did we need another one of those?

I don't know why anyone would want college arms.Take the 18 year olds later that you can work with to refine.

I'm a huge advocate of taking bats early and then loading up on arms in the rest of the draft that you can put your gurus to work on.

• Twins33 and PseudoSABR like this

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

I don't think fined. They just aren't able to keep pool money for other uses. Like Free agency ,etc

Draft pool money is not given to them by the league. It just designates how much each team is allowed to spend on draft pick bonuses.

There is literally no possible way for the league to know what is done with the money that wasn't spent on draft picks.

I'm not suggesting the Twins will do that, they'll spend their allotted pool. But there is nothing that would (or could) prevent them from doing it if they decided they wanted to.
  • KidBro likes this

#27 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• 2,946 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

The pool money is the limit they can spend on draft picks, they can't spend more. If they don't spend to the limit, it is still money they have to spend however they want. 

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#28 Roaddog

Roaddog

• 256 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:28 PM

Draft pool money is not given to them by the league. It just designates how much each team is allowed to spend on draft pick bonuses.

There is literally no possible way for the league to know what is done with the money that wasn't spent on draft picks.

I'm not suggesting the Twins will do that, they'll spend their allotted pool. But there is nothing that would (or could) prevent them from doing it if they decided they wanted to.

I didn't word that right. But there is no fine

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:29 PM

I didn't word that right. But there is no fine

If there is no fine, then how are they prevented from using any money not spent?

#30 Roaddog

Roaddog

• 256 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:30 PM

I don't know. Call Falvey

#31 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 501 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:35 PM

Think of the draft pools as potential spending. If they don’t sign a guy, they no longer have the potential to spend the amount slotted for that pick.

#32 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:38 PM

The Twins entire draft pool is $9.9 million. That's the best $9.9 million they'll spend all year. That'll primarily be spread that across their first 10 round's worth of picks and it will buy them control of those players for years upon years upon years.

All those players and all those years of team control for much less than the total amounts I'm sure either Kimbrel or Keuchel will sign for.

• blindeke and dbminn like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#33 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,841 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

I'm ok with this pick b/c most of the guys I wanted were gone by then. Obviously, questions about HS players hit tool can be pretty damning but they had questions about Adell and the Angels are thrilled that they picked him.

Twins have always liked toolsy HS guys and they've had some success with them so let's hope this one works out. Excited about our next few picks.

• Dman likes this

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:52 PM

Think of the draft pools as potential spending. If they don’t sign a guy, they no longer have the potential to spend the amount slotted for that pick.

Yes, I understand that.
A couple of posters are claiming that a team is not allowed to spend draft pick savings on a free agent.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 03 June 2019 - 08:56 PM.

#35 Lasorda_This_Out

Lasorda_This_Out

Elizabethton Twins

• 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:54 PM

Exciting and intriguing pick! Totally trust Falvine/Scouting staff...overlooked by major media and it seems most other MLB teams. Cool!

Question on pronunciation? Cavako or Cahvahco?

Go Twins 2019!!!!!

#36 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

I don't know. Call Falvey

Earlier you said they can't spend that savings on other things. Now you say you don't know.
Why would I call Falvey about a rule that I'm quite sure doesn't exist?

#37 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 744 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

Earlier you said they can't spend that savings on other things. Now you say you don't know.
Why would I call Falvey about a rule that I'm quite sure doesn't exist?

There is no savings. They are allowed to spend their own money up to their limit. It is an upper boundary. Drafted player bonuses, as Tom F said, are an incredibly solid investment. There is no incentive for teams to not spend money on prospects.

• SwainZag likes this

#38 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 501 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:08 PM

Yes, I understand that.
A couple of posters are claiming that a team is not allowed to spend draft pick savings on a free agent.

I think the confusion is coming by conflating draft spending with free agent spending. Teams can spend up to X, but failing to sign a guy means they can spend up to X-Y. What they do with Y is, to my knowledge, more or less unregulated with the exception that they can’t use it on their other draft picks.

#39 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:28 PM

There is no savings. They are allowed to spend their own money up to their limit. It is an upper boundary. Drafted player bonuses, as Tom F said, are an incredibly solid investment. There is no incentive for teams to not spend money on prospects.

Yes, I know. That isn't my argument. None of that is.

Someone suggested that a team could spend less than their max and use the rest in free agency.
Two posters are claiming that is illegal.

I agree with you that no team would do that, but they are certainly allowed to if they wanted to.

#40 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,715 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:30 PM

I think the confusion is coming by conflating draft spending with free agent spending. Teams can spend up to X, but failing to sign a guy means they can spend up to X-Y. What they do with Y is, to my knowledge, more or less unregulated with the exception that they can’t use it on their other draft picks.

Again, I understand that completely. A couple of other posters are suggesting that money can't be spent on anything.
Also, nobody suggested not signing a pick. The suggestion was signing everyone under slot.
  • dbminn likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft, draft, keoni cavaco