Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Arraez Optioned

playing time versatility lh bat jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,290 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

Astudillo just has an adjustment to make. He came up and hit everything. So pitchers adjusted by throwing out of the strike zone knowing they probably won't walk him. If he adds a little patience to his approach, or if you just give him some take signs in early counts, he'd get more hitter's counts and the adjustment is likely made. That's a realistic possibility. 

I don't think Baldelli considers him a third catcher as much as he considers him a utility guy that's willing to put on the gear. Also a catcher getting hurt and needing an IL stint or just a few days off is a likely scenario. A player like Astudillo takes the pressure off a catcher to play hurt. Then consider his contact skills in a game where players are striking out more than ever. That's very valuable to a manager. 

I would hit him lower in the lineup, but Baldelli's going to be slow to send him down. It's easy to see why. 

I agree with all that was written above with the exception of that Baldelli considers him a utility guy that's will to put on the gear. Astudillo got starts when both of the other catchers were healthy. To me, that indicates he is regarded as part of the catching rotation. With his bat cooling, I doubt Willians gets many starts behind the dish in the immediate future. He would be the candidate to be optioned if there is a need for an additional relief pitcher.

#42 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:20 AM

A month ago, many posters wanted Castro DFA'd or traded since we didn't need him with Garver and La Tortuga.

Arraez can go back to Rochester and play every day, which is better for him and the team in the long run. He doesn't provide much that isn't already on the bench anyway, and he's not really a 1.000 OPS guy. 

For this team, right now, it makes way more sense to keep Astudillo around, and let him fill in when/where necessary. 

Yes, this.

Arraez needs seasoning and is positionally limited. Astudillo is a pretty ideal 25th guy thanks to his flexibility. 

Don't kick the sleeping dog.

#43 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,236 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

I would rather have seen Astudillo sent down. He's been an easy out for the last month. No power, no on-base skills, no eye at the plate. Dude needs to go.

In a vacuum, I'd send Astudillo down, but he also gives the team the option to have Garver and Castro in the lineup at the same time.

Which is a pretty good option from my view.

Can Arreaz get some 3B reps down in AAA? I mean, I'd let him play SS at Rochester too on the off chance that he shows he can play the position, but I also don't really much care about the likely collapse of Rochester's defense because of it, and their manager probably does.

#44 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,741 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

In a vacuum, I'd send Astudillo down, but he also gives the team the option to have Garver and Castro in the lineup at the same time.

Which is a pretty good option from my view.

Can Arreaz get some 3B reps down in AAA? I mean, I'd let him play SS at Rochester too on the off chance that he shows he can play the position, but I also don't really much care about the likely collapse of Rochester's defense because of it, and their manager probably does.

For what it's worth, Arraez has played a bit of 3B and SS in the minors... not a ton, but he's not a 2B only guy. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: playing time, versatility, lh bat, jake cave