Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Arraez Optioned

playing time versatility lh bat jake cave
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,243 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

Who would go when the Twins were back to full strength was debated long and hard by Twins Daily posters. With the return of Mitch Garver on Sunday and the near-certain return of Nelson Cruz on Tuesday in time for the Cleveland series, we have our answer. Luis Arraez was optioned last night after the completion of the series with Tampa Bay.

Arraez was outstanding in his cameo appearance. In about 30 plate appearances, he hit .375, with an OPS of 1.050, he hit a home run, stole a base and only struck out once while drawing five walks. He played well in the field, and showed versatility, logging innings at second, short and third. Luis got his at-bats as Baldelli ran an assortment of players through the DH spot in the lineup while Cruz was on the injured list. So, Cruz' return ends Arraez current stint with the big club.

Arraez will get Triple A reps and be ready in the event of an injury. He and Jake Cave will provide major-league ready depth in Rochester. The club has no position players on the injured list currently and that will change during the next three months.

If the Twins need to add another pitcher, it would appear that the next to go is Astudillo. Willians bat numbers have declined and while he is a satisfactory receiver, he will definitely be the third catcher, a luxury most teams can't afford for a whole season.

The Twins' current bench has the alternate catcher and three truly versatile players, who have all started games this year at at least four positions--Marwin Gonzalez, Ehire Adrianza and Astudillo--well set up to provide rest for the nominal starters.

• glunn, scottz, Mike Frasier Law and 7 others like this

#2 70charger

70charger

• 4,399 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:27 AM

It makes sense to send him down, but I’m sad to see him go. He’s got a good approach, and I think he belongs in the big leagues. I’ve got a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot more of Arraez in the coming years.
  • glunn, scottz, diehardtwinsfan and 8 others like this

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,471 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:34 AM

I figured it would be Astrudillo... though he may still be sent down when Cruz is activated. Having 3 good offensive options at C certainly is nice, but Willians hasn't quite been himself the last few weeks. He's swinging at too much garbage. I know he doesn't like to walk, but he needs to lay off pitches out of the zone for no other reason than to get hittable pitches in the zone. 

• glunn, nicksaviking, Dantes929 and 9 others like this

#4 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,282 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

This wasn't hard to predict. Arraez plays only one position, and isn't going to take many PAs away from Schoop.

Hopefully Cruz is healthy and mashing. Makes a huge difference in this lineup.

• glunn, Twins33, Mike Frasier Law and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#5 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,294 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:25 AM

I figured it would be Astrudillo... though he may still be sent down when Cruz is activated. 

Arraez was sent down because Cruz was activated, no?

• USAFChief, glunn, beckmt and 1 other like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#6 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,471 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:30 AM

Arraez was sent down because Cruz was activated, no?

who went down for Garver? I'm confused apparently. 

#7 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,009 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:33 AM

It makes sense to send him down, but I’m sad to see him go. He’s got a good approach, and I think he belongs in the big leagues. I’ve got a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot more of Arraez in the coming years.

Possibly on another team .... With the Twins going for it, his little cameo certainly increased his asset value as well.I'd rather that they keep Arraez and move Gordon, but whatever it takes to get this team more playoff horses is fine with me.

• glunn, beckmt, D.C Twins and 1 other like this

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,282 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:34 AM

Littell.

• glunn and Nine of twelve like this

#9 Fargoguy

Fargoguy

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

Littell went back down to make room for Garver.
  • glunn likes this

#10 jdmurphy315

jdmurphy315

Elizabethton Twins

• 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

Yes, all the position players were healthy, but I think the real depth question has always been what would happen when they were healthy and went to 13 pitchers - now it's only 12. Still boils down to Adrianza and Astudillo, and Astudillo's slump plus his option makes him much likelier than was the case a month ago. When they'll call upon that 13th pitcher, though, who knows - maybe they don't feel they need to.

• glunn likes this

#11 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,721 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:45 AM

So Garver for Littel and Cruz for Arreaz. Makes sense. The next move will be when we need ot go back to an 8th Reliever, who will come in for Astudillo. 

That's all without injuries. It's most likely that injuries will decide the next move or two.  

• glunn likes this

#12 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,483 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

I would rather have seen Astudillo sent down. He's been an easy out for the last month. No power, no on-base skills, no eye at the plate. Dude needs to go.

• Jaykay, sthpstm, KFEY93 and 1 other like this

#13 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,282 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

This wasn't hard to predict. Arraez plays only one position, and isn't going to take many PAs away from Schoop.

Hopefully Cruz is healthy and mashing. Makes a huge difference in this lineup.

Second is probably his best position, but he played a fair amount at short and third.Arraez will see much of his future value come from positional flexibility, much like Marwin.

• glunn, Nine of twelve and jz7233 like this

#14 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 71 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

I would rather have seen Astudillo sent down. He's been an easy out for the last month. No power, no on-base skills, no eye at the plate. Dude needs to go.

Agreed. I would like him in AAA until we actually need him because of injuries. He's a liability in the line up. Period.  

• FlauerPauer and jz7233 like this

#15 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

Also our worst defensive catcher. 

• FlauerPauer, KFEY93 and jz7233 like this

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,282 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:12 AM

https://www.mlb.com/...arraez-optioned

Cruz officially activated off the IL

• glunn and dbminn like this

#17 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,591 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

Agreed. I would like him in AAA until we actually need him because of injuries. He's a liability in the line up. Period.  

Rocco doesn't seem to agree with you based on the fact that he keeps batting him 3rd.

• Dman likes this

#18 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

Everything is going right this year.

June 3 and just one player on IL -- and a middle innings reliever at that? (Did I get that right, Mejia?)

• glunn likes this

#19 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:24 AM

Everything is going right this year.

June 3 and just one player on IL -- and a middle innings reliever at that? (Did I get that right, Mejia?)

Oh, right. And Pineda, a 5th starter.

• glunn likes this

#20 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 71 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:35 AM

Rocco doesn't seem to agree with you based on the fact that he keeps batting him 3rd.

I realize that. That doesn't make him right all the time, at least in my eyes. He makes contact, but right at defenders, his numbers are awful. 

• jz7233 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: playing time, versatility, lh bat, jake cave