Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: 2019 MLB Draft Day 1 Thread

keoni cavaco matt wallner matt centerino adley rutschman
  • Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#21 markos

markos

• 1,413 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:32 AM

Question. If we were to trade #39 and nothing else, what would it get us? A late inning releiver? A mid-rotation starter? Or am I valuing too highly?

As a rough approximation, Fangraph has rated Jhoan Duran (45FV) similar to draft prospects in the 13 - 43 range. And I think Duran is equal to a pending free-agent late inning reliever or mid-rotation starter. Certainly in the ballpark. So I think you are valuing it about right.

• glunn and caninatl04 like this

#22 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 699 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

My less-than-totally-informed preference is Langeliers from Baylor. His defense is already more than good enough for MLB, and it seems like his bat has come on very strong since his hand has had some time to heal.

That said, I’ll root for whoever they pick to be successful.
  • glunn, Blake and Dman like this

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,669 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

As a rough approximation, Fangraph has rated Jhoan Duran (45FV) similar to draft prospects in the 13 - 43 range. And I think Duran is equal to a pending free-agent late inning reliever or mid-rotation starter. Certainly in the ballpark. So I think you are valuing it about right.

If the twins could trade a FV45 for a number three starter, they should do that right now.
  • glunn, adorduan and D.C Twins like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#24 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• 223 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:21 AM

Langeliers had 11 runs batted in on Saturday. I think he hit 3 homers in that game. I hope he is there for pick 13 in the first round.

• glunn, birdwatcher and Roaddog like this

#25 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,311 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

I’m not going to pretend I know anything about the mlb draft, but personally after going with 4 position players in the 1st round in the last 3 drafts I’d to see them draft the best pitcher available.
  • glunn likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#26 HrbekRules

HrbekRules

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 118 posts
  • Location1991

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

I would like to see a high ceiling college pitcher taken, granted I'm nowhere near a draft expert.There is a reason I'm commenting here on TD rather than whispering my pick into Falvey's ear!

• glunn, birdwatcher, Blake and 2 others like this

#27 clutterheart

clutterheart

• 1,621 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:58 AM

BPA!
BPA!
BPA!
  • Twins33, Roaddog, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#28 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,176 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

I’m not going to pretend I know anything about the mlb draft, but personally after going with 4 position players in the 1st round in the last 3 drafts I’d to see them draft the best pitcher available.

Catchers who can hit are at a premium, though. 

Imagine bringing someone into the system that has better tools than Garver?

• glunn likes this

#29 markos

markos

• 1,413 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

If the twins could trade a FV45 for a number three starter, they should do that right now.

So Duran for Tanner Roark, who is a FA after this season. Who says no?

• birdwatcher likes this

#30 Roaddog

Roaddog

• 257 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

No
  • caninatl04 likes this

#31 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 475 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

Unless someone unexpectedly slips in the draft, my guess for the Twins pick at #13 is Stott with the secondary option being Langeliers. If those 2 are off the board I suspect a guy like Manoah will be available.

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,220 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

Here is a mock draft showing two Minnesota kids getting drafted in the first round. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#33 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

First off, thanks so much to Andrew for lending his time, energy and talents to Twins Daily once again and providing such excellent draft coverage. It's not the easiest subject to keep on top of and analyze, so I have a ton of respect for the people who can do it well.

Secondly, I'm really excited about this! How fun is it that in the middle of such an amazing season we also get the added bonus of the Twins being able to add some really nice talent into the pipeline? I though this front office did a great job at being creative last draft and made the most of a shallow bonus pool, so I'm really pumped to see how things play out this time around. I really like what this group has done in terms of maximizing the overall potential for the entire draft class, not just the top couple picks.

• glunn, Dman, DocBauer and 1 other like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,669 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

bombas: do you see the twins cutting a deal under slot?
Keith Law: I know they’ve considered it (why not?) but I think they go slot for Stott or Langeliers.

Kedelbro: Is Wilson to Twins the backup plan if Stott/Langeliers unavailable?
Keith Law: Yeah, I think that’s about right.

Denise: I have heard that the college pitching crop is the worst in a long time, do you think this is so?
Keith Law: Absolutely. The worst I’ve ever covered/been involved in, and this is my 18th draft.

http://meadowparty.c...lawchat-6-3-19/

Edited by Mike Sixel, 03 June 2019 - 03:17 PM.

• glunn, Dman, DocBauer and 2 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#35 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:15 PM

Dave McCarty reference on the MLB Draft show!

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#36 Badmanbuxton

Badmanbuxton

Elizabethton Twins

• 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:02 PM

Callis has the Twins going Cavaco, Mayo has them going Langeliers, Fangraphs has them going Jung, Law has them taking Stott, Bleacher Report has them taking Bishop. I’d be good with any of those 5.
  • glunn, TRex, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#37 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,823 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

Dave McCarty reference on the MLB Draft show!

Ugh. Bad memories. So bad, I had to go look. Know what's unbelievable? That McCarty appeared in 632 games. 632 games as a .676 OPS'ing first baseman (and horrific corner outfielder). That's what being drafted number 3 overall does for you. People will give you about 630 more changes than you deserve.

• glunn likes this

#38 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,409 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

Not so bold prediction: one of the guys the Twins draft tonight will be ranked 200 or greater by BA, Fangraphs, MLB, or any of the other popular sites.

• glunn likes this

#39 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,990 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

Baltimore - Rutschman

• glunn likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#40 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,823 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:15 PM

Division rivals picking up next: 2, 3, and 5. The other 364 days of the year I enjoy how bad the division is.

• SQUIRREL, glunn, Twins33 and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keoni cavaco, matt wallner, matt centerino, adley rutschman