Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Week in Review: Test Passed in Tampa

jorge polanco byron buxton jake odorizzi trevor larnach
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

Man what a throw by Buxton. That looked almost doctored it was so unbelievable.
  • Danchat and D.C Twins like this

#22 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:43 PM

I will say this...after a loss this squad is laser focused on not repeating what caused the previous days loss.Off the top of my head I don't recall a losing streak of more than 2 games this season.I could certainly be wrong but one doesn't come to mind.We are seeing some really good baseball being played....really good!This line up has zero layup outs in it.Starting staff has been very solid.The pen is good but not to the level of the other facets of the game.As it stands today IMO that is where there is the most room for improvement.Taking 3 of 4 from Tampa was impressive. WIN TWINS!

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#23 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:02 PM

I will say this...after a loss this squad is laser focused on not repeating what caused the previous days loss.Off the top of my head I don't recall a losing streak of more than 2 games this season.I could certainly be wrong but one doesn't come to mind. 

Your perception is correct. The Twins have not yet had a three-game losing streak, and are 15-3 following a loss. Amazing resilience.

• Danchat and MN_ExPat like this

#24 ANDwon

ANDwon

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:22 PM

Speaking of salt, after a 4 and 2 week against Milwaukee and Tampa, with the best record in baseball, best run differential, etc etc, the Twins dropped from second to fourth in the espn power rankings. More salt = more power?
  • USAFChief, Danchat and MN_ExPat like this

#25 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

The two power rankings changes I looked at this week both show the Twins going down and the Rays and Brewers going up.

With, unsurprisingly, the Yankees moving over the Twins.

:roll:

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#26 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:52 PM

Perspective: Twins were 26-32 after 58 games last year. It's hard to believe that the present iteration of the Twins has chalked up 14 more wins at this point.

#27 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

The two power rankings changes I looked at this week both show the Twins going down and the Rays and Brewers going up.

With, unsurprisingly, the Yankees moving over the Twins.

:roll:

Ha! The Yankee love from the cabal of sports writers never ceases. I rarely check ESPN anymore (considering they are the worst IMHO), but I happened to pop over to the site yesterday. They had four articles on the Yankees and of course zero on the Twins.

Also, I read an article (I can't remember the site) about the all-star game. No Twins were mentioned as starters and only two Twins were mentioned as back-ups (Berrios and Polanco)--no mention of Schoop, Garver, Rosie, Taylor or even Odorizzi. Of course, there were loads of Yankees and Red Sox as both starters and back-ups.

#28 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:35 PM

Listened to the Ray's post game report today and wow were they trashing the Twins pitchers and saying the Ray's are better top to bottom. Said the guys we beat will be the 6, 7 & 8 SPs come August when we play again. They talked about Odorizzi throwing his usual lucky good game. I had to laugh, he has been blanking almost everyone and this is a tread and not a fluke.

Well, I think they're underselling how good we are. They did outscore us this weekend, indicating a potential sequencing issue, and they're a stats focused organization, so I see where they're coming from.

They probably saw us perhaps juggling the rotation to make sure our top guys pitched while we avoided Snell, and Glasnow who will be back soon enough.

Crohn had a big hit. They couldn't have loved that. But they see us starting their castoffs, it's hard not to feel superior. Odo has an xFIP of 4.28 and a Fip 2.80. That's because he's giving up 1/2 as many homers as last year. his ks are up with his velo, and walks are down, a great combo pointing to a real change, but the HR will come. So they're right about him getting lucky. even his FIP is up above his era by nearly a run.

I certainly don't take for granted that we're a better team now, let alone in August when Glasnow is back. I certainly hope our front office doesn't assume that either.

#29 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 03 June 2019 - 09:26 PM

This is a real nice write up by Mr. Gleeman if anyone hasn’t checked it out yet... https://t.co/WWuOZ7b4l8
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jorge polanco, byron buxton, jake odorizzi, trevor larnach