Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 6, TB 2: Marwin Carries May Success Into June, Helps Lead Twins Over Rays

marwin gonzalez kyle gibson byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,320 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:28 AM

Chicago doesn't belong in the same category as KC and Detroit - they are 2 games out of a wild-card spot at the moment.

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, Doomtints and 1 other like this

#42 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:38 AM

The Rays looked really flat yesterday, like other teams look when the Twins mash four home runs against them ... minus the four home runs.

Right now I think the only team left to fear for this team is the Yankees.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#43 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

The 2001 Mariners started something like 20-5. They ended up with an incredible 115 or something wins.

They didn't do so hot in the postseason.

Let's not get so wrapped up in the regular season record that we lose sight of what actually matters.

I read something that said that the teams that set these incredible win records almost always fall in the playoffs or in the championship, regardless of the sport. The little research I did on this suggested it's true.

Blame the 1906 Cubs for starting the trend.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#44 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,412 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

What matters in the playoffs is getting the breaks and getting hot at the right time.

That and getting good pitching. Pitching matters much more in the postseason than in the regular season. The starting rotation is reduced to four pitchers and most teams have made upgrades to their staffs via trades. The saying that good pitching will beat good hitting is not just hot air, either. Look what Verlander and Cole did to us when Houston was in town.

#45 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,412 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

A 102 win Twins team is likely inferior to a 97 win Yankees or Astros team.

Probably, but not by much.

#46 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:32 AM

Probably, but not by much.

No, probably not by much. But we should all be wary of those teams that have to go through the grinder to make the postseason.

#47 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,068 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

That and getting good pitching. Pitching matters much more in the postseason than in the regular season. The starting rotation is reduced to four pitchers and most teams have made upgrades to their staffs via trades. The saying that good pitching will beat good hitting is not just hot air, either. Look what Verlander and Cole did to us when Houston was in town.

I believe the saying is actually "good pitching beats good hitting, and vice versa."
  • Riverbrian likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#48 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:27 PM

I read something that said that the teams that set these incredible win records almost always fall in the playoffs or in the championship, regardless of the sport. The little research I did on this suggested it's true.

The research may have been conducted in 2017. :)

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#49 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,280 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:34 PM

I believe the saying is actually "good pitching beats good hitting, and vice versa."

I always heard it the other way around.

• USAFChief likes this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#50 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,266 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:43 PM

I raise my hand.  I think the Twins can make it a 100 win season almost every year. I'm so deep down this rabbit hole I'm looking for an in-patient treatment program. By the way, Betty Ford quit taking Twins fans back in 2015.  

To Brock's point, we are officially a 40 win team... 60 more to go... certainly possible, but still a lot of baseball to play.

• twinssporto likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marwin gonzalez, kyle gibson, byron buxton