Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 6, TB 2: Marwin Carries May Success Into June, Helps Lead Twins Over Rays

marwin gonzalez kyle gibson byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,412 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:04 PM

At worst, the Twins will finish the Brewers/Rays series with a 3-3 record.

It's becoming almost impossible to question this team's legitimacy. Sure, they're maybe not a 100 win team but they're a very good team that can easily get better with a couple of key acquisitions.

Being in one of the two weakest divisions in MLB and being paired with the other one in interleague play means to me that a 100-win season is a very realistic possibility.

• glunn, twinssporto and D.C Twins like this

#22 james2334

james2334

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

That's pretty much my point. They're playing like a 100 win team right now but there are still over 100 games left in the season.

The Twins are almost guaranteed to be a pretty good team, more likely a very good team. Whether they're a 100 win team is still very much in question.

I think the path to 100 wins or close is definitely possible, Especially when you consider that we have 46 more game with KC, Detroit, and Chicago. If they win 2 of every 3 of those games and go 30-16 or something close. They would just have to play a little above .500 against everyone else to get to 100. Also, Cleveland seems to be coming apart at the seems and all 4 of the teams in the division might sell at the trade deadline and could get worse then they currently are at present.

You never know because of injuries, slumps, etc. but if I was betting I would bet on us reaching 100 by years end. On the other hand if they have a 20 game lead in September they may take their foot off the pedal so who knows.

• glunn likes this

#23 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,023 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

The Twins have a losing record against just two teams this season: Yankees and Philadelphia. They have a 1-2 record against each of them so it's not as if they're getting killed by anyone.

That last Yankee game in the pouring rain wasn't a real good indicator either.  I think they can pound the Yankees when the time comes. They should have won that one against the Phillies too.  It was a strange game all the way around.

• glunn likes this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

That last Yankee game in the pouring rain wasn't a real good indicator either. I think they can pound the Yankees when the time comes. They should have won that one against the Phillies too. It was a strange game all the way around.

Yeah, my point is that the Twins have hung with everybody and beat most of them.
  • twinssporto likes this

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

Being in one of the two weakest divisions in MLB and being paired with the other one in interleague play means to me that a 100-win season is a very realistic possibility.

Without a doubt. The home field advantage will be nice but we shouldn’t be fooled by records at the end of the season. A 102 win Twins team is likely inferior to a 97 win Yankees or Astros team.
  • Danchat, Dman, adorduan and 3 others like this

#26 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 209 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:11 PM

That's pretty much my point. They're playing like a 100 win team right now but there are still over 100 games left in the season.

The Twins are almost guaranteed to be a pretty good team, more likely a very good team. Whether they're a 100 win team is still very much in question.

Actually they’re playing like a 111 win team right now. They’d be 4 games up on a team that’s playing at a 100 win pace. 538 has them pegged for 100 wins right now. They know a little more about modeling and statistics than I do, so I’ll go on record as saying they’re a 100 win team.
  • Original Whizzinator and DannySD like this

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

Actually they’re playing like a 111 win team right now. They’d be 4 games up on a team that’s playing at a 100 win pace. 538 has them pegged for 100 wins right now. They know a little more about modeling and statistics than I do, so I’ll go on record as saying they’re a 100 win team.

They were modeled to be an ~85 win team eight weeks ago.

There's still a hell of a lot of baseball left to be played, folks.

• dbminn likes this

#28 gbg

gbg

• 82 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

Raise your hand if you thought this winter we'd be arguing over whether or not the 2019 Twins would reach 100 wins.

Anyone?

• Brock Beauchamp, glunn, birdwatcher and 12 others like this

#29 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 209 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

Brock your pragmatism is getting in the way of my optimism.
  • Brock Beauchamp, USAFChief, glunn and 8 others like this

#30 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 625 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:33 PM

Yesterday was Saturday, June 1 and it was the 57th game of the year.The Twins are now 35%of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 48th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 307 home runs this season.

#31 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,023 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:34 PM

Raise your hand if you thought this winter we'd be arguing over whether or not the 2019 Twins would reach 100 wins.

Anyone?

I raise my hand.  I think the Twins can make it a 100 win season almost every year. I'm so deep down this rabbit hole I'm looking for an in-patient treatment program. By the way, Betty Ford quit taking Twins fans back in 2015.  

• Dantes929, 70charger and DocBauer like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:40 PM

Brock your pragmatism is getting in the way of my optimism.

I'm just trying to save you from the panic attack of a four game losing streak, man.

We're all riding high right now but low times will come. Thankfully, this team has been SO GOOD that the low times will likely be brief and only surrounding by good times... but they will still come none-the-less.

• glunn and DocBauer like this

#33 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 423 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

No, they're not definitely a 100 win team. No team is definitely a 100 win team on June 1st.

I find your lack of faith... disturbing Sir.

;)

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:17 PM

I find your lack of faith... disturbing Sir. ;)

The 2001 Mariners started something like 20-5. They ended up with an incredible 115 or something wins.

They didn't do so hot in the postseason.

Let's not get so wrapped up in the regular season record that we lose sight of what actually matters.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#35 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,593 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:52 PM

The 2001 Mariners started something like 20-5. They ended up with an incredible 115 or something wins.

They didn't do so hot in the postseason.

Let's not get so wrapped up in the regular season record that we lose sight of what actually matters.

Which is????  As far as baseball goes what really matters in the regular season is qualifying for the playoffs. What matters in the playoffs is getting the breaks and getting hot at the right time.You can't win October games in June so I am not losing sight of what actually matters (if I understood your implication that it is playoffs that actually matters) because I am not even looking at it. Enjoy the journey. The destination is unknowable. BTW, I think being a Mariners fan in 2001 would have been a fun ride. I know 2006 was one of my favorite years being a Twins fan even though we got bounced in 3 games.   

• SQUIRREL, Riverbrian and Nine of twelve like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#36 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,589 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:12 AM

Is this a thing?: Marwin “More Win” Gonzalez.

Also, let’s see if the Twins can pull off the same trick they did against Houston earlier: win a four game series while scoring fewer runs. This series, the Rays have outscored the Twins 19-14. (Actually, I think the Twins and Astros scored the same number of runs in that four game set. I’d take a five-run victory today...)

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,266 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:35 AM

The Twins have a losing record against just two teams this season: Yankees and Philadelphia. They have a 1-2 record against each of them so it's not as if they're getting killed by anyone.

That's the extent of their slumps too. I don't believe they've had a losing week yet. This is a good team.

Like you said earlier, they could use some pitching help, especially if they want a shot at a ring... but this is a very good team.

#38 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 209 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:07 AM

At this point, what really matters to me is that this is the most fun probably since that magical Liriano summer.

We gotta enjoy the ride though. Don’t get too many seasons in this market where we have legitimate claim to “best team in the sport” for any length of time.
  • birdwatcher, 70charger, SwainZag and 3 others like this

#39 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 584 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

Can I just say it's nice having Marwin on this team? He's just one cool dude. There is only one position he can't play (catcher...I think he can't play it...can he?). I'm sure he could pitch an inning the next time we lose in a rout.
  • SQUIRREL likes this

#40 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,419 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:28 AM

Last Monday I thought if the Twins split with Milwaukee and Tampa, then took 2 of 3 against Cleveland, it would be a great 9 game stretch.Split with Milwaukee...check; Split with Tampa...check, with a chance of winning the four game series.Then on to Cleveland.

This team shows no sign of letting up from playing at the highest level.Key injuries, Sano, Garver and Cruz, haven't caused them to miss a beat.Will they maintain this pace for the rest of the season, not likely.But we also wouldn't have expected them to maintain it for the first two months.So let's stay buckled in for what might be a heck of a ride!

• 70charger and Dman like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: marwin gonzalez, kyle gibson, byron buxton