Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Sano NOT named top prospect in Midwest League by BA

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

http://www.baseballa...12/2614127.html

Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario were among the Top 20 Prospects in the Midwest League according to Baseball America. Some surprise that Sano was not the #1 prospect.

#2 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Baez is a beast, but I'm actually surprised that Lindor wasn't number 1.

#3 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Only #2? Cut him!

#4 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

I have no problem with Baez in the top spot. Both will probably be in the top 25 overall so this isn't a slight imo.

Lindor is a really good prospect but some aren't as excited about his offensive upside. i would put him at #3 easily. It's kind of disappointing that Rosario is that low but that is a pretty talented group on that list.

#5 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Seth, if you recall the conversation that happened while I was discovering that "Trampoline" was an Olympic sport (which I'm guessing you do!), I'm not at all surprised that Baez was ranked higher than Sano.

The most troubling part of today's report was that Rosario sticking at 2B is being viewed as a long-shot.

The chat did mention Michael Tonkin as a sleeper RP... that's at least the 3rd place I've read that has called him something of that sort.

#6 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

callis' reasoning is sound. he thinks baez has a legit chance to stay at ss and the bat speed is special. makes sense for him to edge out sano, imo, though sano's 80 bb's give him a different element.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Seth, if you recall the conversation that happened while I was discovering that "Trampoline" was an Olympic sport (which I'm guessing you do!), I'm not at all surprised that Baez was ranked higher than Sano.

The most troubling part of today's report was that Rosario sticking at 2B is being viewed as a long-shot.

The chat did mention Michael Tonkin as a sleeper RP... that's at least the 3rd place I've read that has called him something of that sort.

Which is the problem with today's internet media. Everyone reads the same reports and it influences the next guy's ranking/opinion. I wonder how many minor league "experts" actually watch video of these guys let alone see them in person? I'll bet plenty of the guru's have no more first hand knowledge then the rest of the rubes on the internet; they check out stat lines and other people's rankings to form their opinions.

To be clear, I'm not calling out Jim Callis, but trying to show why rankings and projections are so similar among the different analysts.

Edited by nicksaviking, 04 October 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Rosario being an OF would really dampen my excitement about the hitters in this system. They have no infielders at all, and no pitchers at all. They need someone to step up and take over.
Lighten up Francis....

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

BA forms its opinions not by scouting or reading stuff on the internet but by talking to a giant network of scouts and FO types. It's not a perfect system but they aren't just copying what others are saying. they do try to see a lot of games and watch video but that isn't the focus of their methodology.