Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 5, TB 3: Twins Rally, Top Rays Late

jose berrios taylor rogers eddie rosario willians astudillo jorge polanco
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 569 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:40 AM

Weren't there similar rules at the metrodome? I seem to remember that the lights on the roof were considered in play.

Possibly. I never got to see a Twins game at the metrodome (grew up in NC). Caught Vikings games there twice when visiting, which was fun, but I'm not really certain how the park played for baseball

Edited by TFRazor, 01 June 2019 - 05:42 AM.

#22 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 743 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:54 AM

Aside from the fact that the ball was going to be a home run — his second home run at that field Sano has not gotten credit for! — how in the world can they allow the ball to be catchable after it hits a speaker? You can’t catch a ball off the wall and record an out. At a minimum it shouldn’t be an out. What would make more sense is a ground rule double...or even a ground rule triple. Dumb place, dumb rule. I’d like to see the projected distance of that one. (The one a few years back was mammoth.)

Baseball Savant says this Sano's speaker shot:

EV LA Dist Vel xBA
97.8 46 325 88.9 .020

What a joke. Good thing it didn't cost the Twins the victory. I still feel Twins fans cannot complain too much as our old stadium had the same issues.

#23 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,799 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:19 AM

Another dead horse to beat, but are there any signs of a Cruz return?

ESPN's Marly Rivera reported yesterday: "Nelson Cruz (wrist) told me that he felt "the best" he has felt after hitting in the cage at Tropicana Field (Thursday). Cruz also said he'll take regular batting practice on Friday, and depending on how he feels, the team will make a decision as to whether he'll be activated off the IL."

#24 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 208 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

Ball was definitely live in the dome. That iconic Eddie guardado catch off the speaker comes to mind.

#25 spycake

spycake

• 16,548 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:47 AM

how in the world can they allow the ball to be catchable after it hits a speaker? You can’t catch a ball off the wall and record an out.

I think the theory is that it would be hard to tell whether something was hit by the roof -- this one was pretty obvious, but others can be more subtle. And players and managers would be arguing for a lot more if they knew it was a judgment call that would change the result of the play.

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,584 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

Really nice performance and win by the good guys! Sure glad I didn't panic after Thursday's game.
  • Dman, MN_ExPat and rdehring like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,720 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:34 AM

So are the ChiSox now the Twins' most serious competition in the Central?

• Danchat, Dman and Original Whizzinator like this

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,353 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

I seem to recall Greg Gagne making two catches of balls that bounced off the Metrodome roof.

#29 aapatton70

aapatton70

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

Eddie's catch off of the metrodome ceiling. 

https://youtu.be/WCAvAI38l5g

• Jerr and Oldgoat_MN like this

#30 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 619 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

Yesterday was Friday, May 31 and it was the 56th game of the year.The Twins are now 35%of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 48th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 307 home runs this season.

• Jerr and DocBauer like this

#31 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 576 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

ESPN's Marly Rivera reported yesterday: "Nelson Cruz (wrist) told me that he felt "the best" he has felt after hitting in the cage at Tropicana Field (Thursday). Cruz also said he'll take regular batting practice on Friday, and depending on how he feels, the team will make a decision as to whether he'll be activated off the IL."

Thanks so much for the update!

Edited by Aerodeliria, 01 June 2019 - 08:52 AM.

#32 Dman

Dman

• 1,663 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

I have to say when the Rays were up 3 to 1 I was thinking maybe we just can't compete with the East teams.I was glad when they turned it around and found a way to win.OUr players chased some horrible pitches, looking at you Rosario and Astudillo and yet those two both came through in the clutch.As long as our pitching holds this is going to be a special team.

Stinks that Sano got robbed of a Home Run.I think Domes and Baseball don't really go well together.

• Jerr likes this

#33 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,573 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

One of the hardest hit balls I've ever seen was a David Ortiz single in the metrodome. Ball hit off a speaker but it looked like it would have traveled 600 feet in open air.  

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#34 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,573 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

Baseball Savant says this Sano's speaker shot: EV LA Dist Vel xBA 97.8 46 325 88.9 .020 What a joke. Good thing it didn't cost the Twins the victory. I still feel Twins fans cannot complain too much as our old stadium had the same issues.

Did I read that right?  I don't think a 325 foot ball should be a home run anyway.

• Jerr, Danchat, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

#35 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,253 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:03 AM

Did I read that right?  I don't think a 325 foot ball should be a home run anyway.

Depends... was the speaker 325 feet from the plate? If so, that would have been a mammoth shot in an open air stadium.

#36 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 906 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

Eddie's catch off of the metrodome ceiling.

https://youtu.be/WCAvAI38l5g

Dick ever the company man slinging the hyperbole.

#37 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,573 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:58 PM

Depends... was the speaker 325 feet from the plate? If so, that would have been a mammoth shot in an open air stadium.

I assumed everything was measured to give an estimate of how far the ball would have gone. The left fielder looked like he thought he had a bead on it near the fence but that fence is only 315 feet which again, to me seems really shallow for a home run.  My own soap box but I don't think anything less than 350 feet should be a home run no matter the field and nothing less than 380 for the gaps and center.

#38 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,613 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

Weren't there similar rules at the metrodome? I seem to remember that the lights on the roof were considered in play.

Yep. I can’t recall the specifics but if certain things were hit in the dome (I think speakers were one), the ball was still in play.

#39 Aichiman

Aichiman

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:16 PM

Possibly. I never got to see a Twins game at the metrodome (grew up in NC). Caught Vikings games there twice when visiting, which was fun, but I'm not really certain how the park played for baseball

I've never seen 'em play at Target Field.I left the Minneapolis in 1999.

#40 hybridbear

hybridbear

Realistic Member

• 487 posts
  • LocationNicaragua

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:23 AM

How did Astudillo have a positive WPA when he made a couple of poor plays? He was thrown out at home because he forgot that he's a tortuga who thinks he's a hare and he didn't run hard. And then he gave up a run on the double steal by throwing to second and everyone was safe. I thought in that situation you're supposed to just give up the stolen base to protect the plate.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, taylor rogers, eddie rosario, willians astudillo, jorge polanco