Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Draft "Dodging"

draft 2019 draft
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jarends703

Jarends703

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

I don't want to read through the MLB rules for this so here goes:

What prevents a team from drafting a player, signing them to an ultra low bonus, and then paying them a higher wage in the minors? This subverts the bonus pool system but still compensates the player.Agents might be wary but teams have been pushing the slot bonus rules for their whole existence.  

• operation mindcrime likes this

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,638 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

I believe minor leaguers are paid on a scale set by MLB league office. I don't think a team can deviate from those set wages until a player becomes a milb free agent.

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,333 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

You could sign them to an extension, but I think that would require a 40-man roster spot so you'd start burning options as soon as the deal was signed. And there is a prohibition on signing draft picks to MLB contracts now, so you'd have to wait a while to do it (a year after the draft, perhaps? not sure exactly, although this must be codified somewhere).

I'm guessing teams would be loath to agree to this, because the guys with the most leverage to make such a demand would be high schoolers, and they are especially risky / far away from MLB. A lot could go wrong with a high school draftee in just one year.

An assurance to put a guy on a (relative) fast track to the majors would probably accomplish mostly the same thing, as far as convincing a guy to sign. Maybe the Nationals did something like that with Giolito, it seems like they promoted him pretty quickly once he was healthy (although Giolito could have also seen their aggressive promotions for Harper and Strasburg and figured those odds on his own, without any special assurance).

#4 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,642 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:26 PM

I believe the rules are players must be paid minimum wage for 40 hours per week. That’s Federal law not a contractual obligation.

The Blue Jays are paying their minor leaguers more, but it’s not contingent of their draft bonus.

The draft bonuses are slotted and each team is allotted their pool based on the slot rates of their first 10 rounds. Teams negotiate with the player on the bonus amount, but I haven’t seen evidence of salary impacting bonus. Maybe that’s the Blue Jay’s strategy. We pay all of our minor leaguers twice as much salary as other teams. “If you sign your contract with us for slightly less bonus than you might elsewhere, you’ll take home a much larger check.”

https://www.thecubre...xport/html/3554

https://www.axios.co...e0cb98745f.html

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,333 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

Maybe that’s the Blue Jay’s strategy. We pay all of our minor leaguers twice as much salary as other teams. “If you sign your contract with us for slightly less bonus than you might elsewhere, you’ll take home a much larger check.”

Although it's not as if draftees are free to sign elsewhere. I guess some could re-enter the draft in a later year, but that decision surely doesn't hinge on nominal bonus/salary differences.
  • Sconnie and operation mindcrime like this

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:14 PM

I don't want to read through the MLB rules for this so here goes:

What prevents a team from drafting a player, signing them to an ultra low bonus, and then paying them a higher wage in the minors? This subverts the bonus pool system but still compensates the player.Agents might be wary but teams have been pushing the slot bonus rules for their whole existence.  

A player would just have to say no. There are rules in place for the minimum amount that must be offered in the first three rounds to recover a draft pick the following year, and it'd be foolish to go below that.

While there is no set minor league pay scale as each team determines that on their own, the reason the Blue Jays were more free is that they are in Canada and MLB pushed for legislation in the US that made it legal to pay far below minimum wage for minor league players. That said, the Jays' bumps are still incredibly low pay, as in a player who shows up in February, spends time at spring training and then extended spring before joining a short-season A-ball league and then follows up by attending fall instructs will spend from early February until mid-September/early-October under the team's control, but for significant amount of time in there they aren't being paid (spring training/extended spring/instructs are all unpaid), and being in a non-full league is very low on the pay scale, so it's entirely feasible that player would spend 8 months of their year working full-time in order to earn $3,000. With the Jays' bump, they're up to $4,500 for that 8 months, which is definitely better, but it's still not even $600 per month.

What I'm saying is that the minuscule impact that $1,000 more in the first two years or even $5-6K more in upper level minors will be is not going to replace a slot signing bonus in the first two days of the draft.

• Oldgoat_MN and operation mindcrime like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft, 2019 draft