Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 5, MIL 3: Smeltzer Shines in Emotional MLB Debut

devin smeltzermax kepler eddie rosario blake parker taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:52 PM

After being diagnosed with cancer at age 9, I don’t suppose much would faze him.

#82 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,300 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:57 PM

I remember when I was younger and the broadcast would cut away to the parents of a player getting interviewed in the stands, I'd think they were just killing time with some dopey hubbub for the grandmothers who were watching the game to talk about in their sewing circles the next day.

Now they make me cry and I wish they'd spend the whole damn inning with the parents.

In all seriousness... This is what baseball needs right now... this very second and shouldn't wait until tomorrow. 

They need to market their players and their stories. Baseball sucks at this. 

The baseball audience is primarily old white and male. They are not going to grow trying to get more old, white and male audiences. They will grow by reaching all the others.

Telling the stories of players will help baseball reach new audiences.

My wife will sit and watch Survivor, the Bachelor and the Voice just to see who gets voted off. She watches the produced biographies of each contestant and she listens to what they have to say and why these moments are important to them and she lets those production pieces determine who she wants to get chosen and then she watches to see who gets chosen. 

While my wife watches these shows... I tell her that Baseball has all of this ten times over. Players are voted off the island all the time but baseball does a crappy job of telling their stories and as a result... declining numbers and poor name recognition beyond the baseball fan elite. 

I told my wife about Smeltzer surviving cancer as a 9 year old... She listened to his parents being interviewed... She watched the game and cared about Smeltzer. 

I love the Smeltzer story but there are a lot of stories that need to be told. Tell them and baseball has a chance of increasing it's audience base. 

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking, Madisonsdad and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#83 TribeAZ13

TribeAZ13

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Banned
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

In all seriousness... This is what baseball needs right now... this very second and shouldn't wait until tomorrow. 

The baseball audience is primarily old white and male. They are not going to grow trying to get more old, white and male audiences. They will grow by reaching all the others.

My wife will sit and watch Survivor, the Bachelor and the Voice just to see who gets voted off. She watches the produced biographies of each contestant and she listens to what they have to say and why these moments are important to them and she lets those production pieces determine who she wants to get chosen and then she watches to see who gets chosen. 

While my wife watches these shows... I tell her that Baseball has all of this ten times over. Players are voted off the island all the time but baseball does a crappy job of telling their stories and as a result... declining numbers and poor name recognition beyond the baseball fan elite. 

I told my wife about Smeltzer surviving cancer as a 9 year old... She listened to his parents being interviewed... She watched the game and cared about Smeltzer. 

I love the Smeltzer story but there are a lot of stories that need to be told. Tell them and baseball has a chance of increasing it's audience base. 

well said... and kudos for getting the wife to watch baseball with u...andrea would not watch a single second with me, tho i did get her to jump on the Cavs bandwagon when Lebron dragged my talentless cavs to the finals last yr...she hates sports and prob hates me a little for loving them :) lol

• Riverbrian, Madisonsdad and MN_ExPat like this

#84 spanman2

spanman2

• 263 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

Im honored to provide comedic relief to my Twin fan buddies, lol

IALTO

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#85 TribeAZ13

TribeAZ13

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Banned
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

IALTO

Hey! No using acronym internet speak, btw...lol.....wait, nm.....ahhh! ive been infected by milleniall-itis :)

• ashbury likes this

#86 wallyrichards

wallyrichards

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 57 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

IMO the issues with Rodgers and Parker have more to do with how much and when they are used. In our last series with Detroit we had a chance to sweep them but in the lone loss Roco refused to use Rodgers in the eighth inning instead going with someone else. Detroit ended up winning the game when Roco should've brought Rodgers in to pitch the 8th and Parker to pitch the ninth. Unwritten rule is when you're at home and the game is tied you use your set up man and closer like you're a head. ON the road you don't use the set up man and closer until yo have the lead. At home you use them when its tied because you have the last at bat. This is the way its been for the last 15 to 20 years. Now you have last night and IMO Roco should've left the young kid in there to pitch at least one more inning. And now he's flip flopping the relievers all over the place. Bringing in Parker before Rodgers and it's starting to screw with these guys. You could see the relievers were more than a little disgruntled. This is a good team Roco just needs to not trip them up and we'll be going to the playoffs. I understand the pitchers need there rest and I'm ok with the 100 pitch count for the starters but when you start pulling them after only 60 some pitches while pitching a shut out you have to wonder if it's set them up for failure down the road. On the positive Smeltzer pitched his hiney off. I love those types of pitchers. It isn't how hard you throw it and he beats them with great control. Throwing strikes and hitting the corners. I'd like to see them recall HIldenberger and send May down. 

#87 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,759 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

Hey! No using acronym internet speak, btw...lol.....wait, nm.....ahhh! ive been infected by milleniall-itis :)

Not just millenials. You probably haven't had occasion to read the site's Comment Policy, which contains this passage written by an old fart:

If it looks like it was typed on your phone keypad upside-down after one too many adult beverages, orwithoutspacingandparagraphbreaksresultinginawalloftext, or with SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS, or with too many abbreviations and overly obscure "text-speak", it stands a chance of being deleted by the moderators, lol;#omg;rofl@u.
  • MN_ExPat and TribeAZ13 like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#88 TribeAZ13

TribeAZ13

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Banned
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

Not just millenials. You probably haven't had occasion to read the site's Comment Policy, which contains this passage written by an old fart:

BAHAHAHAHA, that is amazing...u guys are all great

• ashbury and MN_ExPat like this

#89 adorduan

adorduan

• 701 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:36 PM

Great feel good story for Smeltzer and the Twins.Fun to see him have a great start.Not to be a Debbie Downer but to me his stuff looks really fringy.Kind of like a Tommy Milone.His delivery might make it look a little faster but if teams see him more than once, it probably won't go well. Hope i'm wrong.

#90 twinsguy45

twinsguy45

Elizabethton Twins

• 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:02 PM

Okay. That’s my favorite Twins game in years.

Me too. Well at least since the middle of the first inning of the WC game un 2017... :)

#91 Moosa105

Moosa105

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:58 AM

They are pretty much polar opposites in everything from pitching style to build.I may be missing sarcasm because there probably couldn't be two pitchers more different.

The only thing they have some similarity in is maybe the pitching motion and the way that motion kind of hides the ball and slings around their body before reaching their release point causing hitters to struggle to time pitches well.

Sarcasm guys, sarcasm.

#92 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 774 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

Great story! Congrats to Smeltzer on a fantastic almost storybook-like debut (getting a win would have been sweet, but hey, you can't have it all!). But Buxton bouncing off the outfield wall again causes my heart to skip a beat. I DON'T want to see him injured again.

#93 jctwins

jctwins

• 419 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

Let's not cry too much for Swarzak, who's still pitching (poorly last night for another new team). A second-rounder making it 11 years, accumulating 4.8 WAR, albeit with 8 different teams.

Not sure I wouldn't take that deal if I was Smeltzer and it was offered.

But yeah, great story and game, so fun.

Good point.

#94 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,931 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:59 AM

Baldelli stated during his interview that the current plan was for Smeltzer staying with the team and getting another start. I suppose it will be at Cleveland. I suppose the plans could change too.

I don’t see any reason not to push everyone back, give the starters a break during the coming off-days, and letting Smeltzer stick in a five man rotation to see what he can do.

The team has a 9.5 game lead in May. They can afford to take small risks in hopes it improves the team for the rest of the season.
  • MMMordabito likes this

#95 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,931 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

Great feel good story for Smeltzer and the Twins. Fun to see him have a great start. Not to be a Debbie Downer but to me his stuff looks really fringy. Kind of like a Tommy Milone. His delivery might make it look a little faster but if teams see him more than once, it probably won't go well. Hope i'm wrong.

I agree but the kid sounds like he may be the type who will press on until he succeeds.

It’s worth a couple of starts to find out more.
  • adorduan likes this

#96 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,033 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

I enjoy hearing the stories as long as it doesn't take away from viewing the game.

Devin Smeltzer likely wants to be a major league baseball player that happened to beat cancer when he was 9.He likely doesn't want to be the cancer kid who plays baseball.

It seemed a bit awkward for Devin's dad to cheer for his son making a nice play on a weak groundball with Marni and a mic in his face.

Again, it's a great story.It's obvious that what didn't kill him made him stronger and all that good stuff, but I think people like Morris take it too far.He just keeps adding to his resume of being the worst option as a color analyst.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: devin smeltzermax kepler, eddie rosario, blake parker, taylor rogers