Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: MIN 5, MIL 3: Smeltzer Shines in Emotional MLB Debut

devin smeltzermax kepler eddie rosario blake parker taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,142 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:19 AM

6 IP and we already won the Dozier trade. 

The Dozier trade was won simply by his departure. Schoop's success is frosting. This is piling on.

• Jerr, nokomismod, TheLeviathan and 9 others like this

#22 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,142 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:20 AM

I didn't get to watch the game. Smeltzer was obviously cruising, so why did he get pulled after 6 innings?

I think he was just gassed. 

#23 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,773 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:32 AM

The bullpen is usually the hardest part of the game for a manager to learn to negotiate. Overall, I do agree that Rocco has done well with his pen. He had some early bumps, but he appears to have learned from them. I would think that he'll learn from letting guys sit too long without game action too. That job gets a bit more difficult when the starters are as effective as they have been. Talk about good problem to have. He's a rookie manager, there will be some learning involved. 

Also, congrats to Smeltzer. Heck of a debut. I look forward to seeing what your future holds!

• brvama, bunt_vs_the_shift and EPEZRider like this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#24 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,881 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:39 AM

Twins may have something with Smeltzer here. Think about some of the other debuts of recent AAA guys: Stewart, Gonsalves, Littell....last night's performance reminded me more of what Romero was doing last year in his first appearances. Smeltzer just may stick.

That said, regardless of what his MLB future holds, the kid is playing with house money. He's already beaten the toughest opponent he'll ever face. Awesome job last night, what a story and it was great to see his family supporting him big time. They were emotional and proud of him. Too cool.

Buxton almost had that catch. Chief was right, this game felt almost like a playoff game or at the very least a late-season important game. Crowd was into it, good fight from both teams. Overall an entertaining little series for sure.

• brvama, Madisonsdad, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#25 big dog

big dog

• 2,970 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:43 AM

Used to kill me how Molitor would use his best RP's in a 4-5 run deficit game in the hopes of a comeback. 

Good point, but...I'm struggling to remember the last time Baldelli had a 4-5 run deficit to worry about.Maybe he'll get to make that mistake himself but he's not had many opportunities so far.

What a season.

• Jerr, woolywoolhouse, gagu and 1 other like this

#26 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 961 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

How about keeping Yelich to one sac fly RBI in the series! Go Twins!
  • Madisonsdad, 70charger, big dog and 4 others like this

#27 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 745 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:51 AM

Baldelli has done a fine job managing the bullpen. But honestly, the starters have made the job a lot easier in 2019. The Twins have the 2nd fewest IP by a bullpen this year.Add another 40 IP for the RP and Baldelli's job gets tougher.

• birdwatcher, Danchat, Dman and 4 others like this

#28 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,325 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:00 AM

I noticed that all of the runs the Twins scored were earned...I thought there was an error on the throw to second that contributed to the five runs...it's a curious curiosity.

I didn't see the play, but it appears that the play was ruled a fielders choice on the grounder, suggesting that the scorer placed Castro at second in reconstructing the inning. The doink-off-the-helmet error allowed Castro to advance to third and Astudillo to second. But because Kepler and Cron doubled, the runs would have scored anyway, so the error didn't make a difference in the scoring. 

• 70charger, woolywoolhouse, Dman and 3 others like this

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,991 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:00 AM

Last year the bullpen was over used. This year the bullpen is under used. 

I've have some friends who are farmers and it is either not raining enough or raining too much. 

• Jerr, brvama, Madisonsdad and 8 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,991 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:03 AM

After watching Smeltzer last night. 

This morning I'm thinking."I really love baseball". 

• luckylager, birdwatcher, jokin and 6 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#31 oldguywithanitch

oldguywithanitch

Elizabethton Twins

• 45 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:16 AM

Not only were the starting pitchers outstanding but so was the home plate umpire. He was very consistent and did a great job calling strikes on the edges. IMO
  • luckylager, birdwatcher, Madisonsdad and 5 others like this

#32 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,427 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:20 AM

What a wonderful first start for Smeltzer.Need to see more, but he just might be part of the answer for 2020 and beyond.

Looking at that bullpen usage chart, it sure appears there is no reason for this team to not cut back to 12 pitchers when Cruz/Garver come off the IL.  

• Madisonsdad, jokin, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#33 drbob524

drbob524

• 136 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:29 AM

Putting the Smetlzer stuff aside (its an amazing story and I got choked up when they talked to his parents, but I have nothing new to add to it) that was a fun ball game to watch. Both teams had chances, both pitchers locked down with RISP. Twins got a lucky bounce (off of Castro's helmet) and took advantage of it. Brewers tried to come back, but couldnt. It was just a fun game to watch. I like #Bombas as well, but sometimes a tense, close game is a nice change of pace. 

• birdwatcher, brvama, 70charger and 3 others like this

#34 HrbieFan

HrbieFan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 59 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

What a game he pitched! Some of his KO pitches were just downright nasty! I'm sure teams will make adjustments and back off those breaking balls, but it will be hard for batters to do so. Is it 7 runs he has given up across 3 levels this year, that is amazing!
  • birdwatcher and MN_ExPat like this

#35 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,184 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:38 AM

Okay. That’s my favorite Twins game in years.

Mine too.

• MN_ExPat and rdehring like this

#36 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 927 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:48 AM

Fun game and crisp at 2:40. Smeltzer just goes to work and we may just have something there. I would like to see one more and give him another week with Wes. He is one guy I do not see using in the pen. For me he makes better sense as much needed rotation depth.
  • birdwatcher, brvama, 70charger and 3 others like this

#37 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,948 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

Fun game and crisp at 2:40. Smeltzer just goes to work and we may just have something there. I would like to see one more and give him another week with Wes. He is one guy I do not see using in the pen. For me he makes better sense as much needed rotation depth.

Yeah. And well, the entire Twins braintrust look like freaking geniuses right about now.

I mean, how can you write a script like this for Smeltzer, and then come out smelling like a rose for the weekend series with the Rays?

• birdwatcher, Jerr, Major League Ready and 4 others like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#38 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,172 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:59 AM

With Buxton exiting, Rocco put Gonzalez in left, Eddie in right, and Kepler in center. In previous games, with the same three outfielders, Rocco put Gonzalez in right. This was the configuration I expected (Gonzalez has very little experience in RF). Has there been any word why the moves were made last night?

#39 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

Better game tonight. Especially with less Brewers fans in the stands. Hearing Lets go Brewers and MVP chants when Yelich was up was nauseating. I despise everything Wisconsin sports. 

• drbob524 and 70charger like this

#40 Moosa105

Moosa105

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

Call me crazy, but I see a lot of Chris Sale in Smeltzer. Thoughts?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: devin smeltzermax kepler, eddie rosario, blake parker, taylor rogers