Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Place Michael Pineda on DL, Devin Smeltzer Recalled

michael pineda martin perez devin smeltzer
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,530 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

I don't think of it as a ploy as much as preventative maintenance in responding to the early signs of an overuse injury (which can be knee as much as arm).

But it's also okay to be strategic and say that the schedule makes it make sense to take the rest now compared to trying to force one more outing.

I also get the sense that Rocco (and others in management) have the kind of demeanor that would even allow him to go to Pineda (and his agent) and say, "Mike, you're coming back from TJS and the knee issues at the end of last year. Guys in that situation have a tough time getting through the season without missing a start. Sometimes guys try to force it and they end up with a more significant injury. Let's brainstorm together about the most strategic time to take a well-planned rest, and it will benefit us both. You will stay healthier, which makes us a better team, and being able to pitch through the season will help your chances of getting that multi-year contract you're striving for. And by the way, when we get to August and you've indeed demonstrated to us that you're going to be healthy for the long haul, we've demonstrated to you that we are indeed concerned about your long-term health, and we're both lining ourselves up for the playoffs, let's sit down and talk about an extension."  

This is a really good post.

#82 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,626 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:02 PM

Looks like Pineda might be missing more than one start after Smeltzer deals 6 innings.
  • Dman, DannySD and Nine of twelve like this

#83 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,710 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

I may be the only writer who is happy to have someone else take Pineda's place.It seems like we constantly read - except for one bad inning, after "X" innings he did great.Well those X innings count and Pineda has not been the veteran that I hoped for and I am happy to have some experiments with the prospects - I am a believer that Pineda could do a very serviceable job in the pen. 

• Doomtints likes this

#84 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

It's not really 3 UTIL guys, though, at least not in a redundant sense. Marwin covers OF/1B. With all 3, you can let Marwin do his OF/1B thing, you can spot start Adrianza or Arraez in the middle infield, and still have the other one available for pinch running (for Cruz/Sano/Cron/catcher).

Marwin covers everywhere. But from what I've seen, he's a better IF than OF...

basically we are knit picking. comes down to...do you like Schoop or Listerine more? Both work. 

• DannySD likes this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#85 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,767 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:15 PM

Michael "Wally Pipp" Pineda.

• 70charger likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#86 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:29 AM

Great game last night. I wonder if Smeltzer will stick around? They could certainly stick to a 5 man rotation despite the off days. Smeltzer would be in line to start the opening game in Cleveland next Tuesday. Although one would have to imagine that Cruz and/or Garver would be activated by then too, which could mean two of Arraez, Astudillo, and Littell have to get optioned to AAA. (Hopefully Buxton stays off the IL!)

#87 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 902 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:49 AM

I may be the only writer who is happy to have someone else take Pineda's place.It seems like we constantly read - except for one bad inning, after "X" innings he did great.Well those X innings count and Pineda has not been the veteran that I hoped for and I am happy to have some experiments with the prospects - I am a believer that Pineda could do a very serviceable job in the pen. 

What a year, we can complain about the Twins 5th starter who has went at least 5 innings in 9 of his 10 starts (not going to include his 1 start)

In May made 5 starts, pitched 30 (5 BB/28 K) innings with a 4.50 ERA

• Mike Sixel, 70charger, WLFINN and 1 other like this

#88 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,710 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

What a year, we can complain about the Twins 5th starter who has went at least 5 innings in 9 of his 10 starts (not going to include his 1 start)

In May made 5 starts, pitched 30 (5 BB/28 K) innings with a 4.50 ERA

That is true- of course now that we have established greater expectations I want each position to be at its best!

• Tomj14 likes this

#89 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,767 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

They like 8 man bullpens more than 13 man staffs. And they'd still have an 8 man bullpen, even if they optioned Smeltzer and activated a position player for a few days.

That could be how it plays out for a few days. I was probably looking more at the big picture, two position players coming off the IL and two going down, and if the discussion was the inside-baseball aspect of taking advantage of a momentary lull in the need for pitching, then I whiffed.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, martin perez, devin smeltzer