Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Place Michael Pineda on DL, Devin Smeltzer Recalled

michael pineda martin perez devin smeltzer
  • Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Minnesota announced on Tuesday morning that Michael Pineda is being placed on the 10-day injured list due to right knee tendinitis. In a corresponding move, Devin Smeltzer was added to the 40-man roster and he will be scheduled to make his big-league debut on Tuesday night against MilwaukeeMichael Pineda had one bad inning last night, but he rolled through the rest of his innings. He didn’t appear to be in any discomfort last night. It was his four consecutive quality start. He won’t be eligible to come off the DL until June 7. Currently, the Twins have two scheduled off days before June 7. This could mean the team uses a four-man rotation until Pineda is available to return.

Pineda has made 11 starts this season and he has a 5.34 ERA. He missed all of last season while recovering from Tommy John surgery and a torn meniscus, which was also in his right knee.

Smeltzer’s start on Tuesday might be a little bit of a surprise. He’s has been dominating in the minor leagues, Martin Perez was scheduled to start on Tuesday. This might be a sign that he isn’t fully healthy either. The Twins have been rolling so far this year and the rotation has exceeded all expectations. At some point, injuries were going to happen and now the club will have to rely on other pieces in the organization.

Smeltzer came to the Twins from the Dodgers organization as part of the Brian Dozier trade last year. He dominated in four starts at Double-A to start the year as he went 3-1 with a 0.60 ERA. He struck out 33 in only 30 innings on the mound. Since being promoted to Rochester, he has a 1.82 ERA during four starts.

Seth did a Get to Know You episode with Smeltzer last week. He is taking the 40-man roster spot that had been occupied by Austin Adams. You can listen to the 23 minute podcast here:

What are your thoughts on the injury situation? Should fans be worried about Perez as well? Leave a COMMENT and start the discussion.

Click here to view the article
  • nicksaviking likes this
Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#2 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,528 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

Very happy for Devin Smeltzer!

It seems likely that the Pineda move was executed, in large part, to take advantage of the upcoming off days to push all starters back a day (not just Perez). It puts them in a position to go with 4 fresh starters for the next couple of weeks...and also gives Pineda time to work on whatever physical things he needs to. It's the type of move that can pay dividends down the line, and the type of decision made easier with the confidence of a 10-game lead heading into June.

• birdwatcher, brvama, Riverbrian and 8 others like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,958 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

As is the case with most young pitchers who don’t miss many bats, my expectations are pretty low for Smeltzer. Though he was getting good strikeout numbers in AA. Maybe Wes Johnson has some ideas.

Regardless, go get Devin, and keep rocking the Kent Tekulve look!
  • Dman and David HK like this

#4 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,506 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

Well that's sure a surprise.Could Perez be battling the same illness that Kepler and others had over the weekend?

I guess we will see what Smeltzer can do on the big stage.  

• MN_ExPat likes this

#5 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

I mentioned in the other thread, but before this move, Pineda was on pace for 171.2 innings for the season, right around his career high (and way more than he's pitched the last 2 years, obviously!).

Perez was on a similar near-career-high pace, since moving back into the rotation -- 193.1 innings. And Perez had a low innings year last year too, plus new mechanics/velocity this year.

I wonder if they've been planning this for a few days -- Smelzter wasn't scheduled to start in AAA today, but presumably he could have already adjusted his throw day in preparation for this start.

Edited by spycake, 28 May 2019 - 10:47 AM.

• jokin, MN_ExPat and Nine of twelve like this

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,350 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

Obviously a move to showcase Smelzer in preparation for a Scherzer trade.

• ashbury, Thrylos, Blake and 15 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#7 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Obviously a move to showcase Smelzer in preparation for a Scherzer trade.

It scherly smeltz like that.

• ashbury, jimbo92107, Twins33 and 10 others like this

#8 TheMatt

TheMatt

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Rocco said on mlb radio expecting Mike to only miss one start

#9 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

Rocco said on mlb radio expecting Mike to only miss one start

Thanks, good to hear that.

Smeltzer could start tonight, then get sent back down after the game -- maybe for a Nelson Cruz activation, before our next game (Thursday)?

Pineda would be eligible to return June 7, and we wouldn't need a 5th starter again until June 8 (although we wouldn't have needed one tonight either, if we had used Perez).

#10 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,026 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

O/U up to 10 (from 9.5) and Minn to -110 (from -115) for the game tonight .... Vegas didn't like Smeltzer replacing Perez

• 70charger likes this

#11 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

Welcome to the big leagues kid, here's Christian Yelich.

• Steve Lein, Mike Sixel, scottz and 8 others like this

#12 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:31 AM

It scherly smeltz like that.

I don't usually vote up schtuff like that, but thish one was schpecial. 

• ashbury, Riverbrian and David HK like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#13 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:34 AM

Sounds like Devin Smeltzer rates a cuppa coffee if anybody ever did. I wonder if beating cancer will give him the kind of perspective on pressure that combat veterans have for professional sports. People that have faced death sometimes laugh at the idea that a 3-2 count with a runner on third base is pressure. If they fail, a guy moves ninety feet, and a number changes on the scoreboard. Hahahahahaha!

May your life experiences serve you well, Devin Smeltzer. Welcome to the Show.

• brvama, Craig Arko, Oldgoat_MN and 9 others like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#14 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 194 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

The front office sure knows how to work the IL, and roster movement.Next year this will not be as easy when they go back to 15 day IL and believe I read longer stints at AAA when sent down, may be wrong about second part, but know 15 day IL is back.To me they know how to work the rules in their favor.  

Here is to hoping Smeltzer can shut down the brew crew, split the series and head down to Tampa on a good note. 

• Mike Sixel, scottz, Nine of twelve and 1 other like this

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

I agree, the FO seems to be doing well with the rules this year, though the Cruz thing is a bit hard to understand at this point....

• mikelink45 and Nine of twelve like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,269 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:30 PM

The front office sure knows how to work the IL, and roster movement.Next year this will not be as easy when they go back to 15 day IL and believe I read longer stints at AAA when sent down, may be wrong about second part, but know 15 day IL is back.To me they know how to work the rules in their favor.  

Here is to hoping Smeltzer can shut down the brew crew, split the series and head down to Tampa on a good note. 

IIRC, there will be an extra player next year (26-man roster), so some of this will be moot.

#17 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:31 PM

I agree, the FO seems to be doing well with the rules this year, though the Cruz thing is a bit hard to understand at this point....

There's really not much to it. Cruz has a sore wrist and Twins want to rest him. Offense has been doing fine without Cruz so there's no need to rush him. 

Edited by MNT1996, 28 May 2019 - 12:31 PM.

• Otwins and Nine of twelve like this

#18 spycake

spycake

• 16,962 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

though the Cruz thing is a bit hard to understand at this point....

Perhaps they figured they didn't need Cruz vs the White Sox (correct), and they were postponing his activation until they did this little starting pitcher dance with Pineda and Smeltzer? Although some might say we could have used him vs Milwaukee...

Assuming they send down Smeltzer and activate Cruz before the Tampa series, that lets them keep Arraez, Astudillo, and all the current relievers on the roster too, until Garver or Pineda is ready to come back.

• Mike Sixel, PseudoSABR and Nine of twelve like this

#19 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,370 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:32 PM

Optimistically, I'm thinking it's a great strategic move that...

• Buys a skipping of the rotation one time on Pineda, who, as Spycake notes above, is on pace for an innings total that approaches career highs, which is particularly significant when bouncing back from injury. It does the skip when, on the way back from injury, he may building up a backlog of fatigue that could be addressed well with the skip.
  • Picks up an "off day" in the schedule for Perez, Berrios, Odo, Gibson, when there haven't been many off days over the past six-seven weeks.
  • Rewards Smeltzer for the great work he's done in the minors and gives him a taste of MLB.
  • Happens at a time when the bullpen is relatively rested and headed 

Pessimistically...

• Wait, at 35-18, I don't do pessimistically. 

• nicksaviking, Riverbrian, jokin and 4 others like this

#20 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 387 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

He is still feeling it in his wrist and they would rather let him get to 100%.

Do-Hyoung Park

Nelson Cruz, whose left wrist is still sore but improving, continues to be cautious with his recovery and noted that the Twins' current success at the plate helps him avoid pushing his recovery timeline. The Twins did not plan to have Cruz hit again on Saturday or Sunday.

"I don't want it to be something I'm dealing with all year long," Cruz said. "I want to make sure when I go out there it's 100 percent. Only when I'm swinging."

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and jokin like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, martin perez, devin smeltzer