Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (5/26): Kernels Pop, Duran K’s 14

travis blankenhorn jhoan duran josh winder nick gordon royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,501 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:56 AM

That's not exactly true -- he's given up no earned runs in 5 of his last 7 (no runs at all in 4 of his 7). Still not sure if that's a meaningful accomplishment for a reliever. Jay hasn't pitched particularly well over that time:

7 G, 13.1 IP, 16 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 6 BB, 16 K, 2 HBP

At least 2 baserunners in every appearance, .745 opponent OPS during this stretch, in a league with a .670 overall for the season

Age 25, repeating AA... not to pick on Jay, but there's nothing to see here so far.

That said, effective relievers can sometimes ascend rapidly, seemingly out of nowhere, so I'm sure Jay will continue getting chances with his pedigree. Unless someone takes him in Rule 5, he's controlled by the Twins through 2021, even without a 40-man roster spot.

I may have used the wrong word.Would have been better had I said "not as bad" or "better".What caught my eye was that he had several games that weren't ugly.

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,948 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

I may have used the wrong word.Would have been better had I said "not as bad" or "better".What caught my eye was that he had several games that weren't ugly.

Yeah, but Jay's done this before too. Last year, he had a 1.59 ERA through June 4th, and even a 2.84 ERA through July 24th. But his peripherals/RA9 were less than inspiring.

I'm pretty much done paying attention to him until he dominates for a bit in peripherals, or he moves up a level.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#23 spycake

spycake

• 16,948 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

The only saving grace for Jay is that his BABIP was a bit high, at .395, during those 7 games. Take away three or four hits and maybe his numbers look better? In any case, his being 25 says to me, get him to AAA pronto, and let's make some final decisions on him. It's not like he's being blocked by an entire staff of high-performers at Rochester.

Wouldn't it also be at least a little intriguing to let the major league coaching staff have a crack at him soon?

The way the ball is flying in Rochester, it might be pretty disastrous to put him there if he's not ready. (According to xFIP, his improvement this season seems to be in HR rate.)

Although yes, one has to wonder if he's stagnating a bit in AA. I think he still has enough to prove that it shouldn't be an issue. And the AA club has a new manager, pitching coaches, and trainer as compared to 2018, so he's already working with some new people, even at the same level.

• MN_ExPat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travis blankenhorn, jhoan duran, josh winder, nick gordon, royce lewis